EMC not starting properly on Windows 10

I doubt that.

I don’t think that is a solution to get eM Client working, except as an extreme last resort. You would have to be a fanatical, die-hard eM Client user, forsaking all other email clients, to do that. :wink:

Almost described myself there. LOL!

Saying that, I do a reformat of the hard disk and a complete reinstall of the OS about once a year. The result is that I have practically no issues with installing and running applications. But then I am also very conscious of how some application affect others and the OS. I don’t install applications to do a task that the OS can already reliably do. Like anti-virus applications. If you are using Windows 10, Windows Defender is an excellent anti-virus/malware tool. There is no need to install third-party applications to do the same task, which invariably cause issues. We have seen that with Avast being the main culprit for blocking eM Client’s internet access.

Just saying.

This is an excellent practice. Having your data on an IMAP or Exchange server means it is safe in the event of an application crash, and is simultaneously available on other devices like your phone. And if eM Client is down for a few days while Support figures out what is wrong, just use your web browser to manage your messaging.

2 Likes

@pefunk have you tried even just disabling all the items in the “Startup” Tab in Task Manager and rebooting to see if that has any effect on the EMC closing issue ?. Normally the only thing in there by default is the eg: Win 10 Windows Security icon, Cortana icon, One Drive icon on new Win 10 installs.

1 Like

Or starting in Safe Mode?

Well, today I disabled all start-up iItems except the ones that I cannot live without (monitor calibration, keyboard driver, Windows security, Epson printer connection). These have a higher priority for me than any mail program.
Lets see what happens. What drives me crazy, is that I see no logical pattern: sometimes eM Client closes correctly ten times and then the bug suddenly appears the next three times that I close the program. I already had reported to support, that setting up eM Client as an exception in my security apps had solved my problem, when out of the blue the bug was there again.
Maybe the analysis of the mailclient.dmp file can bring some insight.

I joined this forum for this very reason, I have had some communication on em facebook page with this issue but nothing constructive.
If you look in your Taskmanager u will notice emclient is still present after you shut it down, when u start it up again it may not work and if it does it will give you the message it did not shut down properly blah blah

BUT I URGE U ALL to back up your emails, for some unknown reason and this has only happened once so far, when em tries to correct the errors on startup it deleted almost ALL my emails, years of receipts, communication and memories, BUT… I was fortunate I had made an acronis backup just two days previously. To be safe I now export emails daily to another drive in EML format.

It is also worth noting these problems only began with the new emclient update (paid version) for me, I am also using Windows 10 20H2 19042.685. Also Norton Security and Malwarebytes is set to allow emclient…

Latest development:
Support replied to me today
"we are still working on a fix but there is a workaround which worked for couple of users. Can you please test it and let me know if that worked for you, too?
1. go to menu > settings > general > general
2. if the option “empty trash on exit” is checked, please uncheck it
3. try to replicate the issue."

This workaround - I tried all day today closing and opening eM Client - actually seems to work for me. You should try it as well. It seems, eM Client developers are on the right track now.

I am guessing then that option “empty trash on exit” then must be referring to “local emc trash” folder ? Or does that option also automatically clear any type of mail account trash folders on exit.

I am extremely interested in your successful reversion to v8.0.3385 from the botched v8.1 update. My currently unresponsive eM Client was exactly caused by the failure between these two versions on December 7. I simply want to return back to where I was before the v8.1 update, which is what you just accomplished with success. Would you please confirm to me that in the process of doing that, (1) you uninstalled the botched v8.1, (2) you selected to delete the database when prompted for a decision for its database during the uninstalling move, (3) you reinstall v8.0.3385 from the “Release History”, and (4) once v8.0.3385 had been reinstalled you restored the database from a backup file? Did you safely get back all the email files existed before the botched v8.1 update? If your answers to these two questions are both YES, I want to copy your moves exactly! I would be immensely grateful if you can respond to this inquiry and confirm the concrete steps in your successful conversion above narrated.

Relatedly, I see a “eM Client” folder in my laptop’s C: Drive and in it there are backups at three points in time; and I have made a copy of that entire folder into an external storage device. My question is: do these files fit your definition of “backup”? And which one should I use for restoring the database in the move (4) above, the one in the C: Drive or the one in the external storage device?

Thanks a million in advance!

I now use Thunderbird* for my email as it now connects “natively” to Google, but in answer to your questions:

(1) Yes
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4) I used the backups that eMClient periodically takes.

I got all my emails back but as I use GSuite and GMail it was not the backup that brought me up to date as my email is IMAP, so all of the mail was still on the mail server and just got downloaded / updated. I used the backup file just to restore the “connections” to Google to save a bit of typing and re-authorising. Being IMAP I needn’t have done that. If I had just entered my credentials again into an “empty” client it would have restored everything. Using the backup meant that I did not have to reauthorise my multiple accounts.

*This is not an advert for Thunderbird as it is still a chore trying to get some sensible kind of font / view for received and composing emails (something eMClient excels at). I just wanted to quickly move to a mail client that would remain up-to-date rather than sticking with an old version of eMClient that kept nagging me to update to a non-working version.

Thank you for your all positive reply regarding my preference of returning back to v8.0.3385 rather than trying to update to v8.1X, which obviously is not yet fully mature for rolling out. Data safety is our utmost concern and it is rather frustrating to find out the safe way of safeguarding it via hitting the walls on all directions rather than via clear instructions from the software engineering side. We feel very fortunate that you added clarity in the process of finding the correct way. Cheers!

It includes both Local and server folders.

1 Like

That also explaines, why sometimes eM Client closed correctly - when there was no trash to empty on shut down - and other times didn’t.

If eM Client regularly shuts down incorrectly and therefor you have a database check on start, which describes your settings best:

Please select:
  • I have empty trash on exit selected.
  • I don’t have empty trash on exit selected.
  • I have empty trash on exit selected but eM Client shuts down correctly.

0 voters

I am starting to think this is correct, I have not crashed or had any remaining processes yet today since unchecking the empty bin on exit, it might be luck…
Cheers

Re: Emptying trash on exit.

I’ve been testing constantly “emptying trash on exit” and “disabling empty trash on exit” on two different Windows 10 20H2 with EMC V8.1.876 .

One of my pcs (with empty trash on exit enabled) does close and reopen perfectly without errors.

However the other pc, has a database checking error on startup every time like clockwork if that’s enabled. As soon as I disable empty trash on exit, that pc then also opens EMC fine with no error checking on startup.

Re: Emptying trash on exit.

After another 10 mins later of re-testing my 2nd pc enabling and disabling emptying of trash on exit, and closing and reopening EMC numerous times, its now working fine on both of my pcs. Weird.

So it does appear to be some sort of glitch / bug in EMC V8.1.876 with Win 10 V20H2 with whatever it does when it automatically clears the trash on exit.

I can now confidently concur that the issue is related to the empty trash on exit being checked, 3 days have now passed with no issue since unchecking it…

2 Likes

That’s great Ryan. :smile:

1 Like

Today’s release, 8.1.965, might address this issue. It is described as having “some fixes for application shutdown”.

You can download it directly from the Release History

1 Like

With the new version the problem seems to be solved. I re-selected “empty trash on shut down” and everything works as expected.

1 Like