Got connection failed with a MS outlook mail

Around year+ ago there was some issues with using outlook on em client,
I recall checking here and see the issue didn’t only occurred on my end and someone from the staff saying MS changed something on their end and put instructions about how to edit the mail settings in the account temporarily, which worked for me,

But while it worked great till now, in the last month I’ve kept getting really slow connecting time from eM client when it tries to load my outlook account, it even sometimes resulted in that red danger icon that saying the connection failed only for it to work when I’ve told it to refresh manually (telling it to receive/send mails in other words),

But in the last few days it got more and more often to the point it wasn’t just slow or gave me that red error icon till I refresh few times to the point it worked, But actually gotten worse to the point I’m not receiving mails now at all.
|
|
|
|
|
Some useful info so far:

I’m only using one mail account at eM client.

My outlook account work just fine anywhere else.

My internet connection is working stable in general.

My AV not blocks eM client afaik by any means.

I’m currently using
imap-mail.outlook.com and smtp-mail.outlook.com with force Usage of SSL/TLS which was what solved the issue year ago and worked till very recently,
I Did tried to use Legacy SSL/TLS option there and it didn’t worked,
Lastly I’ve also tried whatever ports and Imap/Smtp addresses Outlook told to use for other clients and it also didn’t worked.

I’ve tried to open new account and used the Outlook option in the window there where it automatically set the settings for outlook and it also showed me a red error icon with connection failed warning and unlike my old settings above, it not showing any sign to connect at all even with forced or legacy SSL/TLS,
Also opening an ordinary mail account rather than an outlook focused one didn’t worked either (despite how that was what I was using with an outlook addresse to this day).

I’ve tried the diagnosis button and at first the results were random with both IMAP and SMTP not establishing a connection, or just the SMTP being connected,
but now it seem to show that always the SMTP connected successfully while the IMAP is not,
And the fix button didn’t managed to solve the issue too.

I’m out of options and need your help,
I assume the next thing I may need to do is send a log but dk where it is xD.

I have the exact same issue as above

1 Like

Hi Doom - I’ve had exactly the same experience - connection failed for incoming Outlook mail ever since 16 July but can send mail with no problem. No problem if I go to the Outlook website but frustrated that can’t use eM Client and can’t find any helpful messages there. Like you I tried to use Legacy SSL/TLS option mentioned in another forum thread and it didn’t work either (Can't receive mails - #8 by jwhelbron). Also had same experience using diagnosis button which confirmed SMTP OK but IMAP not, and ‘fix’ didn’t help.
It all sounds very like the previous incident with Microsoft oAuth certificate being withheld from email clients and causing chaos, and so I can’t understand why there aren’t more messages appearing!
Here’s hoping …

1 Like

The settings for MS free accounts should be these:

If that is what you have and completely disabling any anti-virus, firewall, proxy or VPN, and restarting your router does not resolve it, then the error which you will find in Menu > Operations > Log tab will be useful. Just look for the IMAP error for your MS account.

Thanks Gary - I’ve copied the log from the latest of many failed attempts since 16 July to link with my MS Outlook account (SMTP fine; IMAP fails and can’t be fixed). Is there an address I can forward it to for assessment please?

Here is the log when the settings are as you said (Not working btw)
Note that I’ve changed my mail address to “MyMail”

01:44:25 Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability
01:44:25 MyMail IMAP Synchronizing folder list
01:45:57 MyMail [IMAP] MailClient.Accounts.AbortedException: Connection could not be created while going offline.
—> System.OperationCanceledException: Connect operation was cancelled
—> MailClient.Imap.Base.ByeException: Connection was closed

This is an emClient problem. I have the same problem on almost the same day as SISIFUSS. Tried other email clients and they all worked just fine. It’s not a try this or try that kinda solution. Problem is with eM Client. Needs work.

1 Like

I think the same, since I’ve also tried everything and it still doesn’t work; it needs an update to fix it.

There will have been an error before 01:45 giving the reason it could not connect. You have not included that in the post.

No, this is either a server or connection issue. As I said I tested it with some accounts and am not able to reproduce it. Have you contacted your email provider yet?

Nothing has changed in the eM Client app, so why do you think it is a problem with eM Client? It was working just fine, then something happened and now it is not working for you. If you did not change any settings in eM Client, then this is a server or connection issue.

