Cannot authenticate through POP server

Hi, I have an issue authenticating with the Gmail pop server. I can access my gmail account online and through my phone. Running bit defender firewall has rule for emclient. I use emclient daily no changes made to PC. Yet the dialogue box keeps asking me for a password, I have typed it in multiple times.

What can I do to fix this?

I have the same issue. And I can’t find a fix anywhere.

I have an issue authenticating with the Gmail pop server

Google no longer support the “less secure” pop username and password login, so you now need to enable “secure login” in your Google account security section and then add your Gmail account via the “automatic email wizard” in eM Client which is then setup as IMAP once configured. See eM Client support links below.

Once you have done that, then you drag all your old POP mail “below your new Gmail IMAP account” to the relavent same IMAP folders above.

Then finally once you have all your old POP mail safely in the same IMAP Gmail folders, you can then remove your old POP account.

Note: Before doing anything backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when it’s backed up via “Menu / Operations”.

“Google ‘less secure apps’ access and what it means for eM Client”

https://www.emclient.com/blog/google–less-secure-apps–access-and-what-it-means-for-em-client-489

“eM Client with Google Workspace”

https://www.emclient.com/em-with-google-workspace

Same problem. Why does Google consider eM Client to be NOT SECURE enough to access Gmail via POP3? Google no longer has a “use less secure client” option.

Why does Google consider eM Client to be NOT SECURE enough to access Gmail via POP3?

Google doesn’t consider eM Client not secure.

It’s Googles new policy with “any mail client” that has to be secure login to access a Google Workspace mail account from May 2022.

eM Client has used the secure OAuth secure login since V7 via the “automatic email wizard”.

So it’s only if you have still been using the old POP mail manual setup in eM Client with a username and password, and with the less secure option in your Google account that Google will now block you.

Google website url for details of their new policy.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

Quote - Less secure apps & your Google Account
To help keep your account secure, from May 30, 2022, ​​Google no longer supports the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password.

Thanks for your response. Does that mean that I can no longer use POP3, and must switch to imap instead? If so, how can I save all of my existing emails and folders?

Thanks!
Don

Does that mean that I can no longer use POP3, and must switch to imap instead?

You now are meant to use IMAP with Google and enable the secure login in your Google account.

If so, how can I save all of my existing emails and folders?

So you initially leave your POP account “as it is in eM Client” and then go to “Menu / Accounts” and add your Gmail account again via the “automatic email wizard” where you will then end up with and IMAP Gmail workspace account.

See how to add a Google Workspace account.

Once you have done that, then you drag all your old POP mail “below your new Gmail IMAP account” to the relavent same IMAP folders above.

Then finally once you have all your old POP mail safely in the same IMAP Gmail folders, you can then remove your old POP account

Note: First before doing anything if you don’t already backup via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when it’s backed up via “Menu / Operations”.

Can the data in the old pop be combined with IMAP ?
Is there a video tutorial?

Can the data in the old pop be combined with IMAP ?

Yes the email messages “are exactly the same” whether POP or IMAP and will integrate perfectly when you drag them to the same folders.

Is there a video tutorial?

No video tutorial I’m aware of.

It’s very straightforward though. Just don’t touch your current POP account initially in eM Client and first just "add your Gmail account again via the automatic email wizard & follow the instructions I’ve given previously above at the top of thread.

Thank you! Another problem 
 I have 2 email accounts in my free version, and can’t spare the $50 for Pro right now. Therefore I cannot add the new account to convert to IMAP, even though I will delete the old POP3 account AFTER transferring the existing emails. Any work around for this. I will still have only 2 email accounts after transfer and deletion. Thanks for your help. Don

@Don6

Another problem 
 I have 2 email accounts in my free version, and can’t spare the $50 for Pro right now. Therefore I cannot add the new account to convert to IMAP, even though I will delete the old POP3 account AFTER transferring the existing emails.

In “Local folders” in eM Client “at the bottom left”, if they are both POP accounts and you need the convert them to new IMAP accounts, you can create folders called eg: Old mail 1 and Old mail 2 and then drag your POP mail “from each account at the top” including any folders associated with each account “down to these separate old mail folders”.

