Display sender mail address in a separate line between sender name and mail title (before opening email!!!)

Hello,
this is similar to https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/see-sender-address-prior-to-opening?topic-reply-list%5Bse…, but a little different.
I just installed eM Client. One of the main reasons to choose eM Client was the feature to display the sender email address before actually opening the message. This is very important to find spam mails which show fake sender names.

I know from the post above that I can view the sender mail address by right-clicking the message and choosing “show mail header”. But, it would be much more conveninent and safe, if I could select the sender address to be shown in the overview list, right between the sender name and the mail subject in a separate line. As not all users might like this, it should be configurable. But, for safety reasons, it would be extremely helpful to see the sender email address at a glance when looking at the list of incoming messages. 

Would it be possible that you implement this in the next version?
Best regards,
Curly

Does noone have an answer for this security-critical issue?

Hi Curly.

Two issues here; your request to customize the message list and security issues.

Currently you cannot include the email address in the message list. Maybe the developers will take note of that, and it can be an option in future releases.

There is no security issue when viewing the email in the message panel where the email address is visible by mouse-over on the sender’s name. In the privacy settings in eM Client, (Menu > Tools > Settings > Mail > Privacy) you have the option to block unsafe content. This means that when viewing an email no external content will be loaded. So no links will be followed, and no external graphics will be loaded. It will not retrieve anything that is not already in your inbox. With this security option enabled, you can safely mouse-over the sender’s name in the message panel, which will give you the sender’s address. See also how eM Client is unaffected by the spoofing vulnerability here: https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/em-client-and-mailsploit

If you feel that there is still a security issue, can you explain a little more what your concerns are?

It may not be what you want, but there is actually a way to see the sender’s email address in the message list without going to the message panel. If you sort the message list by From, that will group messages by sender and the name and email address will be visible. But that is not really a very useful sort order for normal use.

Thanks a lot, Gary. This is exactly what I was afraid of. My next question would have been, how to prevent viewing the contents from the spam mail folder. I thought it would be a risk to display ANY contents in the message panel when clicking on an email. So it is really calming to know that this is not the case with eM Client. 

welcome back

I, too, am a fan of being able to see the actual senders email address within the inbox list. Since MS Office 2007 I have been using an add-in form to do this within Outlook. https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/viewsenderaddress.htm However, at the moment I’m evaluating EM-Client as a possible replacement for Outlook 2016 & 2019 due to Microsoft’s unreliable search and indexing functions.  As such, I am noticing a handful of operational pieces that I cannot seem to duplicate. (like displaying the actual sender’s email address within the Inbox list)

Still not possible George, but you can display the address in the message header if that helps.

How do you display the address on the header? Do you mean just hoovering it over the name and window shows the address or is there a permanent way to show this?

Well, you can see the address by mouse-over, but there is a setting to display the full address there as well.

That means that the address is displayed next to the name, so no mouse-over required.

1 Like