Email sent doesn't appear on Sent folder after archive it

Hi, I am testing EM Client, coming from Thunderbird.

I have more than 20 email accounts, and they are IMAP accounts (not Gmail or Hotmail, self-server email accounts)

The conversation views is on.

Your client is doing something that I didn’t expect:

1. I receive a new email which I see on “all inbox” view.

2. Then, I answer the email.

3. After that, I select the conversation on the “all inbox” view and click the Archive button.

4. Then, I expected the email I sent appears on Sents view (as I have sent an email) and Sent folder of that IMAP account, but the email is not showing on Sent, only on archive folder.

Why the email is not showing on Sent folder/view? And how can it be show there?

Thanks, best regards.

1 Like

Just to add:

Settings > mail > send “Save copy of sent messages in “Sent” folder” is ON.

I have made more tests:

1. When I use webmail for the same SMTP account, if I archive a conversation with one email answered with this account, the sent email of that conversation is stored on Sent folder.

2. When I use Thunderbird for the same SMTP account, if I archive a conversation with one email answered with this account, the sent email of that conversation is stored on Sent folder.

3. The problem is with EM Client, if I archive a conversation with one email answered with this account, the sent email of that conversation is not stored on Sent folder, neither on local sent folder.

4. I have made this change on EM Client: Settings > View > Conversations I have change to “Conversation in message preview”, and then, if I archive the last incoming email of a conversation with one email answered with this account, the sent email of that conversation is stored on Sent folder.

The question is, how can it be archived and showed on sent email with the first option of conversations turned on (Conversation in all views)?

Thanks, best regards.

I have this same issue.

This does not seem to be expected behaviour. Indeed, as @pacopino said, this isn’t what happens in other e-mail clients or webmail.

Sent items should always show in the Sent folder, even if the thread was archived from Inbox.

The only exception might be if they are archived from the Sent folder itself.

If you archive the conversation, the whole conversation is moved from the various folders where the messages exist, to the archive. After all, that is what you asked eM Client to do, isn’t it?

that is what you asked eM Client to do, isn’t it?

Not necessarily, no.

Logically, an e-mail can both be Archived and Sent:-

• “Archived”, because you are done with it being in your Inbox.
  • “Sent”, because you sent an e-mail.
  • Both can be true at the same time.

“Sent” should show you every e-mail you have ever sent. By definition, that is what it is - a view to see your sent e-mails.

You might want to Archive a thread of e-mails, but still see e-mails in the Sent folder… because you sent e-mails.

Indeed, this is how GMail works, and this is how other e-mail clients work. - If you Archive an e-mail chain with emails you have sent, those e-mails still show in the Sent folder… unless you archive them from the Sent folder.

Yes, that is what happens. If you click on a conversation and choose Archive, the conversation is archived.

Then archiving the conversation is not for you. If this is for a Gmail account, just remove the Inbox label from the Inbox message instead.

Yes, that is what happens. If you click on a conversation and choose Archive, the conversation is archived.

Repeating back what currently happens is not helpful when talking about what should happen, or what might be expected to happen, which is the whole point of this post.

Then archiving the conversation is not for you.

Or, emClient is built to work in a way that is completely different to expected behaviour established by other clients, GMail, etc etc.

And so the emClient team might actually want to reconsider how those things are set up/work. Hence why customers like OP and myself bring these things up.

If this is for a Gmail account

It’s not a GMail account.

That is what should happen because that is what you instructed the application to do. If you selected to archive a conversation, that is exactly what we do. That is what currently happens, because it is what should happen, and exactly what is expected to happen.

But why would you expect only some of it to be archived when you asked for the conversation to be archived? That would be a bug if we archived only some of the messages you asked to be archived.

Sorry, I was confused by your comment about “this is how GMail works”.

That is what currently happens, because it is what should happen, and exactly what is expected to happen.

If that is what is expected to happen, why does Outlook, the word’s most popular e-mail client, not do this?

If that is what is expected to happen, why does Thunderbird, the world’s second most popular e-mail client, not do this?

If that is what is expected to happen, why does Gmail, the word’s most popular e-mail solution, not do this?

Etc etc etc.

But why would you expect only some of it to be archived when you asked for the conversation to be archived?

