calDAV password unauthorized error

I have just installed eM Client and set up my first account,  an icloud account.
I created an app specific password for the account, the email and contacts sync no problem but the calDAV returns an unauthorized login error.
Any suggetions?

Hi Huv,

When you say you created an ‘app Specific password’ for the account, I lose you.  eMclient itself does not require a app specific password itself.  The password it asks you for is your original password for the icloud account.  It is trying to set itself up so that it can authorize itself to access your email and use the smtp server provided by the icloud account.  If you think I’m onto something, I suggest you make sure you have all the account and server details at hand, Then go into eM client menu -> Tools -> account and then manually configure it.  There is a diagnose button that will test it for you.  

Let me know if I am on the right track.

cheers, allan

Hi Allan,

For any application outside the Apple ecosystem you need to create an “app specific” password otherwise you can not access your icloud data. So if you  use the Windows 10 built in email/calendar app you have to create a app specific password (in your icloud account) just for that application. You can not use your regular icloud password it just does not work. See the following post:

https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/constantly-asking-for-caldav-and-carddav-password-for-me-…

Also the contacts and email sync ok,  its just the calendar that does not, so the app specific password is working for email and contacts. Calendar is the only problem.

Huw

Hue,

Thanks for that explanation. Learn something new every day. But does sound like Apple. Always extra work if perhaps you wish to use something else. Although we have 3 apple devices, i don’t use iCloud for mail or anything for that matter.

Cheers
Allan

Hello Huw,
can you please copy the full message and the content of the Log tab? (third tab in the same Operations window)

Regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia,

Contents as requested,

13:20:15 Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability 
13:20:18 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
13:20:21 iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
13:20:22 iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
13:20:23 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
13:20:23 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder iCloud/Outbox
13:20:23 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done
13:20:23 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder iCloud/INBOX
13:20:26 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

Huw

Hello Huw,
seems like the issue did not happen as there seems to be nothing wrong in the log (even with CardDAV).
Please copy the log after the error pops up.

Regards,
Olivia

The problem is with calDAV not CardDav (which works ok)

This is the log after the error popup, there is no mention of calDAV even though I get the error. IMAP and CardDAV sync no problem as seen in the log.
Does the log record unauthorized errors?

13:55:28 Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability 
13:55:28 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
13:55:29 iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder iCloud/
13:55:29 iCloud [CardDAV]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
13:55:31 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
13:55:31 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder iCloud/Outbox
13:55:31 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done
13:55:31 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: For folder iCloud/INBOX
13:55:33 iCloud [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

Huw

Huw,

I’m sure Olivia is still on it, but just thinking about Apple. 

Is it possible that something got mucked up on the Apple side?  If you think it is a possibility, they have pretty good support.  Perhaps they can find something in their logs? 

Allan

Hello Huw,
have you tried using both the regular and the app password for the CalDAV login?

Regards,
Olivia

Tried both regular and app specific passwords same problem.
I have now installed it eMClient on my laptop I get exactly the same problem. The built in mail/calendar in Windows 10 works OK with no problems so I believe the problem is with eMClient calDAV communication.

Huw

Hello Huw,
please contact me at [email protected] with a link to this forum post.

Regards,
Olivia

email sent

Huw

Apple have just introduced a 2 tier access password system, I think this might be the cause of the problem that I am having too!

Hue,

Glad you had a look over that way. Their logs just might have some more clues.

Cheers, Allan

David,

Apple have been using second factor authentication for a couple of years now,  it used to be optional they may have made it compulsory recently. I have always used it so i have not noticed if they have made it compulsory. You need  an app specific password to log into icloud from a device that is not an Apple product. These are easy to create in your account in icloud, just go to Manage Apple ID then Security.

Huw

Hey thanks for that, yes Apple just made it cumpulsary for me so I had to comply. I’m a retired chap, nothing to steal or hide I’m finding these increased security measures rather a burden.
Won’t ever have another Apple product prefer Android, so I guess Apple will not have me worry about in future.
Got the app specific password so I’ll see how it goes
Thanks again
David

David,

Pleased to be of help.

Did it work and does the Calendar sync, as that is my only problem.

Huw

Yes! it now appears I can see my iCloud calendar in eM Client until Apple find another way to screw with me :slight_smile:

Hello,
just to follow up with the solution here:
the calDAV needed the original (I guess) form of the mail account user name.
Simply changing the address from [email protected] to [email protected] resolved the issue in this case.

Regards,
Olivia