Background App Refresh - iOS

Hi All,

First of all, I’m loving the app so far. Ive just got a question about the apps behavior in the background.

The notifications are working perfectly, but when I open the app the inbox state is as it was when the app was last closed. It then needs to complete a send/receive to show me the latest emails, including whatever I may have since received via notification.

I believe the ‘Background App Refresh’ toggle in iOS is what would potentially allow Emclient to periodically stay up to date while the app is closed. Is this something that is being planned for development?

Thanks

The notifications are working perfectly, but when I open the app the inbox state is as it was when the app was last closed. It then needs to complete a send/receive to show me the latest emails, including whatever I may have since received via notification.

That is by design “so the app always gets email” due to the constraints of iOS & Android.

See the eM Client blog on how email is received in the app once you get the mail notification.

How is it the Outlook email application on iOS is able to do this then?

@pharriss Outlook might be able to do this because they store your account username and password information on their servers, and then their servers access your email to send updates to the Outlook application. Basically Outlook uses Microsoft servers as a proxy to monitor your email account and then send changes through their own methods to their client. Please see: Outlook as data collection and targeted ads service | eM Client

I personally don’t think its related to the notification system at all. I understand how the notifications work separately via Firebase.

iOS has a background refresh option that would let the Em Client app run a send/receive periodically, so when you next open the app its somewhat up to date. This is unrelated to notifications.

Many apps utilise the option which is why you can open Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Outlook etc etc and they are already preloaded with new data.