Default reminder and "Private" attribute in calendar

I would like to see a default for event reminders (Google calendar, Microsoft Outlook, iPhone, etc) all have this feature and it’s a pain to have to open the event details and add a reminder. Also, a default for whether or not the “Private” attribute is set would be helpful since other calendars need this to keep event details from being displayed on shared calendars (yes, even when set to show only free/busy)

A default reminder is something I would very much like to see. I’d also like to be able to get a popup window alert for a CALENDAR reminder. At present I can only get a sound and the logo flashing. As I often have my sound turned off, I can miss calendar reminders.

Definitely miss a default reminder behaviour (which should be customisable by the user) for new appointments created in the Calendar. I access and edit my Google Calendar across a range of clients (including eM Client), and not having this feature means I am not using eM Client as much as I would like - as a missing Reminder could well cause me to miss an important appointment I am having to be disciplined and create all appointments on Outlook instead.

Hi, you can set a default reminder by right clicking your calendar, select Properties and set the default calendar.
Unfortunately you have to do it for each calendar, but it’s possible.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul’s answer is correct to a point. When you create a new event using a right-click on the calendar’s name on the left side of the screen, then select “New Event…”, your event will have the default reminder already set. However, when you click directly on the calendar to create a new event, no reminder is set. Since clicking on the calendar is the easiest way to create a new appointment, it is here that the default reminder (and let’s not forget the default “Private” flag) should be used.
eM Client 3.0.19861.0

Hi, I tried to replicate the issue you’re having however couldn’t replicate it. If you set the default reminder in the properties of that calendar and you have that calendar selected.
The default reminder always shows while adding a new event no matter how you add it.

Paul.

So, is this the first time you have had different observations from different people? I experimented carefully and my observations stand. There must be something else going on. I have multiple calendars, do you? What else might explain the differences we are seeing?

Paul, thanks for the tip. It’s certainly worked for me.

I run two calendars, although only one is displayed in my normal view. I set the default for the one that is displayed to “at start”. My calendar is set to “month view” and I just double click on a day, a new “Event” window opens and the reminder is already set to “at start”.

I had suggested in my earlier post a popup window alert for a CALENDAR reminder. Any chance of that? Please?

Yes I have multiple calendars. I don’t know this might be the problem - you have to set the default reminder for every single calendar.

Thank you,
Paul.

Glad it works, I don’t understand the second suggestion can you please explain what you mean?

Thank you,
Paul.

Looking at the “Settings”, under the “notifications” area, there are three possible options available for various events; these being “pop up window”, “notification icon in the tray area” and “play sound”. Not all of these are available for each type of event; in fact for a Reminder the only option is to play a sound. My suggestion was to have a pop up window available for a Reminder event. Does that make sense now?

There’s always a pop-up for Reminder’s, the setting in notifications only allows you to disable sound, but the pop-up window showing event’s setup reminder should show up everytime.

Thank you,
Paul.

All of my calendars are set to the same “At Start” default reminder using the Properties dialog box. To be clear, if I right-click on the calendar and then choose “New Event…” the default reminder is present in the new event. If, instead, I left-click on the date and time of the event I want to create, no default reminder is set. This is consistent in any view (“Day View,” “Week View,” etc.). I prefer the left-click method because with a nice visual, on-calendar view, I can set the time and duration with the mouse. It’s easier to create an event this way, then manually set a reminder, than to right-click and set the duration and time. Thanks, Bryan

Doesn’t show up for me. All I get is a sound (if I’ve got sound turned on) and the eM logo flashes in the task bar, so I often miss things. I’m running Windows 8 and I’m normally using Firefox.

Can you try going to the properties of the calendar again (where you set the default reminder) and check if there’s “Show reminders” option checked?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
Yes, “show reminders” is checked.

Hi, do you think you would be able to make a screenshot of the issue? Maybe a screenshot that would be showing the default reminder set as well as new Calendar event showing no reminder default?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi, there’s no other option that would disable this feature, can you please test the calendar’s event if it shows up or not.

Paul.

This is in reply to Paul’s question: “Hi, do you think you would be able to make a screenshot of the issue? Maybe a screenshot that would be showing the default reminder set as well as new Calendar event showing no reminder default?”

Screen shots attached:

1. Shot of properties dialog on default calendar
  2. Shot of new event dialog showing no reminder set

A bit more investigation and thinking about the terminology I’ve used… I may have been misleading you.
When a calendar reminder is triggered, the icon in the task bar flashes and I can see that there are now two EM Client “windows” (for want of a better description), one of those is the reminder popup window, however it doesn’t bring it to the front of whatever it is I’m doing (at present I’m using Firefox which is where I normally am) hence I can often miss it.

However, when I was playing a game last night (full-screen) the popup did work, it came up at the front, minimising my game. This is what I expect to happen all the time. Could this be something peculiar to Firefox?