Android sync

Coming back  this issue…
I must agree with my previous speakers,  NO mobile syn NO installation.
I am using Outlook with MyPhoneExplorer, it syncs calender,tasks and even the notes from Outlook to the mobile and vice versa - over local WLAN, fast, easy, reliable. Even multiple devices possible.
Tried the EmClient: not possible, MyPhoneExplorer does not recognize EmClient.

Is there a solution in sight ??

Ciao
Mike

Hello Mike, eM Client supports most of the major synchronisation services, such as Exchange, CalDAV, CardDAV or IMAP which allows you to synchronise your items with your mail/contacts and calendar servers - using these services you no longer need a utility that will allow you to synchronise your items with the phone, all you should need to do is to setup the account in an email/calendar or contacts client on your phone and quickly sync your items from the server to your phone.

Regards,

just adding my voice here as a request for a way to synchronise emclient calendar, contacts, notes and tasks with Android. This is stopping me from purchasing.

I’m using Outlook and its  calendar, contacts, notes and tasks CAN be synched to Android using the thirdparty app: MyphoneExplorer.

I suspect it would be very easy to integrate MyPhoneExplorer with emclient - if you two companies would just talk to each other.

See here:
https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic…

MyPhoneExplorer are willing to add emclient sync to their product but it seems emclient didn’t reply to their emails.

Note that although there are ‘cloud’ solutions such as google calendar etc, some of us prefer not to have all our data in the cloud.

Thanks

Is anyone using “BlueMail” on Android in tandem with eM Client?

are you asking whether you can synchronise between the two? doesn’t look like it.

If BlueMail is connected to the same email account as eM Client via IMAP, then the two will be synced.

well yes… but that applies to any two email clients. The question I assumed was whether they can be synced directly as this is what this whole thread is about, and more specifically syncing calendars, contacts, notes etc rather than email. Hence my answer

The original question was “Will eM Client sync with an Android phone?” The answer is yes.

In Paul’s reply above he does conclude the discussion by saying that these type of utilities are no longer required to sync devices.

In more detail, eM Client does not require any third party applications to do that. So all of eM Client - calendar, contacts, tasks, and of course emails - will sync between the two. BTW, there are no notes in eM Client. The technology has moved on since MyPhoneExplorer was in use. I guess it may still have some use as a backup utility, but usually a phone has it’s own app for that anyway. And a sync utility like that is no longer practical for this purpose because the two devices have to be in close proximity, limited either by the length of the cable or the Bluetooth signal. It is also not a real-time sync, even when connected. And when you are away from your PC the data is no longer synced, so anything new you enter in your phone will be lost if the device fails. What is also more common now is for a user to have more than two devices, so a PC, a phone and a tablet, or two PCs and a phone. An application like the one you suggest is no longer a practical solution.

well it’s very practical for me and it is what I use. I have no desire for my data to go through the cloud.  I use outlook and MyPhoneExplorer and it works very well for me . I sync contacts, calendar, notes, tasks and files. MyPhoneExplorer has a very good file sysnc option whereby you can specify wildcards, whether files should be deleted after being synced, which direction to sync etc.

I have no problem with my phone having to be in close proximity to the PC - thats where it sits all day as I work on the PC (and the sync is through wifi so no real distance issues at home), and I can’t see the need to sync more than once a day.
If it doesn’t work for you - fine, but no need to assume that it is then of no use to anyone.

My original reason for joining this conversation was to add my voice for emClient being able to be synced using MyPhoneExplorer as I would prefer to use emClient rather than Outlook.
It is not actually something that the people at emClient have to write - all they need to do is communicate with the people at MyPhoneExplorer who by their own admission were happy to look at adding emClient as a sync option to MyPhoneExplorer, but it seems the people at emClient weren’t interested.

Hey, if you are happy with older tech, and it works for you, that is just great.