I’m not. As I said, Logically, an e-mail can be both part of an Archive and Sent. It cannot be part of an Inbox and Archive. Hence why you would expect to see it in Archive AND Sent, but not Archive and Inbox.

A Sent folder should show you all your messages you Sent. That’s why ALL these other e-mail programs do that, unless you Archive it from the Sent folder itself.

Are you suggesting GMail, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc, all have it wrong?

No, that is not possible. Either the email is in the Sent folder, or in the Archive. It can’t be in both. Unless you copy it there, which defeats the purpose of archiving. But you are not asking about an email; you are asking about a conversation. If you ask eM Client to archive the conversation, that is what we do. We archive all messages in the conversation, just what you asked us to do.

Why other apps don’t do what is asked, is for you to discuss with them. But bear in mind they may not have full conversation implementations. Take TB for example, the conversation is only for that folder, it does not include messages in other folders, so the Sent folder is not considered by them.

Hi Gary, I agree with all that Gizmo is saying.

I stopped using EmClient just because this unexpected behaviour.

What you say about TB is not what I see each day. I manage dozens of accounts on TB, some are Gmail other not, and when I archive a Conversation in which I have sent some emails, I can see the conversation both in Archive and Sent folders.

The EmClient behaviour about this situation for me and for Gizmo is not useful. When I have sent an email, I expect to access it on Sent folder, whether I have archived this conversation or not.

Please recheck that. I believe TB do not display messages across folders, just a thread view of messages in a single folder. In their thread implementation, when you view the thread in the Inbox, they do not display messages from the Sent folder. So if you archive the thread, of course it doesn’t include messages they do not consider part of the thread.

eM Client has a complete implementation for conversations, which is quite different to what TB does. We display a conversation including messages from all folders in that account. So that will include the Sent folder. If you archive a conversation in eM Client, that is exactly what we do. We move the conversation to the archive as you asked.

Hi Gary, in TB, conversations with sent emails are displaying in both sides: Sent and Archive. I see and use that on everyday working.

If I go to the webmail view, which doesn’t apply the TB Conversation addon, I see also both in sent and archive. This is a common behaviour on many different email platforms not only Gmail/Microsoft.

I sent you in the beginning of this topic some tests, and the view in the webmail access, you can reply them in TB.

If you can achieve that on eM Client I think it will be useful for users like Gizmo an I.

Best regards!

In TB, go to your Inbox. Look at a thread. Does it display the messages from the Sent folder in that thread? I think you will find it doesn’t. That means if you archive the thread in TB, it will only archive the message in the Inbox. They do not consider the Sent folder as part of the thread, so those messages are not moved.

I think this is just a misunderstanding of conversations in eM Client. It is not a thread view as in TB. It is a group of all messages that are related, so normally from more than one folder. If you ask it to archive the conversation, that is exactly what it does.

Hi Gary, yes, in TB you can see Sent messages both in inbox or archive folders threads.

I am not able to see that on the latest version 116.

I know this is somewhat off-topic but is it possible you can provide a screenshot?

@Gary

The thing is, “Sent” is not a folder for organisation of e-mails like other folders are. That is why you can see e-mails that are part of a thread within other folders in the Sent “folder”. It is more of a search, in a way. Like: “show me all messages I have sent”. It is not strictly a folder. If it was, it would not display messages from other folders.

So “Archive” is the only folder that does not let its messages display in “Sent”.

This is why this is not as expected. Sent should not be treated like a folder. It should be treated almost like a search.

I hope that makes sense.

Of course it is a folder. Please ask your email provider and they will confirm it is an actual individual folder on the server just like any of the others. The only exception is Gmail, but then they don’t have a real archive folder either.

Of course it is a folder.

You know what I was saying, Gary. I said it is not an organisation folder like other folders. It’s intended to display Sent messages, not be used for organisation.

In any case, you can’t have it all ways. What you are saying does not logically make sense.

You can’t say that:-

1. You CANNOT display Archived items in the Sent folder because it’s not possible, and
  2. Then see that other clients CAN, in fact, display them in both, and
  3. Say that they are wrong because it’s not possible, when
  4. It is in fact possible.

I can because it is true.

A message can only be in one folder. Either it is in the Sent folder, or it is in the Archive folder. It is not possible for it to be in both.