Then once your old POP mail is then all down safely in local folders and backed up, then “remove your old POP accounts” at the top and re-add your Gmail IMAP account and / or any other IMAP account at the top.

Finally once you then have re-setup your Gmail IMAP or any other IMAP account at the top, then “drag back up your old POP account emails” from local folders old mail 1 & 2 to the relavent matching IMAP account matching folders.

“To show local folders in eM Client, click “Menu / Settings / General / Show local folders”.

Note:- As previously backup eM Client first though before you do anything via “Menu / Backup”. You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Operations”.

1 Like

Hi cyberzork,

Thanks for your response. I did as instructed and created a new IMAP account. I moved my folders from my POP account to my IMAP Account. Then I removed my POP account. A backup was made.

When I changed my Gmail from POP to IMAP, all my emails started downloading again from my Gmail account. I have a lot of emails.

So I googled the problem and limited the Folder size limits to 1000.

Do not limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder (default)

Limit IMAP folders to contain no more than this many messages

This morning I noticed my current emails from 10 June or June 10, depending on where you are from, are not downloading? I increased the size limit from 1000 to 2000, with no change.

I have also received this message from Em Client.

“Rons Emails: An error occurred

[IMAP] Message of size 42.5 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.”

I have a new email folder, “All Mail”, which had to be activated to do the conversion. The issue is when I search, I am informed the email I searched for is in “All Mail”. So I concluded every email stored in Em Client, irrespective of what folder I have kept them in, appears in all Mail, but it does not show me what sub folder I stored it in. I like to group my emails.

How do I get my current emails to continue to download?

When I do a search, is there any way it can tell me what sub folder I stored it in?

Also, refresh is continuous?

@Ron11

When I changed my Gmail from POP to IMAP, all my emails started downloading again from my Gmail account. I have a lot of emails.

So I googled the problem and limited the Folder size limits to 1000

Sry I have never limited Gmail IMAP accounts or any IMAP accounts so carn’t help with that issue.

The only thing I can suggest is if you are getting old POP mail that hadn’t been cleared from your Gmail mailbox prior to changing to IMAP, then close eM Client and the go online to your Gmail account and delete them and clear them from your Gmail trash folder online. Then reopen eM Client which then won’t redownload them.

“Rons Emails: An error occurred

[IMAP] Message of size 42.5 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB

This normally means you have eg: emails with file attachments 25mb or larger trying to send stuck in your outbox or the trash folder not cleared yet still trying to sync with Gmail online which is over the Gmail allowed limit.

So check your outbox and trash folder if there is any emails there with large file attachments in there. If there is delete those & then close and reopen eM Client.

I have a new email folder, “All Mail”, which had to be activated to do the conversion. The issue is when I search, I am informed the email I searched for is in “All Mail”. So I concluded every email stored in Em Client, irrespective of what folder I have kept them in, appears in all Mail, but it does not show me what sub folder I stored it in. I like to group my emails

The Gmail “All Mail” folder is where Gmail store all the email received or sent etc in Gmail. It’s basically the “Archive” folder for everything.

You can create as many Gmail labels (folders) as you like outside of the All Mail folder under your Gmail account in eM Client which are all then linked to the All Mail folder.

When I do a search, is there any way it can tell me what sub folder I stored it in?

When you “Tag” emails to a specific Gmail label in eM Client it will show you in All Mail “at the top right” of each email which label (folder) the email message resides in. However if you haven’t ever tagged emails in eM Client, nothing will show.

Thanks again you are a legend!

Forgot the most important thing my new emails are not syncing with Gmail and are not being downloaded?

@Ron11

Forgot the most important thing my new emails are not syncing with Gmail and are not being downloaded?

If you are not downloading email or syncing new email from eM Client, then could be some program locally installed on your computer interfering.

So if you have any eg: optional installed Firewall / Security programs, optional Antivirus email scanning programs, or VPNs etc, try disabling those to test if eM Client then works.

