After deleting an open email, can I choose what email I see next?

Ok, Jan. I’ve re-posted this as an idea.

here is link for other users to that topic https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to…

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Let us choose whether we see the next or the previous message after deleting an e….

As the previous thread with this title was closed for further comments and since I have some comments to make on the subject, I am opening a new one.

In the previous thread where I asked if we could have a facility to choose whether to move to the next or previous message after deleting an email, Paul replied:

When viewing email in it’s own window after moving the message or deleting it,
etc. next message will be shown.

Next message will be chosen based on your
sort order so if you’re using the newest on top, an older message will be shown.
If you’re using oldest on top, newer message will be shown.

and then marked the thread as ‘implemented’.

Unfortunately, this is not quite what I was asking. I do not want to change the sort order to use the oldest messages on top, why would I want to see old messages first. When I open my email client, I prefer to see the new messages first, the ones I have to deal with, not old messages.

So, again, here is my request. It would be good to have an option to choose whether to move to the next or to the previous message when deleting an email, no matter what the sort order is.

The previous thread can be found at https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/after_deleting_an_open_email_if_we_want_another_message_t…

I am hoping that em client will choose to respond constructively and not simply close or delete this entry. As mentioned in my previous message, the software is pretty good for its price, but lacking a few essential features.

Thank you we’ll consider improving this for future releases, however changing the sort order while you go through your email will allow you to achieve the exact same thing, when you’re finished you can just click on the sort order again  and you’ll be able to see new messages on top again.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I can change the sort order whenever I need to delete an email, but that is not really the most efficient way to work.

A software should facilitate the way a user works, not force a user to adopt the ways the developers think should apply.

You have a good piece of software here and it could easily be excellent if a few of the suggestions in this community board were implemented.

Hi Paul,

I agree. Outlook and various other email clients have this option.

I look forward to this simple change being made soon.

Many thanks.

Pascal, you have perfectyl summed up the reason why I started this thread. Let’s help Paul understand why this has not been resolved.
Paul, we’d like the sort order so that the latest email is top of the list. We don’t want to have to change this. When we delete an open email we would like the option to have the one ABOVE it in the list open automatically and keep going until we reach the most recent email. I don’t know why you closed the thread, the issue is certainly NOT resolved but I’m sure the tech. staff have the ability to do it. We all wait eagerly for the next update to include this change - it’s been about 2 years since I first raised this.

I notice this topic hasn’t been posted about in several months.  I just installed emclient today and am very impressed with it so far.  That said, I agree that the ability to choose what to do after an email is deleted or moved (close window, open next, open previous) would really be nice.

Can anyone confirm if this feature had definitely been added to the development path for the software?

Hi Jim, as I’ve suggested here on the forum recently, you can adjust the orientation in which messages are sorted on your list, when viewing messages in a separate window, after deleting the message, eM Client will jump to the next message on the list based on your sort order.

The direction is set, however you can adjust the sorting order to have eM Client to jump to an older or newer message based on sorting by oldest/newest.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul. Yes, we understand this - but we don’t want to have to change the sort order to make this work and then change it back again. We would rather the direction wasn’t set but could move up or down. Is there any chance that this could happen in a future release?

Hi again, as I suggested previously this is not on our current roadmap to future update, but all feature requests are revisited for consideration with new releases, but I’m unfortunately unable to confirm this feature for you guys.

Sorry, hope you can manage to use the current settings.

Regards,
Paul

I’ve been reviewing this thread, started over 2 years (and one major release) ago.  Several people have stated in strong terms how important this feature is to them.  Time and time again you folks have suggested reversing the sort order, and time and time again we have replied that that wasn’t a satisfactory solution. Over a year ago Peter Stern posted this as a feature request.  Now you say it’s not even on your roadmap.  Apparently you are NOT HEARING US.

Thanks for your support, Peter. I think that as long as there is a workaround for it - no matter how awkward that is - it simply isn’t a priority for them. It’s the little things like this that change a product from ‘Good’ into ‘Great’. Perhaps, one day, eM Client will realise this. Until then, after 2 years, I think I might give up on this one.

Hi,

I’m really glad this thread has jumped back into life and I hope people keep commenting on this. I currently use the free version of emClient and have been very happy with it and keep thinking I should upgrade to the Pro version, not because it has any features I would like, but just because it seems the right thing to do.

Unfortunately until such a basic piece of functionality as this is ‘fixed’ (as I see it), I cannot justify purchasing something that doesn’t work as I would like it.

Please, please, please implement it, especially it must be such as trivial piece of work.

Many thanks,
Simon

I know this isn’t exactly the same as OP, but it falls in to the same general concept: I would like to be able to choose to not select any other email when I delete one (I can’t see a way to do it).

If I could delete emails without it selecting another then I’d actually consider purchasing eM Client (I’m a “home” user, but I have quite a few accounts for various reasons).

It’s a shame. eM Client looks really good besides this issue of lack of choice when deleting mails (well that and clicking the read/unread icon by emails doesn’t toggle the state of the email between read/unread).

Hello, this is not possible in the main view of eM Client, as the focus will automatically switch to the next message, but using the extended view - by opening the message in a separate window - you can select not to display any other messages after deleting by enabling the option in application settings.

Navigate to Tools > Settings > Mail > Read and enable the option “Close original message window after deleting the message”.

Hope this helps,