Disable sync on some IMAP folders

Hello emClient,

We are a service provider and when our customers asks for a good e-mail client, we’re sending them to emClient because we think it is really nice.

However quite often they switch back to thunderbird just because they want to select which IMAP folders are synchronized on their device like they were doing with thunderbird.

We’ve been told by these users that when they are travelling and on a crappy connection, they just want to have quick access to their inbox and very few of the other folders but don’t care about most of them.
Some of their other folders are quickly filled with a lot of new mails as these are incoming mails moved to specific folders according to server-side rules.

When they launch emClient it starts synchronizing all the folders and according to what they say it looks like the inbox checking is not prioritized, so they sometimes have to wait 10 of minutes to get to their important new mail staying in the inbox.

I’m a bit surprised that a client full of features like emClient is not having this option that we can find in thunderbird. What is the reason behind this, so we can explain it to our customers ?
Is it a technical issue ?

Wouldn’t it be possible to set which folders should be automatically sync’ed and the others sync’ed only when they are accessed (when they click on it) ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Best regards,
Sébastien

1 Like

Hello Sébastien.
For starters, they could disable synchronizing at startup (Menu – General – Synchronizing).
And while at it, untick “Synchronize items every” or chose a large value such as 999 minutes.

Then I believe - but I’m not quite sure, if you highlight an account or a folder an you click on “Refresh” it only syncs that specific account or folder. I have to do some tests though.

1 Like

There is no setting in eM Client I have seen to only sync specific folders, but who knows might be an option down the track in eM Client depending on how many other users would like that feature.

1 Like

That is a shame… I intend to use the EM Client professionally and I use about 250 folders… and the syncing of the folders takes too long.

Please see my comments here, which describe exactly how to do that:

BTW, that won’t work with a Gmail or Google Workspace account.

We also have a new feature in version 9, where you can set how far back the sync will go. So if you only want the past 3 months of your 250 folders, you can do that. The setting is in Menu > Accounts the the IMAP tab for the account in Sync Options.

@Gary

We also have a new feature in version 9, where you can set how far back the sync will go. So if you only want the past 3 months of your 250 folders, you can do that

So if I am using a Google Workspace account I can however still limit how much email is synced “to all folders I have” if I am reading this right, just not specify to sync only specific folders.

Yes, this option will load only the past 3 months of messages from the server across all folders. It is the same with all servers.

You will also have the option to load more, if you are looking for something that might be just outside of that range, without changing the setting, or jump back to the settings to change it permanently.

1 Like

Yes, this option will load only the past 3 months of messages from the server across all folders.

Ok thanks @Gary that’s good to know :slightly_smiling_face: