Downloading File Extremely Slow?

@WalterGi

why can my Gmail client in chrome do it in no time?

The message body and attachments are (already downloaded fully in the browser cache) and not being read remotely like an email client does. So when you click on the email in a Gmail online it will read very quick and the attachment will start to download almost instantaneously as is the nature of reading mail & attachments via http mail direct.

Where is the bottle neck? The download speed is fast.
Unpacking a data structure can not take that long.

It just does not make sense. Why is it fast in a different network environment?

lunes 06 febrero 2023 :: 2218hrs (UTC +0100)

What environment?

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

@WalterGi

Why is it fast in a different network environment?

As you find it quicker using different network connections (like when you are away from your house on another Wifi connection) as you mentioned earlier, then it sounds like something to do with either your NBN Optus modem settings or firmware as @skybat summized, or possibly a routing / hop speed issue with your Optus ISP.

Either way, you need to contact your Optus ISP technical support to find that out, as we cannot troubleshoot NBN modem / wifi hardware speed differences on this thread. Tell the Optus tech support it was faster using an alt wifi connection outside your house. They will troubleshoot that.

Thanks, I keep you posted. I can trigger with one click an email attachment (5MB) download through a user interface (Chrome browser and gmail account) within a second. And I checked the file is nowhere on my computer prior to this click. So it has to be transferred within that second.
Now why is the software (emc) not able to trigger that same fast download. And guys please remember we are talking minutes that emc would need to do that. I guess emc does just not find the right pass through my network.

@WalterGi

I can trigger with one click an email attachment (5MB) download through a user interface (Chrome browser and gmail account) within a second. And I checked the file is nowhere on my computer prior to this click

Now why is the software (emc) not able to trigger that same fast download.

Apart from any modem / router or isp speed differences, when you click an email or attachment in your mailbox providors webmail screen using your browser such as Chrome & Gmail (as in your case) it’s almost instantaneous because that is a (direct connection) to your mailbox via http on the Gmail global servers as @skybat and I already advised. So its not remotely having to first read the mail and attachments etc before downloading. There is a big difference between how IMAP clientmail and HTTP webmail works. You can find many articles in Google search on the subject.

Note: This same thing normally happens with any mail client due to the technology differences.

1 Like

I understand, my Optus support team (internet provider here in Australia) says that the Google server is the bottleneck. Could it be that it is just the Australian Server, because I was on holidays in Canada, when it was much better? Are those problems reported in other countries?

@WalterGi

I understand, my Optus support team (internet provider here in Australia) says that the Google server is the bottleneck.

I doubt it’s any Google bottleneck in Australia and they are more than likely just pointing the blame elsewhere, but if Optus technical support claim that is the case, Optus need to contact Google in Australia (directly) to advise that issue with proof from their server back-end support guys.

Google have offices in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.

Ps From my own Australian server 50mbps NBN connection, if i ping and trace to the Google Mail server (mail.google.com / 142.250.70.229) in Mountain view CA, the ping time round trip is aprox 33 ms, and the trace 12 hops to get there averaged 28-30 ms so i don’t think it’s a Google problem from Australia. Seems more like the ISP (Optus) or the modem / router settings or firmware.

Well, I forgot to say that it is a gmail account that I am downloading from. So it is the imap/SMTP part of that server.
Also I checked different providers in Australia meanwhile, they present the same problem. Also if I go through 4G with my phone as hotspot it is the same behavior. So it can not be the router/modem. Can you give me a setup here in Australia that works?
ps: the ping timing goes through Optus too and are working fine on my computer as well

@WalterGi

ps: the ping timing goes through Optus too and are working fine on my computer as well.

If your ping and trace tests are similar to mine connecting to the Gmail mail server in the US as you say, then I don’t know why you have that slow downloading issue unless you have some eg: optional software installed locally possibly interfering with the incoming mail port or mail client.

If you are running eg: Optional VPNs, Optional Firewall / Security programs or Optional Antivirus programs sometimes they have been know to slow or interfere with mail receiving or sending.

Apart from that, try resetting your modem / router to defaults and (as previously mentioned) do any firmware updates if available.

Also I checked different providers in Australia meanwhile, they present the same problem.

I personally don’t have any IMAP speed issues receiving mail or attachments in eM Client from Gmail in Oz and have used Optus, Telstra, TPG, iiNet & Ozemail as well as all different types of brand modem / routers and switches in my houses. Ive also used ADSL, Cable, FTTC and FTTP.

As far as settings go if you mean in eM Client, my Gmail IMAP settings are as the below screenshot. This same setting works also for all my friends using eM Client & Gmail personal & business accounts in Australia on many different home NBN connections. They also have no speed issues downloading email & attachments with IMAP and Gmail.

1 Like

This sounds like you have a different product than I have. Version

If you are running the same product, could you please check with Telstra 4G and an Android mobile as hot spot. That should give us an equal environment.
Yes, port settings are as recommended.

Looking at this conversation about slow download of small 3 MB video file.
Takes me more that 10 minutes with eM client.
Blue Mail, Outlook and GMail can view this same file almost instantly.
So annoying that i am thinking of uninstalling this paid for version.
Otherwise happy with eM client but this is a big problem for me.
Everything on my Window PC and the app itself is up to date.
Looking at length of this thread it has been going on for a long time without eM fixing it.

Did you try my suggestion in another topic on this same issue?

Although my comments there are directed to Yahoo! users, you can also use the same setting with other providers.