eM Client 9 Beta for macOS unusable with Microsoft Exchange

I have been testing beta 2 and beta 3 of eM Client v9 for macOS. When we used IMAP based email accounts it would occasionally crash - eM Client app disappears and the macOS report/restart/ignore dialog appears.

This week we have moved our mail service to Microsoft Exchange (the Microsoft hosted version) and eM Client is now completely unusable. When I open eM Client it gets about as far as showing the list of emails in the Inbox folder before crashing. Sometimes it will stay open longer but probably never more than a minute.

I’ve never tried eM Client v8 with Microsoft Exchange so don’t know if it has always been this bad an experience.

-Andy.

1 Like

Can you please check the Crash Reports section in the Console app? You can send me the reports privately to [email protected].

I will email the full crash log over to you shortly but the key part from it appears to be:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'SFUZipEndOfCentralDirectoryError', reason: 'Could not find the end of central directory record'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type OISFUZipException

-Andy.

I am facing the same issue. The same computer worked very well with version 8, but as soon as I installed the beta yesterday it started to crash. The console has it as "…reason: ‘Could not find the end of central directory record’ "
In my previous installation I had 8 accounts, all working well. Now I only have an Exchange account and it keeps crashing.
Relevant part of the console:

Process:               eM Client [6645]
Path:                  /Applications/eM Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM Client
Identifier:            com.emclient.mail.client
Version:               9.0.1360 (9.0.1360)
Code Type:             ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2022-03-10 14:09:38.2092 -0500
OS Version:            macOS 12.2.1 (21D62)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        99533587-A366-D261-9941-D6649401D0AB

Sleep/Wake UUID:       B6C44688-37C8-4468-ADFC-459E24F96BE8

Time Awake Since Boot: 9500 seconds
Time Since Wake:       3108 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        22

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'SFUZipEndOfCentralDirectoryError', reason: 'Could not find the end of central directory record'
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type OISFUZipException

The feedback I got was that this is a known issue in the v9 betas with the attachment indexer.

As a temporary workaround it’s possible to launch the application from Terminal with the indexing disabled:

/Applications/eM\ Client.app/Contents/MacOS/eM\ Client --disable-attachment-indexer

-Andy.

Thank you, Andy. It did work for me as a palliative solution for now. I hope this gets addressed before V9 leaves Beta stage.

Paulo