Emails sent on other devices do not appear under Sent

I send emails also from my handheld. These sent emails do not appear under Sent in my eMClient running on my laptop. Can I make that happen?

If both devices are connected to the same email account using IMAP or Exchange, then the sent folder will be synced.

If your account is using POP3, then it is not possible.

This is happening to me, too. I switched over to IMAP to avoid this problem so that all email would be synced on my three devices (smart phone, computer, and tablet.) All of the inbox items sync, and if I read one on my phone, then it shows as “read” in emclient, etc. However, emClient is not syncing the “sent” folder. I sent an email from my phone, and it shows up in the “sent” box on the phone and also in the “sent” box on the server (Comcast). However, it does not show up in emClient. I have refreshed, everything, but still doesn’t sync to emClient. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Can you go to Menu > Tools > Accounts , and on the IMAP tab check that Automatically detect special folder names is selected.

It would be good if another Comcast user could comment. Maybe that is not the correct name for the special folder.

I checked that, too. Comcast names the folder on the server, “sent”, and it also is called “sent” on eM Client. I’m bummed because that’s the main reason I switched to IMAP, so I could send an email from my phone, for example, and still have it in the sent folder in eM Client and also on the server.

I just tried making a “draft” email, and that folder syncs through all devices and also immediately shows up in eM Client drafts folder.

Not quite what I mean. These are the actual server names for the folder, which are not necessarily the same as what you see in the email app. Therefor this setting is there to change them if they are different.

If the Sent folder is a sub-folder of Inbox then it is named something like INBOX/Sent. On some servers there is a difference between sent and Sent. 

One thing you can try is to remove the account from eM Client, then add it again. It is possible there is some corruption.

Gary, another Comcast user just checked the “Me too” box for my post. Sent folder will not sync.

Did you try removing the account from eM Client then adding it again?

Also, are you getting any errors. You can find them in Menu > Tools > Operations. Look both in Error and Log tabs.

There was one error in Error tab stating that an attempt to connect failed and it could be due to temporary server unavailability or account settings. Account settings look okay. The log file shows entries starting at about 8:00 a.m. and goes through now, there are hundreds of entries, but none of them say errors, just a list of everything it did. There are several entries showing that synchronizing subfolders was done, including the ‘sent’ folder. I have not tried removing the account yet, but I’ll do it now.  [EDIT] Oops…it said if I remove the account, all my local folders will be gone. I don’t want to lose that!

If the account is IMAP, then the folders are a synced copy of what is on the server. Deleting them locally will not delete what is on the server.

If the account is setup as POP3, removing the account will definitely delete the data.

If in doubt, make a backup first. Menu > File > Backup. Or move any messages you want to keep from your IMAP folders to Local Folders. If you can’t see the Local Folders, you can enable them in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Show Local Folders.

If the account is IMAP, then the folders are a synced copy of what is on the server. Deleting them locally will not delete what is on the server.

If the account is setup as POP3, removing the account will definitely delete the data.

If in doubt, make a backup first. Menu > File > Backup. Or move any messages you want to keep from your IMAP folders to Local Folders. If you can’t see the Local Folders, you can enable them in Menu > Tools > Settings > General > Show Local Folders.

It seemed to work just the opposite for me. My account used to be POP3, and if I deleted anything on eM Client, I could still go back to the server and it was still there. I changed the account to IMAP, and now any time I delete an email on any device, it also deletes it on the server.

Yes, that is the function of IMAP. The messages are stored on the server, and the devices each have a cached copy of that. When you change something on one device, you are actually changing what is on the server. So if you delete an email on your phone, you are deleting the email on the server, and as the other devices sync with the server, the email will be deleted from them also.

POP3 works differently as the messages are stored on the computer. There may be a copy left on the server depending on you POP3 settings, but once the email is downloaded to the POP3 client, there is no further relationship with anything left on the server.

Then isn’t what you said in your previous post wrong? You said: “… If the account is IMAP, then the folders are a synced copy of what is on the server. Deleting them locally will not delete what is on the server.” Did you mean to say POP?

No, that is exactly correct. This is referring to the account removal warning, as that was your question. When removing the account from eM Client, the folders are deleted locally. With IMAP, the remote messages on the server are not deleted. This is different to you deleting them yourself.

I think maybe the developers have also used a generic warning for both POP3 and IMAP, for which removing the account does not ultimately have the same effect.

Let me try again, and maybe I won’t get a double entry this time.

=====================================================

If the account is IMAP, then the folders are a synced copy of what is on the server. When deleting the account from eM Client, the folders will be removed from the application, but will not be deleted from the server.

If the account is setup as POP3, the messages are stored locally, so removing the account will definitely delete the data.

I’m sorry–I hate to sound like an airhead, but one more question: What about my “local” folders? It sounds like I will lose those.