Blank Emails Show Up in InBox

I saw that someone posted about this back in eM Client v5 over a year ago, but there was no resolution listed.

Every now and then, I will find that my Inbox has a blank email or two. The From and Subject fields are blank. The To field is “undisclosed recipients”. The Received date is blank which shows up as 12/31/1969. Has anyone else seen this issue? I’ll see this issue with my 2 IMAP accounts.

With my Exchange account, the emails show up slightly differently. For those, the To and Subject fields are blank, while the From field is “[email protected]”. In the most recent case, I had two of these emails that had the Sent date of 03/12/2015 at 4:18 AM and the Received dates of 03/08/2015 at 4:59 PM and 6:57 PM. 

• Merg

Hi, do these messages appear in your inbox automatically without having to either import or archive/move any messages into the selected folder? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact version number in Help > About?

Are you seeing any errors thrown by the application?

Thank you,
Paul

I am using v6.0.21372.0. I am not seeing any errors from the application.

I am not sure how/when these messages are appearing. I’ll just notice them in the Inbox. I don’t know if they appear after I move messages to a folder or not (I don’t use the archive feature). I have only seen these messages in my Inbox. Sometimes I first notice them when I am using eM Client, while at other times I first notice them when checking my mail on my iPhone/iPad.

Thanks,
Merg

Hi again, if these messages show up on your other devices is it possible this is a server issue? Can you try to repair the mailbox folder in which these messages are displayed? Right click the mail folder and select Properties > Repair and click on the “Repair” button, eM Client will then re-sync this folder with your server, please check if the issue persists.

Thank you,
Paul

I’m thinking that this might not be a server issue. While I am seeing them mostly on the two accounts that I are IMAP servers for domains that I own, I am also seeing a variation of it on an Exchange server as well.

I’ll give the Repair option a try and will let you know.

• Merg

Okay, I did the Repair option for the Exchange server account (as I had one of the blank messages there) and after the repair was completed, the message was still there.

I’ll let you know if any new blank messages appear.

• Merg

Well, I just had another one show up. I had not moved any emails out of my Inbox during this time, although I had deleted a few that I had received.

It also seems that it is starting off in the eM Client app itself. When I check my mail directly on the server, the blank mail has not shown up there yet as I suppose eM Client hasn’t synced with my mail server yet.

• Merg

Hi again Merg, can you please create some logging data for us for more information about the issue?

If the messages are displayed during the use of the application under one of your account subfolders, please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable Exchange Web Services logging for the problematic Exchange account, 

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    Once the error reoccurs, please go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logs to my email, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,
Paul

I’ve turned on logging for both IMAP servers as well as the Exchange Web Services. When the blank emails happen again, I’ll send the log files off to you.

• Merg

Okay, this is strange. Last night I saw that I had a blank email for one of my accounts. I didn’t have time to grab the log files and send them off to you. This morning I found that the blank email is not there anymore. I double-checked to make sure that I didn’t delete it by accident and it is not in my Trash either.

• Merg

Hi again, I’ve discussed this issue with one of our developers, the [email protected] emails should only be displayed in case the IMAP returns some messages that the application can not parse, for example if there’s a missing ‘From’ address even though this field is required or in case the IMAP server returns an invalid item.

Please keep monitoring this issue and when you manage to log the data submit it to my email for additional information.

Thank you!

The [email protected] emails are the blank ones showing up on the Exchange account. The IMAP servers have the emails with nothng in the From and Subject line and the To field is listed as “undisclosed recipients”.

• Merg

Hi again, please once you get a chance submit the logging data to us, especially for the Exchange account as we’re unsure why this could occur on the Exchange server. Once the message appears and you have logging on, please perform a folder repair on the mailbox you have the message located in and submit the logging data to us afterwards.

Thank you!

P.S. Also if you’re able to export or forward the message to us as attachment (the one from the Exchange account), it would be also great to include the exported message with the issue report.

As soon as a blank message shows up again, I’ll forward it to you as well as submit the log files to you (I currently have them turned on for all 3 of my accounts). Except for the one the other night, it’s been this long now since one has popped up. I still don’t know what happened to the one from the other night as it’s not in my Inbox or Deleted Items.

• Merg

Okay, I had a blank email show up for one of my IMAP accounts. When I performed a repair, it appears to have disappeared. I also had one show up for the Exchange account. That one did not disappear when I performed the repair.

Here’s something interesting though with the logging. I thought I had it turned on so that the next time it happened, I would be able to send the logs. When the blank email for the IMAP account showed up, I went and looked at the Diagnostic tab and saw that logging was not on for any of my accounts. I selected it for the IMAP server for both of those accounts and then clicked on the box for the Exchange logging. When I went to hit OK, the app froze. I had to force it closed. When I re-opened the app, it told me that logging had been going on for over 3 days and warned me about the app slowing down and disk space usage. Once the app re-opened, I went and check and the logging boxes were not checked. I have since gone back in and selected one at a time by hitting OK after each account and it is seeming to hold the check in the diagnostics box now.

Once I have the email logged, where do I find it to email it to you?

I’ll be sending you a copy of the nobody email from the Exchange server to your email as an attachment if you can post your email address for me? (I know I’ve seen it in other threads before, but can’t remember which ones.)

Thanks.

• Merg

Hi, you should be able to submit the logging data to us using the “Send logs” button that is in the advanced settings of eM Client, under Tools > Settings > Advanced, or navigate to your user/AppData/Roaming/eM Client/Logs folder and copy the logs out of this folder.

The behavior you’ve described seems a bit off, if the logging was enabled you should be able to see the checkbox marked for specified accounts. In case the application freezes again on this action, please create an eM Client stack dump file using this tool, http://www.emclient.com/tools/emstackdump.exe and submit the stack dump file to us for more information.

Also please don’t forget to include a reference URL link to this forum topic during data submission so we can match the received data with this issue.

Thank you,

Paul,

What email address should I email the blank messages to? I now have one for one of the IMAP accounts as well as the Exchange one now.

I’ll also send off the Logs as well for the IMAP account.

For further information, while I see the blank email in eM Client, it is not synced yet with the IMAP server and is not appearing there yet, so it is definitely starting at the client level.

• Merg

Well, I can’t send you a copy of the IMAP blank message since after performing a repair it has disappeared. I’ll still get you that log file though.Next time, I’ll export it before doing the repair.

• Merg

Okay, I now have blank emails in both of my IMAP accounts.

@Paul, Can you tell me what email address you want me to email the blank emails?

Nevermind, I just found the post with your email (it was hidden in the “Load Previous Post” link)…

Thanks,
Merg