I really don’t understand why this Gary’s full time job appears to be to deflect all responsibility away from em client. I have been having problems with both OUTLOOK accounts for weeks now with em client. I have reinstalled and recreated my outlook accounts, going through the full oauth2 wizard in em client. It still says connection error. The EXACT SAME accounts work perfectly using MS outlook, thunderbird, and Opera Mail (again using oauth2).

Clearly nothing has changed in em client but it needs to change, since MS seems to have changed their oauth2 process and all other mail client work.

Why can’t you accept there is a problem with em client and actually fix it? Why are you telling paid customers to go to MS when YOU should be going to MS? No other client has this issue and the error in your logs is repeatedly about connection timeout (to the very same servers that Thunderbird can connect to successfully).

Its obvious to anyone who does a brief analysis of this, that if every other client has no problem with MS but yours does, then the problem is you.

Can you investigate the OAUTH2 process your app is using and perhaps check if your MS oauth2 app certificate is still valid or some other issue?

Can you explain as a method of troubleshooting, why Thunderbird is able to connect to MS outlook365 but your app cannot? Perhaps actually get your developers to look into this use case?

It is doubtful this is a oAuth issue without seeing evidence of that in the logs. So far, none have been provided in this topic that indicate a oAuth issue.

The settings for MS free accounts should be these:

You can also try the combination of port 143 and Use SSL/TLS if available. If you used those and completely disabling any anti-virus, firewall, proxy or VPN, and restarting your router does not resolve it, then the error which you will find in Menu > Operations > Log tab will be useful. Just look for the IMAP error for your MS account.

The setup is exactly as you describe,

Here is the log right after using em client’s own oauth2 wizard:

11:55:51.724|001| eM Client 9.2.1713+533b904605 (Windows)
11:55:51.725|033| Account’s UID is XXXXXXXX
11:55:51.725|033| AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState : State changed to ONLINE due User
11:55:51.726|033| >>> ListFoldersAsync(): Start
11:55:51.726|033| WARNING no INBOX folder found to watch!
11:55:52.091|033| 01: Connecting to imap-mail.outlook.com:993
11:56:22.093|033| 01: A1 LOGOUT
11:56:22.416|033| 01: — CMD LOGOUT WAS CANCELLED
11:56:22.416|033| 01: — RECEIVE CANCELLED
11:56:22.416|033| 01: Connection 1 was closed, deliberate = False
11:56:22.416|033| >>> COMMAND CONNECTION EXCEPTION (retry: True): MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
11:56:22.416|033| —> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout.
11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| --- End of inner exception stack trace --- 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(Folder mailFolder, Boolean noSelect) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionContext.CreateContextAsync(ImapAccount account) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.ListFoldersAsync(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GetFolderList(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.<EnqueueGetFolderList>b__0(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<.ctor>b__0(WorkerStatus ws, CancellationToken ct) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status) 11:56:22.416|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status) 11:56:22.416|033| >>> ListFoldersAsync(): Start 11:56:22.416|033| 02: Connecting to imap-mail.outlook.com:993... 11:56:52.419|033| 02: A1 LOGOUT 11:56:52.732|033| 02: --- CMD LOGOUT WAS CANCELLED 11:56:52.732|033| 02: --- RECEIVE CANCELLED 11:56:52.733|033| >>> ConnectionPoolEntry.CloseAsync(): Failed to connect: MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. 11:56:52.733|033| ---> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout. 11:56:52.734|033| at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.734|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.734|033| — End of inner exception stack trace —
11:56:52.734|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.735|033| >>> COMMAND CONNECTION EXCEPTION: MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
11:56:52.735|033| —> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout.
11:56:52.735|033| at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ConnectAsync(Func`2 getStream, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| — End of inner exception stack trace —
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.ConnectInternalAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(Folder mailFolder, Boolean noSelect)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionContext.CreateContextAsync(ImapAccount account)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.ListFoldersAsync(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GetFolderList(IListFoldersProgress progress, Folder homeFolder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__0(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<.ctor>b__0(WorkerStatus ws, CancellationToken ct)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status)
11:56:52.736|033| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

Same problem. Solved this issue ages ago by switching from legacy to force SSL/TLS, which worked until a few days ago when everyone else also started to experience some kind of problem. The similar timing seems to suggest something. Trying legacy instantly gives me the red triangle, but the force SSL/TLS option which worked for me for a while tries to connect but fails after a minute of trying. Same result even if I disable my antivirus and firewall. I’ll post my error log as well.

