eM Client will not load after "system cleanup" and reinstall

I have been successfully using eM Client for the past few months.  The other day I ran a system cleanup using Wise Disk Cleaner.  When I went to later reopen eM Client, it was EXTREMELY SLOW.  I have never had it behave like this before.  I completely uninstalled eM Client including the registry keys and the individual information under the AppData folder.  

After the reinstall, it will not go past the “new account” pop up screen.  When I click on the small window it says, “not responding” and greys out.  

I have attached the dump file below:

HELP!!!  It is driving me crazy!  I have been very satisfied until now…

MailClient 6.0.20648.0 [PID: 5524]Description:             eM Client
Company:                 eM Client, Inc.
CPU:                     0%
CPU Time:                0:0:2
Physical Memory:         85540k
Virtual Memory:          439372k
Managed Heap:            4625k
Gen 0 Collections:       7
Gen 1 Collections:       2
Gen 2 Collections:       1
% Time in GC:            20.21%

Thread ID: 5528 
Thread ID: 5544 
Thread ID: 5596 
Thread ID: 5920 [waiting]
Thread ID: 5924 [waiting]
Thread ID: 4992 

Thread [#5528]
    [Internal Frame, ‘M–>U’]
    [IL Method without Metadata]
*0. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(dwComponentID=, reason=4, pvLoopData=0) (source line information unavailable)
1. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(reason=4, context=System.Windows.Forms.Application+ModalApplicationContext) (source line information unavailable)
2. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(reason=, context=) (source line information unavailable)
3. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(form=) (source line information unavailable)
4. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(owner=) (source line information unavailable)
5. System.Windows.Forms.dll#0!System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog() (source line information unavailable)
6. MailClient.exe#0!MailClient.Program.Main(args=) (source line information unavailable)

Thread [#5544]
[Internal Frame, ‘U–>M’]

Thread [#5596]

Thread [#5920]
*0. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny(waitHandles=, millisecondsTimeout=, exitContext=) (source line information unavailable)
1. MailClient.exe#0!MailClient.Storage.Data.Compactor.CompactWorker(parameter=) (source line information unavailable)
2. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(state=) (source line information unavailable)
3. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(executionContext=, callback=, state=, preserveSyncCtx=) (source line information unavailable)
4. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(executionContext=, callback=, state=, preserveSyncCtx=) (source line information unavailable)
5. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(executionContext=, callback=, state=) (source line information unavailable)
6. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(obj=) (source line information unavailable)
[Internal Frame, ‘U–>M’]

Thread [#5924]
*0. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.Monitor.Wait(obj=, millisecondsTimeout=, exitContext=) (source line information unavailable)
1. MailClient.exe#0!MailClient.Storage.Application.TaskQueue.<.ctor>b__0() (source line information unavailable)
2. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(state=) (source line information unavailable)
3. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(executionContext=, callback=, state=, preserveSyncCtx=) (source line information unavailable)
4. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(executionContext=, callback=, state=, preserveSyncCtx=) (source line information unavailable)
5. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(executionContext=, callback=, state=) (source line information unavailable)
6. mscorlib.dll#0!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() (source line information unavailable)
[Internal Frame, ‘U–>M’]

Thread [#4992]</.ctor>

Hi Simon, can you please run the emstackdump.exe tool, you’ve used already once again when this occurs and send me the whole dump file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.
Please note it is not recommended to remove the registry keys when reinstalling the application. Did you remove the whole eM Client directory from the Roaming folder or did you just remove parts of it?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul- 

First I uninstalled the eM Client program using the native uninstaller included with the eM Client installation program.

I deleted the whole eM Client folder in the registry key as follows:

HKEY_current_user -->Software–>eMClient

I deleted the entire folder as follows:

C:\Users%user%\AppData\Roaming\eM Client

I will send the stackdump file to you right away.

Thanks!!!

Simon

I have sent the information- should I expect correspondence via this post or by email??

Hi Simon, did you create the dump file when the (not responding) message occurred?
Can you please make a screenshot of the issue? I’ve submitted the stack dump file to the developers but it appears to be a running application.

Thanky you,
Paul.

Paul- 

Below you will find a screenshot of exactly what I see.  It will not go beyond this point and I have to manually shut down the process via task manager.  It is at this point that I ran the stackdump application.

Thanks!
Simon

How can I completely uninstall eM Client?  I wonder if I can completely scrub all components from the program and then do a fresh installation.  Maybe that would work?  

Hi Simon, to completely uninstall the application all you should have to do is to uninstall the application in the “Uninstall programs” option in Windows and removing the eM Client’s database folder from your local folder > App Data > Roaming. By removing the database you will delete all your local data (I can suggest just renaming the eM Client directory, to keep a backup).