But unfortunately eM Client only offers syncing through online accounts. I guess this is following the direction technology is taking. Most people want real-time syncing between their three devices, they don’t want to have to wait till they get home to have their phone contacts synced with their tablet.

If you feel that there is not sufficient security with your email provider to do this, you might consider changing to one that offers something more. Many free services now offer OAuth or two-factor authentication. You might want to steer away from those that have been hacked in the past few years, but whatever you do, your email will always have to pass through the cloud. There is no getting by that.

1 Like

yes correct, my email will always have to pass through the cloud, but not my contacts, calendar, notes etc which I want to keep local and sync local.

Then it appears that eM Client is not for you. :frowning:

yes which is eM Client’s loss as I would have bought the pro version

There are third-party direct sync Android apps that link with MS Outlook. However I wish emClient will work on direct sync as not everyone wants their data to go all over the cloud, especially with the insecurity of the Net. Connectivity is the key nowadays. Any app that doesn’t connect with other market leaders are sure to remain niche players. Thanks

1 Like

which third-party direct sync app do you use?

Hi PY,

You are correct - connectivity is the key. Users want real-time data shared across all their devices, and they want to share data with others as well. And technology has kept up with that demand very well. Syncing without using the cloud has become a niche market where real-time syncing over the Internet without the need for additional software has become the norm.

But I also understand NW’s requirements; he does not need real-time syncing and wants to avoid online data. Fortunately for him there are third-party apps available and other email clients to use it on. But I also think that he is among the decreasing minority.

Providers have done a lot of work to ensure that transmitted and online stored data is secure. As I mentioned to NW, if you feel your provider is insecure, it might be the time to look elsewhere.

I asked a simple question and I am amazed at the scope of response that it has generated, some of which I am still trying to decipher!  Thank you both for the enlightening debate.  NW, I have to say that I do concur with your concerns about sharing personal information through the cloud and feel even more vidicated in light of the comments by George Soros as reported from Davos yesterday - “Facebook and Google a menace to society”

I note this discussion dates back 6 years…

So is there a solution yet? Have the powers that be at EMC spoken to MyPhoneExplorer yet?

Can I support the appeal of others above for OFFLINE SYNC functionality in EMClient?!

Data protection laws in my jurisdiction make it ESSENTIAL that I do not place my customer’s data online, anywhere, and that it resides ONLY on my LAN.  I will not compromise my customer’s data by placing it on any third party server, be that owned by Google or anyone else.

I’m hoping that EMC will complete their otherwise excellent software by enabling this remaining key aspect, as I would dearly like to stop using MS Outlook because of increasing data security concerns.

I honestly don’t see eM Client Inc. re-developing for a niche application like this that has maybe three world-wide eM Client users.

Besides, applications like MyPhoneExplorer are obsolete. Rather than a manual sync option, or where the devices need to be in close proximity, IMAP/Exchange and services like CalDAV, CardDAV, AirSync, EWS etc make it possible for real-time syncing irrespective of location and number of devices. 

But there is a solution for semi-mobile devices that you may use in your office. Say you want to keep your eM Client contact data synced with a tablet you use in the warehouse. That is easily done by installing a mail/calendar/contact server on your LAN. There are servers that run on a NAS, so nothing special as far as hardware is required. You can even run a server on your desktop computer that both eM Client and the tablet are syncing to. Just a thought that will use the existing eM Client application and sync to other devices, but keep the data local.

I am thinking though, that having your customer data on your phone will be a breach of your data protection laws, because that is taking the data off of the LAN. Your phone just needs to be lost or cloned while you are out and about, and all that data is out there. 

In reference to your last paragraph I think from a legal point of view, KNOWINGLY using a third party to sync data (containing personal data) would, if tested in court, be treated very differently from that same data being accessed by a third party without consent; but you make a very fair point.  In the case of my mobile devices (Huawei) and all other major global brands, keeping anything secure is a forlorn hope!  Please don’t mention Ts and Cs! :smiley: