Better handling of attachments and images for creators

I get a lot of quite large attachments. Emclient is unusable whilst they are downloading, and downloading is slow. I can set it to download for offline, but I presume this will include every attachment and bloat my email database.

Suggest:

1. allow download/save to happen in the background
  2. auto-remove downloaded attachments from the database after a set period

Incoming mail: Embedded images are displayed at 1:1 pixel size. Please shrink to fit so we can see what they hell they are:)

There are some aspects of images that were better in my first ever email client - outlook express circa 1997.

1. allow download/save to happen in the background

Yes as you said, you can speed up the process of opening attachments and inline pictures, by setting eM Client to download messages including attachments for offline use. As you said the mail database will grow in size as a result but it will speed up the process. Many forum users enable that option.

To download messages for offline use using eg: eM Client for Windows & an eg: IMAP acct, click “Menu / Accounts” and then “click on your email account on the left” and finally “click the IMAP Tab” along the top". Then you will see the “Sync Options” check boxes at the bottom to download messages for offline use etc. Tick both boxes.

See Example IMAP Gmail account in eM Client below to enable downloading messages offline.

Incoming mail: Embedded images are displayed at 1:1 pixel size. Please shrink to fit so we can see what they hell they are:)

You can “right click” on the “image inline” and at the bottom you will see a “Zoom” menu option with eg: Original or + Increase or - decrease sizes till you get what you want.

Note: There is also a thread conversation on scaling inline images you might want to see.

https://forum.emclient.com/t/received-inline-mail-images-not-scaled-down/79803

Auto-remove downloaded attachments from the database after a set period.

That wouldn’t be good for alot of users to automatically remove attachments after a set period from messages (including myself), so I guess all depends on how many others users would also want that option as to to if eM Client then might implement that in Settings.

1 Like

yep so for folks who don’t want to download everything (including me)
Downloading in the background is a good alternative.