Failing that when in eM Client click “Refresh” at the top left and then click “Menu / Operations” and go to the log tab and look for any obvious error messages.

Hi cyberzork,
In response to your last note, I am using Bit Defender and I turned the Firewall off even though there was a rule for Em Client with full access.

Just giving you an update on my move from POP to IMAP.

I have had my computer on for the last couple of days, the refresh has not stopped?
When I moved all my POP folders to the IMAP account, I randomly checked if the emails were all transferred, they were. When I finished the transfer, I went through the remaining POP folder, the ones that could not be moved or deleted, and checked that no more emails were left in the POP account. I then deleted the POP account.

I have deleted over 30,000 emails, from my IMAP account; they appear in the Em Client trash folder; they are sitting in the trash folder. I can not delete them from there? I have read that they should disappear in 30 days; please confirm. I think the delete from the Server period can be changed?

I needed to do a few searches for past emails; they are all in the “All Mail" folder. When I checked the folders where these emails were copied to, they were all gone, the folder remains, but there are no longer any emails left in those folders? A lot of work went into putting those emails where they were.
Although continually refreshing, none of the numbers (email count) are changing? Em Client has not synced with my Gmail account since 10 June 2022?

All of the folders are in the “More” section.

When I go to my Gmail account,
‱ the Trash folder has 511 emails; it does not match what my Em Client is recording?
‱ All the folders I created in my IMAP account have been created in my Gmail account online along with the emails intact. Syncing in reverse?

1. Why isn’t Em Client syncing my latest emails?
  2. Why has Em Client deleted my local copy of my emails?
  3. Why is Em Client continuously refreshing when the email count is stagnated?
  4. Do I need to increase the Server limit
    “Error log [IMAP] Message of size 117.4 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.”
  5. Where do I change the server limit?

Please see IMAP settings below.

Thanks,
Ron

IMAP access: (access Gmail from other clients using IMAP) Learn more
© Enable IMAP
O Disable IMAP

When I mark a message in IMAP as deleted:
O Auto-Expunge on - Immediately update the server, (default)
© Auto-Expunge off- Wait for the client to update the server.

When a message is marked as deleted and expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:
© Archive the message (default)
O Move the message to the Bin
O Immediately delete the message forever

Folder size limits
© Do not limit the number of messages in an IMAP folder (default)
O Limit IMAP folders to contain no more than this many messages | 1,000 * |

Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird, iPhone)
Configuration instructions

Sorry, I thought you might be interested in the log as well?

20:47:52 Rons Emails Google Settings Synchronizing tags

20:47:53 Rons Emails Google Calendar Synchronizing folder ‘/Calendar’

20:47:53 Rons Emails XMPP Synchronizing folder ‘/’

20:47:55 Rons Emails IMAP Uploading folder 7_Keep 2’

20:47:56 Rons Emails Google Settings Synchronizing tags

20:47:56 Rons Emails IMAP Uploading folder ‘.■Test’

20:47:57 Rons Emails IMAP Uploading folder ‘/Trash’

20:47:58 Rons Emails [IMAP] MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Creating or updating folder ‘/Trash’ failed due to the following error: Duplicate folder,.

GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

20:47:58 Rons Emails IMAP Uploading item(s) to folder ‘/All Mail’

20:47:58 Rons Emails [IMAP] MailClient.Storage.Application.ltemOperationException: Message of size 36.2 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.

20:47:58 Rons Emails [IMAP] MailClient.Storage.Application.ltemOperationException: Message of size 42.5 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.

20:47:59 Rons Emails [IMAP] MailClient.Storage.Application.ltemOperationException: Message of size 44.1 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.

20:48:01 Rons Emails [IMAP] MailClient.Storage.Application.ltemOperationException: Message of size 117.4 MB is above server limit of 34.0 MB.

20:49:11 Rons Emails Google Contacts Synchronizing folder ‘/Contacts’

20:49:11 Rons Emails Google Settings Synchronizing tags

20:49:11 Rons Emails Google Contacts Synchronizing folder list

Hi cyberzork,

I have not had a response for 4 days. Can you help me? If not please let me know. Thank you.