eM Client error "Server says " #5.7.0 Authentication failed"

Suddenly eM Client has come up with the message - “Server says " #5.7.0 Authentication failed”

Hi, can you please make a screenshot of this error message? What mail service are you using? And what version of eM client are you using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul

It is only when I go to send an email, inwards seems fine.
Version 6.0.20154.0

My service provider is iinet.

I cant take a screen picture as I get the error message then in the box the program is asking
“Please enter your User Name and Password for Allstamps”  then appropriate boxes
for my User Name and Password.

thanks
Nev

Ok, can you maybe make a screenshot of your SMTP settings from Tools > Account > Your account > SMTP tab?
Also are you using any Proxy/firewall software that might disable the eM Client’s ability to connect to the outgoing server?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul

I am at home at the moment.  I am using Avast and don’t believe anything has changed that would prevent me connecting to the outgoing server. If I use Gmail I have no issues I can send emails fine. I had a paid version of a Virus Protection software but it slowed me down so much I got rid of it.

eM Client was flying until today. I had it on 30 day trial and selected to continue with the Free version a little longer as I have had two bad experiences with Thunderbird where I lost my emails so really wanted to give the software a real good shakedown. Strangely tried to install at home and it just won’t boot up.

Have installed and will do another download.  If I can get things working  and tested okay will become a paying customer. The frustration of losing years of emails in a small business is indescribable. 

regards
Nev

So I understand the issue has occured on your other computer… When you get back to your office can you please make the screenshot of the SMTP settings, also it probably would help if you go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turned on SMTP logging for the problematic account.

Save the settings and restart the application, then please right click your account in the left sidebar and select Properties > Repair, and click on the repair button, if it won’t help try to send out an email and if it stays in the outbox and is never sent. Go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send Logs”.

Please send the logs to my email (instead of the default), [email protected] and include the screenshot I’ve mentioned previously.

We’ll take a look at the issue and hopefully get you back online.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul - all fixed thanks to Juraj Micek. He did some research and advised me to try to disable the option “Server requires authentication”. works like a charm.

I didn’t change this setting so I have no idea how it  got ticked.

Many thanks to all for the help.

regards
Nev

Hi, I’m glad you’ve managed to make it work. I hope it stays that way, but if you come across any other issues, let us know, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul

Have another problem similar to the sending of emails. Just to refresh I couldn’t send emails and the problem was a setting in the SMTP settings.  eM Client kept asking for my password which I kept typing in.

I was contacted last Friday by my Service Provider advising my email account had been compromised.

They detected my account was sending out Spam emails. All I can put it down to was that when I kept putting in my password I must have had malware or something on my computer which finally picked up the password due the number of times I tried. I had to scan several times and reset my password

Now I can’t receive emails I keep getting "Server says [AUTH] Authenication Failed.

I have put the new password in twice and I am sure it is correct. My concern now is although I have run three malware software programs has something managed to compromise/corrupt/infect eM Client so if I keep putting in the password the same might result.

Help please

regards
Nev

Hi, not completely sure hoiw to help you in this situation, are you still able to log into your webmail on your mail service’s website?

I suggest running some antivirus/anti-malware software that would detect if there’s something on your computer that doesn’t belong there…

Paul.

Paul

I am currently using GMAIL to send and receive emails. After the compromising of my password I ran three different Malware programs and AVAST.

Should I uninstall eM Client and download anew and try again. If so can I say my current emails. 

I was really happy with your software then clunk. No doubt it is something my end.

regards
Nev

I’m not completely sure now if I understand your issue now, are you able to login to your account in eM Client now, if not are you able to login online?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul 

When I open eM Client I see all my messages from about 4 days ago. When I click on Receive/Send emails I get asked for my password. Despite inputting the new password eM Client comes back asking for my to input the password. The same sort of thing happened with my sending of emails.

regards
Nev

Hi, maybe you have a 2-step verification activated on your Gmail account, check if that’s really the case here “https://www.google.com/landing/2step/” having the issue you had, it might be a good idea to activate it even if you already don’t.

If you do have it activated already, you have to generate an app specific password - you can find the generator somewhere on that site, if you activate it… it will generate a password for eM Client, you have to use this password for your account in eM Client. When eM Clients asks for password again, use the generated one and it should be working.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Paul

Did as you suggested - no luck.
I think I might give up and stick with Gmail.

Nev

Can you make a screenshot of your issue and post it here?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul

As requested attached is a screenshot.  There is something weird going on. First it was sending emails and that was fixed with an account settings change. Once that was fixed immediately I couldn’t receive emails and again kept getting asked for password.

By the way I can still send emails.

Hi again, I don’t see any screenshot attached to your previous reply, can you make sure you’ve uploaded it and it’s included in the post?

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul

I have tried uploading again.

regards
Nev

Paul

Thats weird I am doing something wrong as I can see it my end ![]( "Image: ") - try again