Android sync

So it looks like there will be no direct sync with Android? I don’t know why I would use third party services (and trust them with my data). Too bad, it works elsewhere.

There is a sync with your Android apps.

That is done through the server.

Setup the same email/calendar/contact account in eM Client as you have on the Android device, and they will sync.

eM Client ist just a Mail/Calendar-Client like Outlook or AquaMail on Android. The Exchange/IMAP-server is the point of truth, where the original data lives. If you connect a Client-SW like em Client against such an server, you can see all locally fetched data as cached data. This is, of couse, valid for online accounts, NOT for local folders.

You can use any client software to connect with your server, no matter on which platform. At the same time. You can use Outlook side by side with eM Client on the same or different devices at the same time on the same accounts. Each client should reflect the state of the server and therefore the state of each other. Ideally, a loss of local data should not lead to a loss of data in general. the data is safely stored on the server and in its backups.

BUT: there are mail clients, like Spark, that require their own server (at the provider of the mail client) for some non-standard features. And for this, their servers need access to “your” server and thus your login data. this should be problematic, at least in connection with your employer’s servers.

1 Like

Oh, I need to be more specific about local data loss: My statement is correct with regard to data loss due to defective disk and similar.

However, it is important to know that almost everything you do in your client, here e.g. eM Client, is synchronised to the server. Deleting, moving, marking, tagging mails… all this is synchronised to the server and from there to the other connected clients.

In this context: strange effects can occur if rules run on several clients. When rules are applied to the same mails on different clients, different things can happen because it is never clear which client executes its rule first. For example, the first client may have already started processing the rule when the second client executes a rule. If there are mails that are already being processed by the rule of the first client, the mails in question could already have a different status (deleted, moved, tagged, flagged, …). This could lead to errors in the second client.

Rules of one client can be particularly nasty if their execution triggers a rule on another client. And that client’s rule then triggers the rule of the first client… And then it starts all over again.

In other words: It is best to have rules executed on the server. And if it is to be client-side, because Exchange simply has a lousy rule system, then it is best to run it only on one client.

Otherwise, smart folders are a good way to structure mails.

When rules are applied to the same mails on different clients, different things can happen because it is never clear which client executes its rule first.

Yes agree you are best (not setting up rules on all different IMAP devices) accessing the same account other than the one main computer or you will more than likely have issues.

I would setup any rules on eM Client and leave all the other PC or Mac mail clients or Mob mail clients with no rules default and should then be fine.

Hello

I’m using a version 9 client on a Windows 10 PC.

I’m able to connect my gmail account without any problems, an exchange account too

I was just pleased to discover that the emclient app is available on Android

I manage to set up the gmail account without any problems.

Where I’m asking for your enlightenment is for the addition of an exchange account. Everything is going well until the moment of validation where I don’t know why but the application asks me the password all the time.

Thank you for your help