20:36:26 [email protected] [IMAP] MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Synchronizing folder list failed due to the following error: Server did not respond in 00:01:00
—> System.TimeoutException: Server did not respond in 00:01:00
at MailClient.Imap.Base.Extensions.CopyToAsyncWithTimer(Stream source, PipeWriter writer, TimeoutTimer timer, ITaskSource readDemandSource, Action1 loggingCallback, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Imap.Base.TransportPipe.StartReading(Stream stream, CancellationToken token) at System.IO.Pipelines.Pipe.GetReadResult(ReadResult& result) at System.IO.Pipelines.Pipe.GetReadAsyncResult() at System.IO.Pipelines.Pipe.DefaultPipeReader.GetResult(Int16 token) at MailClient.Imap.Base.Extensions.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<<ReadLineAsync>g__SlowAsyncPath|1>d.MoveNext() --- End of stack trace from previous location --- at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.ReceiveAsync() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status) at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status) at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status) --- End of stack trace from previous location --- at MailClient.Storage.Synchronization.FolderSynchronizerExtensions.SynchronizeSubfoldersAsync(IFolderSynchronizer synchronizer, Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.SynchronizeIntAsync(Boolean forced) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<SynchronizeAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext() IMAP_SERVER_TYPE = Outlook EnqueuedStackTrace = at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.GoOnlinePre() at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapFolderSynchronizer.GoOnlinePre() at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.GoOnlineInt() at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.ChangeOnlineState(Boolean online, OfflineReason offlineReason) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.GoOnline() at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline[T](Func1 actionIfOnline, Func`1 actionIfOffline)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.Synchronize(SynchronizationPriority priority)
at MailClient.Accounts.BindingAccountBase.Receive()
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.ReceiveAllInternal(Boolean checkIncludeInGlobalOperations)
at MailClient.Accounts.AccountManager.SendAndReceiveAll(Boolean checkIncludeInGlobalOperations)
at MailClient.Accounts.DesktopAccountManager.timerSendAndReceive_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Interop.User32.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.Interop.Mso.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(UIntPtr dwComponentID, msoloop uReason, Void* pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(msoloop reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)
at MailClient.Program.<>c.b__185_3()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

1 Like

Eh, didn’t looked here for bit and suddenly got a lot of comments xD,

Either way, can’t say I’ve noticed anything like my net being disconnected when I’ve tested the log, nor did anything specific aside from turning off my AV for the test just to be on the safe side,

I can do it again and send the log,
But I’m too believe the issues lies somewhere on eM not getting along with MS changes,

Thunderbird for example works fine (tested it out before people here start mentioned it)

eM also worked very slowly with outlook recently when it come to sync the mails from the account,

Part of me start wondering if it is an issue that was caused by installing the last update back then when it was out, on top of the former version over doing a clean install,
But someone in the forum said they did just that and the issue was still there so idk anymore

I think Microsoft changed something like how free accounts are allowed to connect through 3rd party email clients.

I went to Accounts and for each account, I had 3 old hotmail accounts, go to Diagnostics tab, click on Diagnose button. The SMTP and IMAP settings will be tested. Mine had failed the IMAP diagnostics. I then clicked Fix button and after a little bit, it was fixed.

Back to normal working hotmail accounts.

Since the update had problems with the account. Somehow the imap port was changed. I corrected it to these given by Gary via the Diagnostics tab in Accounts and Hey Presto, all fine !

Could you share this diagnostic information?

I’ve just tried to have this sorted out by eM Client support and they’ve not been able to do anything.

This issue has afflicted all my Outlook addresses since last Friday.

Best,

f.

Well, I clicked on Accounts, highlighted the email I was having trouble with which was my hotmail address,. clicked on IMAP tab, changed the port to 993, changed the security policy menu which has 4 options to Use SSL / TLS … and that was it. I clicked on the x at the top right corner and then when the option appeared, clicked on SAVE & CLOSE (which is essential).
Which is what Gary was saying in a shortened version of this.
Hope this helps