Constantly getting Red Triangle

@Debbie_Mahder

while I have not made any changes or additions to my firewall or antivirus I will check those tonight to see if anything was updated/changed.

What firewall & antivirus program do you have ?

Glasswire & Microsoft Security Essentials

@Debbie_Mahder

Glasswire & Microsoft Security Essentials

Ok Microsoft Essentials (built in OS defender firewall) normally won’t be an issue. However try “resetting defender to defaults” anyway just incase anything has changed in there.

Also completely disable Glasswire (firewall) and then close and reopen eM Client & see if it makes and difference to the red triangle problems.

If still no change, uninstall eM Client and “don’t delete the database” when asked on the uninstall wizard. Then reinstall the same or later version of eM Client from the release history page.

Lastly what version of eM Client are you running and what version of Windows are you running?

Thank you for all these suggestions! I reset defender to defaults. I disabled Glasswire and then closed & reopened eM Client and it still happens. The uninstall/reinstall I will have to do later as I need to go for now.

I am on version 9.2.1735 eM Client and Windows 7 (I know, I know but I still love it so much). This PC (and I) hated 10 and I’m getting a new PC this summer if not sooner. I do use it on a laptop but I still hate it, ha.

@Debbie_Mahder

The uninstall/reinstall I will have to do later as I need to go for now.

Hopefully the uninstall and reinstall will then fix it.

I am on version 9.2.1735 eM Client and Windows 7 (I know, I know but I still love it so much). This PC (and I) hated 10 and I’m getting a new PC this summer if not sooner. > I do use it on a laptop but I still hate it, ha.

Ah Windows 7. Very old OS now. If the uninstall and reinstall of eM Client makes no difference, then Windows 7 could be the issue as eg: might be missing stuff in the OS itself that is needed by eM Client 9.2.x to work properly.

Does your laptop have Win 10 or 11 on it ? If you do, does eM Client get the red triangles errors on that with your accounts ? Or does it work ok on your laptop.

Also what are your IMAP settings in the accounts with the red triangles. Blank out anything personal.

Hey there, I just wanted to let you know though I didn’t get to the uninstall/reinstall, today so far (fingers crossed) I haven’t seen the red triangle. I’m not sure which of the previous steps may have had an impact as I still got the red triangle yesterday after doing each one. If I continue to have them I will do the uninstall/reinstall.

I actually haven’t used my Win 10 laptop in several months and I didn’t have eM Client installed on it since I use it so infrequently.

Thank you for all your direction and help!

1 Like

Just an update - for a few days I wasn’t getting the red triangle then I did again but randomly. For over 24 hours now that’s all I’ve gotten and haven’t been able to sync my email. I looked at the logs and saw this:
“RECEIVED_LINE = TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are not supported. Please upgrade/update your client to support TLS 1.2.” so I did a forum search on TLS 1.2 and saw something about changing the settings on my account to change to “force usage of SSL/TLS” so I changed it to that and it instantly started downloading all my mail from the last day. It was previously on “use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)”

I just wanted to come back and post in case anyone else has this issue in the future.

2 Likes

Ah yes there was also (apart from the client modification to force use of SSL/TLS) the old TLS 1.0 / 1.1 in Win 7 that needs to be updated. This was link @Gary provided in the below thread for how to enable TLS 1.2 if you need it as well if you still get any errors with TLS 1.0 / 1.1 not supported.

1 Like

Bottom line, emclient just isn’t functional. On all Yahoo accounts I get the red triangle and on every device, mac, iphone, ipad, it has to reload messages for every folder, including archival. It takes forever, and also means I cannot work offline on archived email. This morning, I signed up for this site and was sent an email confirmation. It arrived almost immediately in my Apple Mail Inbox, yet it took almost 40 seconds to load in eM Client Inbox. I was so looking forward to the benefits of all the new features in eM that I paid for the upgrade, but this is not working. Did all the delete you account and reinstall, upgrade to latest, have a mac with no vpn or virus protections. The fault lies with eM.

@Onlinebuyingonly

On all Yahoo accounts I get the red triangle.

have a mac with no vpn or virus protections

On eM Client for Mac click, the dropdown on the right of refresh and click Show Operations. Then click the log tab and look for any obvious errors and paste them in this thread. We might then be able to see why you get the red triangles.

