Can't send mail with VPN connected

When my VPN is connected (ProtonVPN), I can’t send mail. Outgoing mail just sits in my outbox. I do receive mail normally. Proton has no answer for this. Can this be fixed so I can send mail while still using my VPN?

Does your VPN have the ability to change servers? If so give that a try. I have to change servers with my VPN (NordVPN) occasionally when a server develops issues.

1 Like

I tried 6 or 7 different servers with the same result. Proton tells me that mail clients do something to their SMTP to prevent users from sending spam when connected to VPN. As a result, nothing gets through. Proton is stumped, but I haven’t heard from the people at eM Client yet. Still looking for them to look at this.

When my VPN is connected (ProtonVPN), I can’t send mail. Outgoing mail just sits in my outbox. I do receive mail normally. Proton has no answer for this. Can this be fixed so I can send mail while still using my VPN?

It’s your VPN that’s the issue. Most VPNs cause havoc with mail clients due to the way they work. You either need to try a different VPN or “don’t use them at all” when using Mail clients.

See the following thread on Proton VPN.

I read the thread, thanks. I ran diagnostics in the mail client but it failed to fix the problem. Is there a way to create a trouble ticket with eM client support?

Hello,
VPNs make it possible to exclude applications from the VPN (VPN segmentation)
So the VPN is active except for the applications you have defined.

I excluded eM Client from my PC and Samsung email from my Android phone. It worked on Android, but not on my PC. Same settings (I was having this issue on both devices).

Did you exclude C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\MailClient.exe in your VPN

Yes. I get this error message. The blank spaces are my email address.

@thuddriver

Have you tried “split tunneling”?

Split tunneling on Windows and Android - ProtonVPN Support

](Split tunneling on Windows and Android - ProtonVPN Support)

1 Like

miércoles 02 marzo 2022 :: 1455hrs (UTC +01:00)

If you want to use VPN, for whatever reason, have a look at HideAway
We have been using it since it was released and have never had a problem

Hideaway VPN - The Worlds Fastest VPN | Firetrust

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

I have been using split tunneling with eM Client selected but the issue remains. I have to disconnect from VPN in order to send mail.

I paid for a two year subscription to Proton, so switching to another service would be costly.

miércoles 02 marzo 2022 :: 2118hrs (UTC +01:00)

You can try HideAway FREE, I think for 30 days, you have nothing to lose.
You can then decide what you want to do.
From time to time they offer big discounts for maybe 3 or 4 days for new
and existing users.
No, we do not have any association with Firetrust we just think they are
the best on the market, we also use their Mailwasher Pro and have
done since 2005 plus the server version when it was introduced.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Since we are recommending alternative vpn services, I recommend express vpn and Tunnelbear. The reasoning being:

1. They both work and have been around for many years.
  2. They both are annually independently audited. This is critical for me. An independent company needs to audit them and publish the results and the actions the company takes after.

I also have used Firetrust mailwasher Pro for decades and assume hideaway is very good and @skybat has checked it out. But Tunnelbear also provides a plan for free for 500 mb per month. Which should give you free testing of whether you can send mail.

Just now tried Tunnelbear and I get the same error message when sending mail through eM Client.

Who is your mail host?
Can you post a snapshot of your SMTP settings?

Just an idea/guess…

Unless you left the User Name off for display security reason, should there be a user name entered??

The security policy is incorrect.

For port 587, use Force usage of SSL/TLS

Click Save & Close when done.

I changed the setting to force usage of ssl/tls, and the mail went to my outbox and is sitting there. No error message, just sits there.