Possible to install app for just one user (Win10)?

Is it possible to install the eM Client application for a single user in Windows 10 (i.e., in the individual user’s AppData/Local directory rather than for all users in Program Files)? In our organization, no one except IT has admin accounts and so installing/updating software generally requires their assistance. They’ve got no problem installing stuff (like eM Client) that’s not specifically disallowed, but it’s a pain to have to schedule time with them not just for the initial installation but then for any subsequent updates. I’m able to avoid this with certain applications, including Notepad++ and WinMerge, by simply installing them just for my own user, with no admin rights needed. This is perfectly fine with the organization; they just won’t give regular schmoes admin privileges. I’d love to use eM Client, but it’s honestly not worth the hassle if I have to get IT involved. Wondering if there’s a way to do this that I don’t know about.

It installs like that now. The user data is in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client by default.

That’s where the user’s data lives, yes. That’s how almost all apps work for user data. But the application doesn’t get installed in the individual user’s local application directory (e.g., C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Programs) but rather in the “all users” app location (e.g., C:\Program Files), which requires elevated privileges to modify. If there were an option to install it in the former location, admin privileges wouldn’t be required for installation or updates.

The application is installed for all users, so in C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client. You can’t change that, sorry.

I misread your question. You are going to have to have IT do it for you on your work computer.

There may be another option though if it is allowed. You could bring a laptop to work and have IT connect it to a guest wireless network that keeps you out of network folders and such, but allows Internet.

That’s what I figured. What a shame.

Nah, I’ll just open the web client in a browser as usual. Wanted to give eM Client a try after they implemented one of my suggestions (relative dates in search folders) in v9, but it’s not worth going through IT for personal email I only check a couple times a day (and also receive on my phone).

Thanks for the replies, guys.

FWIW, I created a feature request for this at the link below.

1 Like