Contact sync errors keep popping up

I keep getting sync errors stating ‘Failed to upload contact’, with buttons to either overwrite local copy or remote copy of contact (I always select overwrite local). Based on the text of the error, it seems to be because of some inconsistency between the synced copy on my local machine and the copy on Google’s server.
The error message pops up regardless of whether I am using emClient actively or not. The contacts that it has had error messages with are not contacts I am emailing, chatting, or utilizing in any way. Once, the error message has hung up emClient enough that I had to kill it via Task Manager.

version: 6.0.20498.0
Synced 2 different Gmail accounts – error has popped up on both.

p.s. Many thanks for a stellar, fully-featured client. Made me believe in desktop email again!

Hi, this occurs when an updated version of the contact is available on the server or on your computer, you either have to chose which one you want to keep (if the server version or the local), or you can try to right click the whole contacts folder, select Properties > Repair and click on the “Repair” button.
Repair deletes all your local contacts and downloads what’s available on the server, that should help the issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Thanks for the response.

I also managed to locate a similar issue which appears to be due to the contact list being accessed through multiple clients (whether phones or computers): https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/contact_updates_wont_stop_popping_up

Just curious, are you using CardDav to access Google Contacts? If not, I wonder if that would alleviate these “sync” issues? Given the plethora of devices that people use to access email/contacts/calendar, it seems a tad silly that using multiple devices should cause such issues.

Hi, no we’re not using CardDav/CalDav with Google services, we’re using GData to access Google services.
If you’re still having issues with this can you go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on GData logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Replicate the issue
    When the error/popup comes up, go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

I’m seeing exactly the same thing for a contact in one of my GApps accounts. It is always the same contact, and the conflict happens usually 2-3 times a day. It doesn’t matter whether I select “Local” or “Remote” to try and resolve it, and I haven’t noticed any obvious pattern that triggers the problem - often it happens while eM Client is just running in the background. The only thing I can think of is that I think (not 100% sure) I tried to use eM Client’s “pair with contact” feature on this person some time back, to join them up with another account of theirs. I’m also using eM Client on two different computers with the same accounts if that makes any difference.

I tried enabling GData logging as you suggested though I only restarted eM Client, didn’t reboot the PC. The GData log files are always zero length (so are the IMAP and XMPP logs). I’m not really prepared to send through the standard log file sorry, it contains vast amounts of personal information including the entire contents of calendar entries and emails(?!?!). I’d be happy to dig through it if there’s anything in particular I should be looking for (I did try and couldn’t see anything obvious).

Any ideas how to resolve this, other than disable the errors which seems like a fairly blunt “solution” to the problem?

Hi Chris, what version of eM Client are you currently using? Are you using an IMAP account? If so, please try to right click your contacts folder and select Properties > Repair, and click on the repair button, please do the same on both of your computers. Let me know if the issue persists.
I’m afraid if you make any changes to a contact you need to overwrite the local item on your other devices to avoid conflict.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

I’m using version 6.0.21040.0 and the problem account is a Google Apps account, so yes, using IMAP.

I’ve just gone through and run a repair on ALL my accounts on both PCs, hopefully that will sort it out but not I’ll let you know. I’m certain that I did select “Local” when I first saw the dialog appear - in fact it was a long time before I eventually tried clicking “Remote” since “Local” didn’t seem to be working despite seeming like the right option to try.

Thanks kindly for your help. I’m going to avoid changing any contacts from eM Client from now on so hopefully this will be the end of the problem.

Hi again, please let me know if the issue reoccurs, I’ll be happy to assist in resolving the issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately it has just happened again. I went through and ran “Repair” on my contacts from all accounts on both PCs, and restarted eM Client on both. The same contact is still causing the error. The GData logs are empty and I can’t see anything wrong in the IMAP logs either. Any ideas?

Hi again Chris, did you run the repair on the contacts folder or on the account, make sure to run the repair on your contacts folders, not the account (repair on your account just re-synchronizes the subfolder tree).
If the issue reoccurs even after folder repair, do you know which contact are you having issues with, try to delete the contact and readd it.

If the issue persists, please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable Gdata logging for the problematic google apps account.

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to my email [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

I ran repair on all the contacts folders, not the account. There was a green progress bar in the bottom right and all of the contacts refreshed/repopulated.

Since doing this however the problem has become worse! I’m now getting different contacts, in different accounts, that are exhibiting the same problem. These are seemingly random contacts, some that I haven’t been in touch with for a long time. I definitely haven’t edited them with eM Client, nor have I edited them at all anywhere that I can think of, certainly not recently.

I tried deleting the original contact that was giving me trouble, now I’m not quite sure how to add the contact back. eM Client does appear to recognise them as a contact (complete with photo) if I look at one of the emails they sent me, but they no longer appear in the contact list or chat list.

I already enabled the GData logging a few days ago. GData log files exist for each account but they always remain empty (zero bytes in size). The other log files don’t seem to contain anything of significance. I’m not really willing to send most of those logs through though I’m sorry because they contain a lot of personal details including calendar entries and emails, many of which are personal or commercially sensitive.

It looks like you’re using SQLite as your DB format. Is there any code/queries I can run to see if something in the contacts table is corrupt?

Hi Chris, if possible, we’d like to see the GData logs from this issue to resolve the issue, this most probably not an issue of the database, however you can run this database repair tool to check for database corruption:
http://www.emclient.com/tools/dbrepairrebuildall.exe

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

As I mentioned a couple of times, the GData log files are always completely empty across all my accounts, even after several days of use and many sync error dialogs.

Here’s a screen capture of the C:\Users<username>AppData\Roaming\eM Client\Logs directory:

The logs shown above were new ones started yesterday and that I left logging overnight (the top three greyed-out files are the problem account). In the morning there were two sync error dialogs visible, despite my not having used this instance of eM Client at all overnight. I dismissed both the dialogs by selecting “Local” then shut down eM Client before taking the above screen capture to ensure the logs were flushed to disk. (In the past I’ve tried selecting “Remote” but the behaviour is the same and the GData log files always remain zero bytes in size).

The non-GData logs obviously contain a fair amount of information. If any of those are of interest I’ll clean them of email bodies etc and send them through.

Thanks for the link to the DB repair tool. I tried that but as you suspected it didn’t find any problems.

Hi again Chris, this is highly unusual are you able to synchronize your calendars? Can you please navigate to Tools > Accounts > Your account > Calendar and Contacts, and make a screenshot of the account setup?
Please send me the screenshot to my email with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.

Google contact sync errors keep popping up for me either.
Very annoying (dozen of popups every day).

Hi Alexis, can you please make a screenshot of the issue? What version of eM Client are you currently using, can you check for the exact version number in Help > About?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul.
I’m using the latest version, 6.0.21040.0
Usually the issue appears when the contact goes online

Thanks
Alexis

Hi again Alexis, can you please try to update eM Client to this version: http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21151/setup.msi and check if the issue persists?
If it does can you please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and turn on CardDAV and XMPP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul.