Apple Silicon version

Any update on an Apple Silicon version of eMClient? Is it something being worked on? Any idea of timeline if so?

Thank you.

No comments? No indication of timeline? Is this even being worked on? Burying heads in sand rarely works. The whole of Apple’s computer product line will be Apple Silicon in the not too distant future . . .

Maybe you could write to eM Client rather than asking your fellow users, as I have yet to meet an eM Client user who knew what the company had planned for the future.

OK, I’ll do that and post back to tell you all what they say. I’m very surprised eM Client doesn’t read the forum posts! I know I would if there were a forum about a piece of software I had anything to do with! To ignore such things smacks of arrogance!

1 Like

If eM Client Support commented on every question and issue posted, why would anyone purchase a license when they could get it here for free?

But the company do monitor the forum; they just seldom comment. It is not arrogance, but rather a condition accepted when registering a license and installing the application.

The official method of contact is through the support ticket system, and that is for Pro License users only.

It’s a chicken and egg situation. I would happily pay were it available in an Apple Silicon version.

I emailed as @Gary suggested and received a reply.

"The latest version available in our Release history Release History | eM Client should fully support Apple Silicon chips already. Did you encounter any problems with eM Client? Let me know please. "

Basically completely ignoring my question and telling me the current Intel version works on an M1 Mac. I have yet to find an Intel app which doesn’t, but is this good enough? Using that analogy why not produce a Windows version only and get it running on Linux and Mac using Wine?

So it’s back to an ARM email client until emClient releases an Apple Silicon version.

Does that mean you cannot install the Mac version of eM Client on the Mac OS?

Sorry for my ignorance but I am not a Mac user and don’t understand the peculiarities of their OS.

Apple is transitioning macOS to ARM. It has already released three machines - two laptops and a MacMini - which use its own silicon, an in-house ARM processor. Over the course of the this year all Macs will be ARM machines. There is a way of running older Intel apps using a technology called Rosetta, but clearly Apple ARM users would prefer native apps. Currently all apps which come with a new Mac are ARM as well as apps like Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Brave, Apple Mail, Airmail, MS Office and so on. Clearly if you are responsible for an app which runs on macOS you will need to transition it to a Universal app which contains versions for Intel and Apple Silicon (ARM). While intel apps run fine it’s not the same as having a native app.

emClient works as it should on Apple Silicon, scrolling is a little jerky, but it’s one of the few apps I run which is designed for the older architecture.

Thanks Phillip.

So it does work, but has some issues. Did you let eM Client Support know about the scrolling?

You miss the point. A developer cannot just produce a ‘compatible’ application. Would you be happy running apps which are effectively emulated on your architecture when there are alternatives which run in native mode? I have any number of native ARM apps from both one-man bands and from large developers. It is absolutely clear that the emClient developers will have to transition to a Universal app for macOS. Absolutely no doubt about that, unless they plan to drop support for macOS altogether. All I’m asking is whether they have already engaged in this process and if they have any idea of a timeline. There are native ARM alternatives to emClient so it would be easy to jump ship. emClient does not really have a USP on the Mac platform.

If you disagree with Support’s answer that eM Client is already fully supported on Apple Silicon chips, then that is something you need to discuss with them. We are all just users on this user supported forum, so there is nothing we can do.

But as you have not purchased a license, you have nothing to lose by switching to an application that does support your needs.

You really don’t get it, do you. They will have to release a native version sooner or later, I’m just asking about their plans. The response that it works fine doesn’t cut the mustard. Would you be happy running a Windows 3.1 app on Windows 10 because the developer says ‘it works’? Would you not at least ask about a more compatible version?

You really don’t get it, do you? As I said, please take it up with Support if you disagree with their comment. It was them who told you it is fully supported, not me.

Get real! It’s not about ‘disagreeing’ with support. You’re making such a big thing of it and displaying your ignorance in the process.You really don’t understand. End of discussion.

It is you who is making such a big deal about it because you won’t accept what Support told you. They said that eM Client is fully supported on Apple Silicon but you disagree.

And now you are attacking me because of your disagreement with eM Client. Get real!!

@gary is so dogmatic. Support seems happy to say running emClient in emulation mode is good enough. It may be supported but it’s still an Intel app emulated to run on ARM hardware. All I want to know is whether the developers have any intention of releasing a native Apple ARM version.

Oh, that is not what you quoted earlier. That is something different then?

That is something you will need to ask them.

it’s not something different. They support the currently available product for macOS, which is the Intel version. To run on the latest M1 Macs it has to run in emulation mode - so by saying it is supported, they are fine with it not running natively. I have contacted them several times. TBH I Don’t know why you keep pushing your nose in!

If you didn’t want comments from other users, you shouldn’t have asked your questions on a user supported forum.