eM Client was not closed correctly

NoSi, the WM Tracing logs are not an option you can enable. In Settings > Advanced > Logging, click on send logs, and it will attach them to a new email. Or you can find them in your C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Logs folder.

o.k. – I thought it depends on the setting in the fields above.  Should be in your postbox in a view minutes. Thanks for explaination.

I have had a similar problem with the eM Client doing a database check every time I do a Windows restart, reporting that it was doing so because the client was not shut down properly previously. I have always shut down the client manually and verified that it is not running in the Task Manager. I have also checked the systray to make sure no programs or processes are running that could conceivably be related to the client. As a test, I just went through another restart and waited until I was sure Windows was completely up and running and any startup apps had loaded. I was surprised to see the em Client load by itself (successfully without database check). I then realized that I had configured the client to load automatically on startup. I had not remembered that I had done that. Since it was my practice to launch the eM Client after Windows loaded, I now wonder if that has been the cause of the database check all along. i.e. eM client in the process of starting automatically AND my manually starting it at the same time. I turned off the auto start feature and have done a restart of Windows and then opened the client. … no database check. So far, so good. I’ll make further comments if anything changes.

I am getting the same database check even though I manually start emclient each time.
I am using Bullguard security software - could this be thecause of the problem?

You might find you do not get the database check if you close eM Client and wait a while before restarting Windows. But that is not absolute. Check that after you close eM Client, and wait a while, that it is not still listed in Task Manager, either in Apps or Background Processes. If it is listed there when Windows restarts, you probably will get the database check.

To test if it is Bullguard, you could permanently disable or uninstall it, close eM Client and restart Windows.

Another option is to make sure you are using the latest version from http://www.emclient.com/release-history. Later versions are less likely to have this problem that earlier ones.

The database check seems to have corrected itself recently - I tried ticking/un-ticking setting boxes and have ended up setting the software to run at start-up.  So it wasn’t my security software causing the problem.
Thanks for your suggestions though.

Hi, we have been experiencing the same problem despite our computers having no installed anti-virus software and running the most up-to-date version of your software. We will email the tech support team with the logs. This issue has been known for a year already and we are extremely surprised - to say the least - that it has not been resolved yet. eM Client does not fully close and keeps running in the background, even when the computer is shut down. As a result, it behaves as though it crashed and we get a database check the next time we turn it on. We unchecked the automatic launch of the client upon system start. It unfortunately did not solve this issue.

Hello BAAC,

send me please an email with a link to this forum thread to [email protected]

Thank you,
Russel

It used to be that you could close the application, and wait a while before shutting down Windows. That seemed to work for many. I think it was around version 7.1.30794. Then in one subsequent update it was vastly improved that shutting down Windows with the application open seldom caused the error. I remember sending you an email about that Russel.

But the problem seems to have resurfaced even in the current version 7.1.32088. Closing eM Client sometimes leaves a process running. You can open Windows Task Manager and kill the process, but that has the same effect as crashing, so is not a solution. The application should close cleanly, and that should be the only solution.

Hello Russel,

Thanks for your follow-up.

You are correct on the fact that two of our activations are still using version 6. We are avoiding the upgrade precisely because of this database change which turned out to be far from seamless. We actually did lose part of the email / contact database on the computer running ver. 7 during the switch.

But the version here is irrelevant as the only computer on which eM Client does not close properly is precisely the one running the most up-to-date version.

Please let us know whether you would need our logs to troubleshoot this issue.

Hello Russel,

Apparently, the update did resolve the issue at hand. We will see over the next few weeks if this unwanted database check still occurs but, for the time being, things seem much smoother than they used to be.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Kind Regards,

Jean-Claude

The latest update 7.1.32561, is available to download at http://www.emclient.com/release-history.

There is significant improvement in the way eM Client closes, and the way the database is checked after restarting.

Gary, Russel, hello!
A quick follow-up on this issue which persists against all odds. My computer is currently running version 7.1.32792 and I am still experiencing crippling database checks.
Please let me know what you need to investigate further on this bug.

Hopefully Russel will give some feedback. I see he has been busy n the forum today.

I was trying to reproduce the incorrect shut down recently, but have not been able to, so I thought that it has finally been solved, but apparently not. Maybe if you have a Pro License, you could open a support ticket for this

Hi Jean-Claude,

I checked the reports and the issue with database checks is fixed in your version. Therefore, there must an individual reason that in your case the check reappears. At first, I’d check the antivirus or other security software that keeps the process running when shutting down. Switch these apps off and try reproducing the issue.

I see that you own a PRO licence so I’d recommend either creating a ticket on the PRO Support website as Gary advised or send me an email with the result to [email protected].

Russel

I get this every time I restart my PC. I will try to close eM Client before closing Windows, but do not expect that helps…
My database is huge: ~20 GB. Where should I leave my history (since 1995) elsewhere?

If I do not select START EM CLIENT WITH WINDOWS in the SETTINGS, when I boot the computer and Windows loads (and EM CLIENT HAS NOT YET STARTED), when I do start EM CLIENT, I get error messages when it opens and closes. eM Client also crashes from the foregoing behavior. Also, backup is compromised and crashes my machine. There is something wrong, and I informed eMClient support and sent them dump files. The problem remains, and is also in ver. 8.

After I updated to Windows 10, v. 2004, I did some research. All the things complained of in this thread are MORE THAN LIKELY ATTRIBUTABLE TO Ntdll.dll file which eM Client rogrammers will need to patch. I read about this issue on several Microsoft web sites. eM Client has an issue, and its time they address it in a big way.

Why in the world are they working on v.8 when v.7 has this issue. HEY EM CLIENT GUYS, come on! READ THIS THREAD AND SEND OUT AN UPDATE THAT ADDRESSES OUR CONCERNS for v.7 now. We love you, but for goodness sakes, HELP!

Well, it is a new version of the application. It has new features that were not possible to bolt on to version 7, and has some new stuff under the hood that should avoid these kinds of problems. They were still releasing updates for version 7 while developing version 8, but now I guess that the focus will move completely to version 8. As far as I remember from the past, they did not continue to develop the previous version after a major version release. Version 8 is expected for release in a few days so maybe you are out of luck if you are now expecting some changes in 7, Elliot.

It also appears not to be a very common issue, or maybe no one is reporting it. Hardly anyone.

Or maybe Microsoft will need to patch, as it is their file, not eM Client’s.

Gary, thanks for your comments, but obviously there are several people in this thread who are experiencing the issue, and probably several more who don’t even know how to look in their Event Viewer to see the mess. With all due respect, wouldn’t it help us all if eM Client worked with Microsoft to resolve the issue? Clearly there is an issue, because the same thing happens with VERSION 8.

We, the users, are suffering, and there are enough of us in this thread to show THERE IS AN ISSUE…

I love eM Client, but the folks there NEED TO ADDRESS the NTDLL.dll issue NOW! It is problematic in my testing of Version 8. Simply to bury your head in the sand is unacceptable.

If it is happening with the beta version, please send your feedback to [email protected].