eMclient with Linux

Hello,

I would like to know if it’s possible to use eMclient on Ubuntu ?

2 Likes

This question was raised in the forum before.

The problem lies within .NET framework, which is what eM relies to run. You can’t have a 100% .NET environment in Linux, regardless of emulation or 3rd party project of .NET replacement. Best bet is to use virtualization.

Thanks

Any plans to release a Linux version? (I understand this might be a bridge too far/ a bit much to ask given the .NET reliance). But it really is a nice email client. I only discovered it today and will be recommending it to clients from here on as a viable email client. (I run a repair/ consultnacy firm). This is really amoung the best I have seen to date. I ask about the Linux for myself really. Other than Thunderbird the selection of viable email clients (IMHO) in Linux is rather thin. At any: Great Job!

2 Likes

Hi, Linux version of eM Client is currently not under consideration.
eM Client can be run on Linux using wine, but we’re not planning a native version, maybe in future.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi,
After years of using only Linux, I installed Windows and I was looking for a mail client with native CardDAV support. I was really impressed of the eMclient and its smooth workflow/interface (I just missed PGP support).
So I hope you will release a native Linux version one day (maybe using Qt instead of .NET/mono ;D )

Good work!

2 Likes

Hello. Any plans to native Linux version of eM Client for Linux? Noone of my friends and colleagues uses Windows (include me) but must lease PC with it (or uses double booting) to use the program. We want leave Windows completely, but cannot do it yet. Can we have a hope to see eM Client for Linux?
P.S. Sorry for my English…

1 Like

Hi Paul!

Please think about it. I have upgraded recently to 8 but my Windows10 really sucks. I have installed Ubuntu on another laptop and I really like it. It reminds me when I started dealing with PCs back in the early 90s when Windows was nothing else but 3.1 and ran on DOS. I am tired of Windows, slow machines with heavy software on it. I am looking forward to the day you guys will release the Unix version.

Cheers!

3 Likes

You could do like TeamViewer and release it as a package with its own configured wine support included

hi there

i left ms windows 10 cause of bsod so frequently and i don’t plain again to retry another cup of cofee fo the os.

so i jump the unix door and ring the bell with ubuntu. i’d like to know if it’s a possibility to port emclient on deb paquet. some other done it, and i switch to them.

but emclient worked so good for me that i would like to know if theere really no chance to see emclient ported on linux through packets ?

thanks

reguards

1 Like

You can maybe try to run it on “Wine” which is a windows emulator not sure how well it will do but you can try.

I never had much success with Wine because of the .NET dependency that eM Client has. It could be that I just did not setup .NET properly in Wine, then it just seemed to be such an endeavour to get it fixed. I did get it installed using CrossOver but occasionally got GTK warnings, and of course the application was not fully integrated in my GNOME desktop.

Linux Desktops have come a long way, and installing applications should be simple, which they are in most cases. You don’t really want to have to organize an install party just to get a single Windows application installed, and then after the next kernel update, find the whole thing is broken.

But if anyone has had recent success with Wine, or any other compatibility layer, I would be all ears and eyes. :eyes:

BTW Shaun, Wine is not an emulator. It is even in the acronym - Wine Is Not an Emulator. :sweat_smile:

For what its worth, I have been trying emClient (most recently v8.2) on WINE for a while. I’ve had various degrees of success with previous versions of both WINE and emClient in the past but none more so than now. I get the impression we’re close, but still no cigar. Everything works fine (for me, at least) until the “Demo” period expires and I’m required to enter a License Activation Key. I’ve tried both graphically (it seems to be entering a non-existent space after the License key is entered - which causes activation failure) and with CLI (using the “/activate” argument) with no success. I also tried importing the settings.xml file (which contains the LastActivationKey entry line) with no success. This effectively stops me from using/testing the program further.

It seems I can change every OTHER setting, though. Adding accounts, Sending/Receiving (in Demo Mode), Theming, etc…

But… Maybe soon.

1 Like

There may be some security libraries missing from your WINE setup.

Also, one thing to note is that eM Client will not activate on Windows XP.

What version of Windows do you have winecfg set to?

Yeah - I was wondering the same thing… I’ve got some playing around to do… Anything you’ve already tried? Or documented elsewhere I can look at?

Good tip about XP… Thanks. I’ve tried Win7 and Win10 compatibility layers.

You happen to know whether the emClient specifically likes the architecture to be 32 or 64?

Side note: I also have a problem adding a Gmail account, but after looking around, I see I’m not the only one.

@Gary, I was just re-reading your last post and I missed the part where you said “security libraries”… I initially read it quick to say “system libraries”… What “security” libraries are you referring to? I’ve been playing around with adding various libraries (like the various dotnet libraries, etc.) and even tried adding some DLLs manually/directly copied over from windoze (which isn’t as straightforward as it sounds), with no luck.

Ultimately, I only have so much time to fool around with this, but maybe I’m missing something “security” related?

Thanks!

Hello,

I don’t get why it would be so hard to release a Linux version when you have a Mac OS version. I don’t think you would even have to support every flavor. Just pick one major distro like Debian, Fedora or CentOS.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Also, it appears this is the highest viewed thread in the forum. 4 thousand views where most seem to average about one hundred.

1 Like

Yes eM Client could just pick a major flavour of Linux, but Linux (on the desktop) as of 2021 stats according to many websites is still only 1.93% of the global market, so the cost to create a mail client for very little global users may not be something the company wants to do. Not viable.

But they could reuse the code from Mac client. They would mostly just need to address some paths that would be different.
Desktop Linux has come so far. I am writing this response from my POP_OS laptop.

3 Likes