Blacklist management

I have a pretty huge blacklist as my mailserver doesn’t do a very good job in filtering / spammers are getting smarter as they use valid and proper configured domains which aren’t detected by spam filters.

Somehow I managed to get my own domain added to the blacklist. It took 15 minutes to find the culprit in the blacklist. I cannot search the blacklist contents, I cannot sort the blacklist, I cannot export it in CSV (yes, I know XML export works but that doesn’t serve my purpose). This interface is as if we’re back in the early 90s.

For the developers of emClient: please start using the mail client without an external spam filter and try to battle spam using the blacklist and try to manage the blacklist. You’ll soon notice what needs to be modified.

2 Likes

If you have backlisted a domain, to remove it from the Blacklist, select the message in the Junk folder and by right-click choose Move to Inbox > Move to Inbox and remove blacklisted domain.

I have used that function. It took me 20 minutes to find some culprits as I cannot search the list, cannot order it etc. I just had to go through the list line by line.
I would like to be able to export it, to crunch several domains ending on .lol or .click to just the tld .lol and .click. Being able to just edit the items in the blacklist would also be a good addition.

You don’t need to search the list.

Just select the message in the Junk folder and by right-click choose Move to Inbox > Move to Inbox and remove blacklisted domain .

Yeah, that’s a good approach if you know the message. But in this case a huge lot of messages were missing in my inbox and I just didn’t know what was going on and had to start digging the filter list instead of going through the junk folder - all messages were there indeed. Numerous.

The cause was some spammer seems to have used my email address and my email address got added to the spam list. Of course I could not find the offending message. I also discovered the entire gmail domain had been added to the black list which is not good of course. Individual gmail addresses ok, but not gmail as a whole. A well programmed whitelist would have prevented that but I don’t know about any whitelisting in EMClient.

eM Client has no spam detection ability, so no need for a whitelist for that purpose.

Normally your server moves messages to spam, so check what whitelist option they have.

But if it is being done by eM Client, it is only because you have specified that address or domain should be blacklisted. There is no point in adding it to a backlist and then adding it to a whitelist. Just remove it from the blacklist by right-click on the message in the Junk folder.

I disagree on this matter. I would have liked to add the gmail.com to the whitelist while being able to blacklist certain gmail addresses. This should prevent me from adding a the gmail domain to the blacklist by error.

Alternatively, it would help if the “add domain to blacklist” would mention (part of) the actual domain to be added as now I don’t know if the real (?) originating domain is being added to the black list or the forged one. The messages, especially those of spam messages, contain a lot of originating domains.

1 Like

How about if you are not processing specifically for spam? By way of example, I get a ton of email from gmail dot com that I want to do something with, unless the address is a contact.

How can one achieve this, if not via a rule of the form “if an item comes from domain x, perform action y, unless the address is in my contacts”?

This is not a Blacklist, but a regular Rule, which you can create to move messages from the domain to Junk, but exclude specific ones:

You can’t just say Contacts, you need to specify which Gmail addresses not to move to Junk

Yes, I am aware of this. However, I have hundreds of contacts so that is entirely too cumbersome. Not to mention that it requires yet another instance of curation any time a contact is added who uses gmail. Do you really think that is an acceptable way to manage domains? I do not.

2 Likes

Thanks for the added context. My context would be different: always allow everything from @gmail.com unless a specific email address from @gmail.com is on my blacklist. That’s actually the method as it currently works but I want to prevent adding the entire gmail.com domain to the blacklist by error - it’s all too easy to add an entire domain to the blacklist from an email as the domain isn’t displayed, nor a confirmation dialog is shown.

A solution like including an additional dialog like “Are you sure you want to add the domain @gmail.com” to the blacklist? For invidividual email addresses such a dialog is not necessary.

The other way around: just whitelisting all email addresses I want to get mail from does not work. I get tons of emails from gmail accounts of people who aren’t even in my contact list. I want to allow everyone to email me until they send me garbage. It’s impossible for me to decide upfront from whom I want to receive email.

1 Like

I would have thought this to be all too obvious. Unfortunately the prevailing assumption appears to be that any functionality that might foreseeably be usable in a spam-reduction context is unnecessary because eM Client does not have specific spam handling inbuilt. This is wrong-headed to begin with, as email providers do NOT have perfect control over spam, obviously.

To he honest I fail to see why this oft-requested functionality is dismissed out of hand (at least by “Leader” Gary); the addition of ONE additional “except” parameter in rule creation (“perform action x for addresses from domain.tld except if in Contacts”) would suffice, in the blacklist version of this scenario.

I am sorry but we don’t have that option. You will need to specify which contacts you want to exclude.

We understand, hence the request to add this.
Also, you phrase that as “we”, but your profile does not indicate your position with the eM Client developers. Are you a developer of this product, or in some other way affiliated with the product?

1 Like

Further, I’d question whether eM Client has no spam detection, given that the uneditable rule created by the software is named “Spam Filter”, as well as this, from the web documentation for ver. 9.2:

“One of the most important and powerful tools which will help you organize and manage your Emails is the use of Rules . Rules are a set of logical conditions acting as filters; with Rule Based Filtering you can construct rules containing various conditions to separate and categorize all your incoming Emails according to their origins, subjects and time stamp; and apply different actions to each incoming Email accordingly, such as blocking spam mails or moving them to different locations.” (emphasis mine)

1 Like

It is just Rule that moves messages that have been marked as spam by the server, to the Junk folder for POP3 accounts only. The spam detection is done by the server, not eM Client.

I too have managed to

1. Accidentally add one of my own email addresses to the blacklist - it is an email that comes from a web contact form on our own website, the contact form is proected by a CAPTCHA but that seems to have been cracked, and we’re suddenly getting loads of spam though it, and I hit my “Move to junk” button on one of them.
  2. Looked at the Rules / Blacklist UI in dismay, as there is apparently no way of searching, filtering, sorting, or exporting it.
  3. Looked at the Rules.dat data file structure in HORROR - seriously, this is how you store a list of blacklisted email addresses? As a single massive STRING?
  4. Not being willing to scroll down 1,000s of blacklisted emails to check where the the incorrectly added one was, resorted to moving the email back into the junk folder so that I could click the “move to inbox and remove blacklist” button.

Adding a “sort” and “sort by domain name” to the blacklist form should be easy.
Adding a “don’t let be blacklist the following domains [gmail.com, outlook.com] although I CAN still blacklist individual addresses in these domains” function should be easy.
Changing the insane way you store the blacklisted emails is obviously a lot more work, but must be done. The rule should be "blacklist emails matching the “blacklistemails” and “blacklistdomains” database tables, not “store a massive long string of emails embedded in the actual code”.

1 Like