Allow installing Windows app per-user rather than only per-machine (for all users)

Per the brief discussion here, the eM Client application for Windows can only be installed for all users, which requires admin privileges. There are various reasons to only want it installed for an individual user:

• You want a standard user to be able to install/update the app without requiring elevated privileges
  • You simply don’t want everyone on the computer to use the app
  • ??? other scenarios I haven’t thought of

Other applications offer options (for example, Notepad++ and WinMerge) that don’t require elevated permissions to install. Not saying those are anything like eM Client – just handy example. Addressing this feature request would likely require (1) an installer that allows the user to choose whether to install for all users or just the current user, (2) a separate installer specifically for the current user (the approach Notepad++ uses) or (3) a zip file that can be extracted containing everything from the application directory (the approach used by WinMerge).

Microsoft provides more detailed information about specifying the context in the Windows Installer:

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the eM Client application can be moved out of the standard installation directory after it’s been installed

You can only charge where the “database storage folder is located” via “Menu / Settings / General / Storage” after install, but not the program installation which has to stay in the default “C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client” folder.

I stand corrected and will update my request. Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

Please, this will be very helpful for people without admin rights.