Also what version of eM Client for Mac do you have ? Al’so what Mac OS are you running ?

Thanks for your prompt response.

New iMac: 24", M1, 2021. Ventura 13.3.1 (a). 8GB RAM
eM Client: 9.2.1818 (317 bebe)

Looks like it is timing out at 1:00, see below. Also, it appears to take a long time to sync when I read and file email in the AM. I get about 50 a day and move to respective folders. It takes its time syncing when that happens. The following is a full copy of my sync log. Sorry it is so long. A little concerned that I am posting proprietary/personal information here, but I think I have redacted as appropriate. Again, thank you for your assistance.

So, it–the system–tells me new users can only include two links in a post and will not allow me to paste the log. Not knowing what a “link” is, I cannot rectify. You may be able to assist.

@Onlinebuyingonly

Looks like it is timing out at 1:00, see below. Also, it appears to take a long time to sync when I read and file email in the AM. I get about 50 a day and move to respective folders. It takes its time syncing when that happens

So, it–the system–tells me new users can only include two links in a post and will not allow me to paste the log

Ok as you cannot paste the log in this thread, and have just purchased eM Client which has support for 12 months, I would then go to the Pro support page https://support.emclient.com , and login at the top left with your registered email address and password and create a ticket with your full log and problem you are having etc.

red trangle here also.
Un-iinstalled - restarted re-instaled
It hung for several minutes. Then i loaded update Ihad 9.2—
Triangle still present
Jim /*

I am constantly having the same problem! I am currently using ver 9.2.2.157, but constantly have to click on the red triangle for all my accounts. If this does not get resolved, I will probably stop using the software and go to Outlook or another email client.

See this announcement:

I have 4 free Microsoft email addresses. They used to work without any problems in eM Client prior to the change Microsoft made to my accounts as referenced.

I then had to set them all up in eMClient as iMap as specified. They work, but I am getting red triangles intermittently on 4 computers for both emClient V9 and V10, Windows 10 and 11. This particularly happens on eM Client program startup where eM Client would be issuing many ?requests? to MS servers from the same IP address.

All my MS email accounts work fine using outlook.com and Outlook app on mobile.

I have a suspicion that Microsoft servers may have timing or other limits handling large numbers of iMap requests from non-Microsoft email clients. Could this be by intention by Microsoft, to try to force people to use Microsoft apps?

I am eventually getting all my emails in eM Client, but seeing and dealing with red triangles is frustrating.

I will stay with eM Client and have just accepted the intermittent red triangles as penalty from Microsoft.

Maybe eM Client could give me an option to ignore transient red triangles, or slow down the requests to Microsoft servers, maybe giving us an appropriate account setting to adjust timing.

BTW, the only third-party security software is Malwarebytes (which shouldn’t affect email). As an experiment, I stopped Malwarebytes starting up for a few days and still got red triangles.

@John_A

I had to set them all up in eMClient as IMAP as specified. They work, but I am getting red triangles intermittently on 4 computers for both emClient V9 and V10, Windows 10 and 11

As this is happening on 4 different Windows computers with eM Client 9 and 10, sounds like either a eg: local software issue wirh possibly something running in the background on the computers interferring wirh eM CIient, or maybe a eg: physical ip address or dns problem wirh the internet connection, as you shouldnt normally be getting constant intermittant red triangles connecting to Microsoft IMAP servers.

Sometimes optional firewall / secuirty programs, optional antivirus programs or vpns can cause problems with eM Client.

I see you mention you only have Malwarebytes. Have you tried “completely uninstalling it to test” and rebooting your computer ? As some of the Malwarebytes versions have built-in Antivirus and Vpns as well, which might be interferring wirh eM CIient depending on the version you have installed.

Now if you have already tried completely uninstalling Malwarebytes, then try powering off your modem / router and any internal internet switches etc if you have any of those as well in your house for at least a minute, and then back on just incase its an isp assigned ip address problem. Sometimes auto assigned (dynamic) ip addresses go stale and then dont work properly. So that could fix the problem.

Also if you are using alternate dns servers like eg: Cloudfare or Google etc, try changing back to your ISP auto assigned dns server addresses and see if that makes a difference.

