eM Client stops working when accessing some local folders

I have a lot of local folders and most of them are working normally. However there are seven folders that cause eM Client to stop working when I click on the folder in order to access the emails within it. In these seven cases I get a pop-up headed “eM Client has stopped working” followed by “An error has occurred in the application that prevents it from continuing. The application will terminate.” This means that I am unable to access any of the emails in these folders.

I have just noticed that in addition to these local folders causing the problem, it also occurs when I click on the ‘Drafts’ folder in one of the two accounts I have.

I have downloaded the latest version of eMail client, but the problem persists.

Most probably this is a database issue.

On a PC, close eM Client and open a Windows Command Prompt. Not a powershell, but a command prompt. Paste in this command including the leading "

"C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe" /dbrepair

Or, on a Mac, quit eM Client and open a Terminal. Paste in this command:

/Applications/eM\ Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM\ Client /dbrepair

When that is done, restart eM Client as see if you still have the issue.

Thanks. I have pasted in the command at the Windows command prompt. On then pressing the return key I get another prompt, but no indication that anything is happening. Should I be seeing something or have I done something wrong?

When you paste in the command and hit Enter, the eM Client database repair window will appear.

Once that is done, you can start eM Client.

If you get another prompt, can you give a screenshot please?

Followed your instructions. eM Client repair window appeared and ran through to completion. Re-started eM Client, but problem still there.

Can’t see how to attach a screen shot (how is that done?), but the command prompt screen looks as yours does (with ‘user’ instead of ‘Gary’).

If the database repair didn’t fix it then unfortunately the database is beyond repair. You will need to delete the database, and start again.

If you have a recent backup, you can delete the current eM Client database, then restore the backup and eM Client should start working again without any problems.

If you don’t have a backup, but all your data is synced with servers, then you can delete the database and start over. After adding your accounts, eM Client will resync with the server.

By default, the database is the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder. You may have to enable hidden items in Windows Explorer to get there.

I’ve got to C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. I’m not sure what to do next to restore. The first folder is called 8520fb84-0ee6-42e7-95b2-b9ac622a0a23 and I’m guessing that might be my last back-up. Its date last modified is today’s date. If that’s the folder to back up from, then I assume it will contain the corrupted files, as I first hit this problem yesterday. If so, the problem would presumably remain after restoring from this source.

The server contains only the most recent emails. Therefore I could only restore a small percentage of the emails I need from the server to replace those in the corrupted local folders (and none of the emails I have sent as these don’t go via the server). I can’t see a way of deleting the folders that are causing eM Client to crash, as by clicking on these, eM Client immediately crashes. So, if the backup is corrupted and the server has only the most recent emails, then I can’t see how I can do any better. I’ll still be left with the corrupted folders in place; I’ll have to avoid clicking on them.

This has been quite a blow for me. In the circumstances can you think of a better way of proceeding?