Downloading File Extremely Slow?

Does anyone know why that when I get sent small video files why it takes eM Client an eternity to open them via my laptop?
If I choose to open them via my iPhone it’s almost instant…

miércoles 21 diciembre 2022 :: 0916hrs (UTC 0000)

What is the problem, Download or Open?

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Banjul la soleada en Gambia!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Well when I click on open it then says preparing and shows the progress bar and it seems to take about at least 10 to 15 minutes before it’s finally finished.
A recent video file which it’s happening to is only 2.8 MB.

1 Like

miércoles 21 diciembre 2022 :: 1100hrs (UTC 0000)

That is not an eMC issue it is your OS capability or lack of, and or whatever App you are using to view the video.

¡Buena suerte!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Well this has never happened before. Even if choose not to open the file and just try to save it first it takes just as long. I am using windows 10 and everything is up to date so there shouldn’t be an issue?

1 Like

I am having the same problem and it is NOT the OS…I can download video files from other email apps without this same issue.

2 Likes

Thanks that confirms there’s a problem with eM Client I guess, glad I’m not the only one!

2 Likes

The problem is downloading. It takes up to 10 min to save a simple 2MB file.
I can not recall having this problem at the start of using emclient.
If I use a different email program it goes instantly.
I have the free version! Is it because we do not pay???

I doubt it. I have paid version 8 and exactly the same behavior.

Fred

Wow, good to hear. So they have to fix it then I guess.

Well I, I’m not sure they will for people using the free version :thinking:

jueves 29 diciembre 2022 :: 1038hrs (UTC 0000)

Sorry I did not ask before if any have made a check to try the download with any anti-virus and or VPN disabled because both can effect speed with process time.
I also made a test with Free version and on my system it makes no difference Free or Pro also on my boat I have only a Sat Phone router connection for now of 51mbps with download time 2min 28sec from youtube video 500mb
At home with 945mbps probably download at almost instant.

Test with/without Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium & Surfshark VPN
I made the tests with eMC v:9.2.1222 (ca10485)on a Lenovo Laptop:
Device name LEN-360
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) EVO Core™ i7-1260P 2.10 GHz (4.70 GHz)
Installed DDr5 RAM 32.0 GB (31.2 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch support with 10 touch points
OS Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on 30/10/2022
OS build 22000.1219
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1219.0

As before for me there is no download issue with eMC with a standard computer and at the moment with handicap of Sat Phone connection

¡feliz año nuevo!

skybat

[email protected]

Hi Gary,

thanks for responding.

I have been fighting with my settings for a while now, but with no success.

What I found: The slow download in em client is not dependent on my computer. I tried my laptop too and it has the same behaviour. The laptop computer is Win 11 updated.

But if I take the laptop to a different wifi point, the problem is solved.

So I tried to reset my router with no effect. My connection with Optus is normally very fast. If I do the download via gmail client it downloads in no time.

I started to change firewall settings and all of a sudden it worked.

But then the next day I restarted the computer and it was back to snail speed. Unfortunately I can not repeat what I did.

So it must have to do something with the windows/emclient settings.

W.
Just found the setting again: private network firewall. If I turn this off, it works.
Now what can I do to make it permanent?

W.
It is getting more strange. Now I turned the firewall back on again, but it is still very fast downloading.
I attached a screen shot of the setting.
W.

Just found the setting again: private network firewall. If I turn this off, it works.

Now what can I do to make it permanent?

W.

@WalterGi

The default firewalls in Windows and Mac OS don’t interfere with eM Client and don’t slow the emails downloading or reading. So if you are referring to those in your post above and have adjusted any default firewall settings (reset those) to default.

Also having private network sharing setup in the OS (if that’s what you are referring to) normally doesn’t interfere with eM Client or cause eM Client to download messages slow or read messages slow. I’ve personally been running private network sharing on a Lan for years and never had any slowdown in emc on PC or Mac.

However Optional Firewalls / Security programs, Optional Antivirus programs and VPN’s (can sometimes interfere) so completely disable any of those to test if you do have any of those optional programs installed. If eM Client then works ok without them installed, you then contact your tech support via those websites to see how to configure them to allow eM Client to work properly.

Is this slow downloading issue only with new emails or already downloaded read emails ?

If this slowness is with (new emails) that haven’t been read or cached yet, and the same thing is happening on more than one computer, then that could be normal if you are using a eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365, or iCloud account which reads emails remotely on the mail server and then can take time to fully read till 100% cached. Once fully read though, they should open nearly instantaneous the next time you click on them.

There is also many factors that can make email messages slow to initially download & read (the first time) even with a fast computer & quick connection, so all depends on what the email body has inside it. eg: If it has high-res inline / embedded graphics, remote http dynamic graphical content etc it can then sometimes take time. So lots of factors involved.

Now if this is also happening with (already fully read mail), then sounds like the local cache in eM Client isn’t working properly in your installation or has possibly got corrupted and might need clearing by doing a repair on your mail account in eM Client to start new. To repair a mail account right click on your Inbox under your account (or All Mail if it’s Gmail) and then click Properties at the bottom. Then click the Repair tab at the top and finally click Repair. This can take time to do as it clears the local cache completely in eM Client. So when it completes, eM Client will re-read all your messages like new again till they are all re-cached.

Note: If you do repair eM Client, backup first via “Menu / Backup” incase of any problems. You can see when the backup is complete via “Menu / Operations” in the drop-down next to refresh.

Yes, I was referring to the default windows firewalls. And you are right, disabling those was not the solution. The reason is, that it only happens with new attachments (not a graphic issue) that were never read yet.
Now I am back to square one. I am sure it must have to do with the network, because I took my laptop on a holiday trip and in the hotel WiFi environments it worked fine.
I have a standard Optus WiFi router with NBN connection. Anything I can change there?
Thank you.
W.

lunes 06 febrero 2023 :: 0852hrs (UTC +0100)

As you have identified the issue is possibly your internet connection with Optus/NBN you should contact their support and you could check for any firmware/software upgrades on their kit.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

1 Like

Thanks again. My question is still, why is my other software like filezilla or my browsers like chrome or edge able to download much faster. How do they do it?

If you are asking about your email, it is because using a browser for “Webmail” is a direct connection to the mail server and does not use an email client like eMC, Outlook, Thunderbird etc to make the connection

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

1 Like

@WalterGi

My question is still, why is my other software like filezilla or my browsers like chrome or edge able to download much faster.

Files attachments are part of email packets which first have to be opened and then read and then downloaded. So this is a process that takes a little time, compared to a file (directly on a server) which downloads almost straight away via a browser when you click it, similar to downloading via an ftp server.

Hmm, why can my Gmail client in chrome do it in no time?