Now if norhing makes any difference, when you get the red triangle, click the dropdown arrow in eM CIient on the right of Refresh at the top left and click Show Operations. Then click the log tab and look for any obvious errors and paste them in this thread. Blank out anything personal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use Malwarebytes Pro but not their VPN. Malwarebytes Real Time protection doesn’t affect normal email operations, it stops an infected attachment only if it tries to execute.

I tried removing Malwarebytes and still got red triangles.

I don’t use alternate dns servers.

Modem refresh doesn’t help.

I got two different transient errors recently, extracted from the logs below. Ignored them, did a refresh and no errors occurred. (Account names in the log have been changed.)

My Windows computers are stock standard Windows, fully updated, nothing abnormal running in the background. I have no issues with my Windows performance or any other app, except for eMClient.

I had no issues with my Microsoft accounts with eMClient using the Exchange Web Services protocol. These errors only occur using iMap.

Log extract
2:59:18 PM [email protected] [AirSync] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Synchronization error (SyncStateNotFound)
at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(IItemSynchronizeContext1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_2.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__6(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken ct) at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status) at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status) EnqueuedStackTrace = at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_1.g__RunSynchronize|2()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_0.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__0() at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.EnqueueSynchronize(Folder folder, Boolean fast, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 completed) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, Action1 completed) at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection2.Synchronize(SynchronizationPriority priority, Action1 completed, Boolean fromUI) at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection2.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
at MailClient.Storage.Application.Folder.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncAccount.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.b__2(CompletionEventArgs e)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__1(CompletionEventArgs completionEventArgs)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.RequestIssuer.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.b__0(Object sender, CompletionEventArgs e)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Complete()
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.DefaultSynchronizationQueue.ThreadWorker(Object threadData)
at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

2:59:18 PM [email protected] [AirSync] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Synchronization error (InvalidSynchronizationKey)
at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(IItemSynchronizeContext1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_2.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__6(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken ct) at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncGenericCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status) at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status) EnqueuedStackTrace = at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_1.g__RunSynchronize|2()
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.<>c__DisplayClass40_0.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__0() at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.EnqueueSynchronize(Folder folder, Boolean fast, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Action1 completed) at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer2.Synchronize(Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, Action1 completed) at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection2.Synchronize(SynchronizationPriority priority, Action1 completed, Boolean fromUI) at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection2.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
at MailClient.Storage.Application.Folder.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
at MailClient.Protocols.AirSync.AirSyncAccount.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.b__2(CompletionEventArgs e)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.FolderSynchronizer.<>c__DisplayClass16_0.b__1(CompletionEventArgs completionEventArgs)
at MailClient.Protocols.Common.RequestIssuer.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.b__0(Object sender, CompletionEventArgs e)
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Complete()
at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
at MailClient.Commands.DefaultSynchronizationQueue.ThreadWorker(Object threadData)
at System.Threading.Thread.StartHelper.Callback(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

[AirSync] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Synchronization error (SyncStateNotFound)

This error i believe is a “Microsoft server end problem” with mail clients using Airsync & IMAP accounts. I personally have not seen that error for sometime in my part of the world, so i can only presume there is problems with maybe some eg: different Microsoft mirror mail servers around the globe.

All i can suggest is to “try their alternate IMAP Server address” of outlook.office365.com as in the example screenshot below, rather than the normal IMAP Server address of imap-mail.outlook.com , and then close and open eM Client and see if that makes any difference.

Both IMAP mail server address’s work for me on Win 10 / 11 & Mac Sonoma with personal Microsoft accounts using eM Client V9.2 and V10 Beta. So i carn’t fault eM Client.

MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Synchronization error (InvalidSynchronizationKey)

Sry I don’t know what the error InvalidSynchronizationKey is referring to. Hopefully another user on this forum knows what that is.

Thanks for that suggestion, I have changed the IMAP server address to outlook.office365.com on two computers - so far, so good! I will leave it like that for a while to see if any more errors occur.

Reporting back after using IMAP Server address of outlook.office365.com.

The red triangle errors have reduced by about 90% using that server. In my tests the red triangles occasionally appear again if more than 2 of my computers are using eMClient simultaneously.

Some of my accounts have many mail-boxes nested under InBox. My theory is that Microsoft servers get a bit overwhelmed by eM Client requests from the same domain when I have multiple computers at the same time.

So the result is acceptable, thanks for your suggestion.