If the problem persists after reinstalling the application, can you please download this tool http://www.emclient.com/tools/procdump_unhandled.zip , extract the procdump folder from the archive and run the .bat file found inside it.
After you run the .bat file, please replicate the issue and if the “eM Client is not responding” window appears, after the application is shut off, there should be a dump file created in the procdump folder.

Can you please send me this dump file to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic?

Thank you,
Paul.

This application helped!  I was actually able to open and input the information for each one of my 2 email accounts.  It appears as if it has downloaded my existing messages to the actual client.  

Now that I made it that far I am having one new problem now.  It is VERY laggy. When I click on a new email message other than the one selected, it takes almost a full minute to actually display it in the reading pane.  When I click on an email in my 2nd email account, it takes just as long.  It does finally display it but it takes forever!  

This problem was the reason why I uninstalled it in the first place.  It used to function perfectly- very fast and flawless.  Suddenly one day it became extremely slow.  I will add that it is functioning (sending and receiving messages) but reading individual messages takes a very long time. Any suggestions?  

After I closed it, I went to reopen eM Client and it takes probably 3-5 minutes to actually start up.  It looks something like this before it actually begins- 

I am using IMAP for 2 gmail accounts.  Using the latest version of eM Client on Windows 7 PC with 8GB of ram.  I also reinstalled version 5 of eM Client and the same problem occurs.  I have downloaded a second email client and it works perfectly fine (no lag or other issues).  

When it failed I ran the stackdump and emailed you the file as requested.  No dump file was generated from the procdump that you sent.

Thank you SO much for your help!! We are making progress! 

Hi Simon, this might be caused by the “Download messages for offline use”, since eM client by default only downloads the headers of emails and only downloads the body when you click on the message.
By enabling “Download messages for offline use” you could prevent this, so the messages are already available when you switch between the emails.

To enable “Download messages for offline use” right click your account in the left sidebar and select Properties > Offline, and check the option.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Paul- 

I wish I could say this helped.  After closing eM Client I could not get it to reopen at all.  Using the Procdump appliation you sent I was able to open eM Client to this point (shown below in screenshot) but it will go no further.  When I click on the actual eM Client icon to run the program normally, it will not open at all.  

I have tried using “download messages for offline use” but I didn’t see any change regarding lag issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Simon

Hi again, at this point when the application freezes or becomes unresponsive please run this tool instead and send me the dump output file, http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe to [email protected] , again with a reference link to this forum topic. Not sure how you managed to let the application run ‘using’ what I’ve sent you, the procdump tool should create a dump file when the application crashes and the .bat file should just do a run once you open it.

Thank you,
Paul.

I’m not quite sure either why it is getting the program to run when I use the procdump tool.  When I run it, it checks the eM Client files/database then the program starts up as pictured above but that is as far as it will go.  

I have sent you the dump file as you requested.

Thanks!
Simon

Hi Simon,
sorry for my belated reply, are you still experiencing issues with this.
I’ve received more information from the developers, but from the look at the dumps it looks like a stable running application, can you please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and click on “Send Logs”, and send us your sqlite.log file attached to the newly displayed email?

Also can you please try to run “check disk” on your hard drive?
(right click your hard drive > Properties > Tools > Check).

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul- 

No problem- I am still having issues though.  

I am assuming you mean to open eM Client, then go to Tools>settings>advanced?  Unfortunately I can’t open eM Client and it function to the point that I can access that menu item.  It will open but everything is greyed out and it is unresponsive.  Windows then force closes it.

I will run a check disk on the HD however this is the only program i am having any trouble out of.  Everything else is working as expected.

Thanks for your continued support. 

Thanks!
Simon

Hi Simon, yes sorry did not realize this. Please run the check disk utility. You can still send me the sqlite log to my email ([email protected]), just go to your local folder > App Data > Roaming > eM client > Logs, the sqlite.log file should be contained in this folder.

Thank you,
Paul.

Got it- It’s on the way to you.  

I ran a full disk check yesterday but no change in overall performance.  Everything looked good according to the check disk utility.  No errors, repairs, changes or problems.

Hi Simon, I’ve forwarded the sqlite.log to the developers but unfortunately we can’t find any relevant information in the log either. I’ve searched through our past conversation, but I’m not completely sure if you’ve already tried to setup a new database with the application.

Thank you,
Paul.

What exactly are you referring to regarding a “new database”?  I was able to open the application to the point that I entered my account information into eM Client but it is not functional (extremely laggy and never fully loads before being force closed by windows).

Thanks for your help to this point- I realize there may be no special solution…

Hi Simon,

Are any other programs having issues after you cleaned up your PC?

Or is only eM Client having issues?

Maybe you will need to update .NET framework using Windows Update?