Won't connect with server

Sporadically i get the message ‘An attempt to connect to (my email addy) failed.’ The issue seems to be IMAP Server not responding. I click the ‘fix’ each time, but it’s not a permanent fix. Now it just disconnects from server. Mail comes in on my tablet but not to pc via em client.

Hello Dee, unfortunately not quite sure what error is being thrown, can you please make a screenshot of the error and switch to the log tab when i occurs? Copy the content of the log and submit it to us here on the forum along with the screenshot of the error.

What mail service are you using with eM Client? Are you using any security software on your computer that may have disabled the application’s ability to connect to the server? What version of eM Client are you currently using on your computer, can you please check the exact release number in Help > About?

Thank you,

I hope I have the info you need.  I’ve seen other screen shots, but I’m having serious trouble getting one to copy here.  The message  says:

[email protected]: Connecting to

[email protected] failed

[IMAP]  An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed.

This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect

settings.  Do you want to check the settings?

I am using Bellsouth.net which comes through fine, but Gmail is the problem.

I run Kaspersky protection software.

eM Client version is 6.0.22344.0

Here’s the log

7:41:58 AM Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability

7:41:58 AM Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability

7:41:58 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/

7:41:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:41:58 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connecting: To pirate10

7:41:59 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:41:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connected: To pirate10

7:42:00 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Downloading messages: From pirate10

7:42:00 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:42:00 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: From pirate10

7:42:00 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: Done

7:42:00 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’

7:42:01 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:42:01 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:42:01 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’

7:42:01 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/[email protected]/’

7:42:31 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connecting: To pirate10

7:42:31 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:42:32 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:42:32 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’

7:42:32 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connected: To pirate10

7:42:33 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Downloading messages: From pirate10

7:42:33 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: From pirate10

7:42:33 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: Done

7:42:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Uploading messages: Done

7:42:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 74.125.21.109:143

7:42:40 AM    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:42:40 AM    — End of inner exception stack trace —

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

7:42:40 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

7:46:58 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connecting: To pirate10

7:46:58 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Uploading messages: To folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail

7:46:58 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/

7:46:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:46:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:46:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’

7:46:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connected: To pirate10

7:46:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Downloading messages: From pirate10

7:46:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: From pirate10

7:46:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: Done

7:47:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 64.233.177.109:143

7:47:40 AM    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:47:40 AM    — End of inner exception stack trace —

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

7:47:40 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

7:47:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Uploading messages: Done

7:51:58 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connecting: To pirate10

7:51:58 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Uploading messages: To folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail

7:51:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:51:58 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/

7:51:58 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder list

7:51:59 AM [email protected][GData]  Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’

7:51:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Connected: To pirate10

7:51:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Downloading messages: From pirate10

7:51:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: From pirate10

7:51:59 AM pirate10 [POP3]  Disconnected: Done

7:52:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  Uploading messages: Done

7:52:40 AM [email protected][IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 74.125.21.109:143

7:52:40 AM    at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient…ctor(String hostname, Int32 port)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9()

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:52:40 AM    — End of inner exception stack trace —

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)

7:52:40 AM    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Hello, can you please try to temporarily disable these security elements and check if the issue persists? It seems like the connection is being blocked by an external element based on this error:

7:47:40 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 64.233.177.109:143

Please make sure eM Client is able to access your mail server in order to fetch new items and that no other application is blocking the connection.

Regards,

To what security elements are you referring?  Kaspersky?  I am a total idiot on computer tech/terms; patience please.

Yes. Any security software you might have installed and that could be blocking the connection.

Regards,

I exited Kaspersky, started eM Client and hit send/receive.  Kaspersky is the only security program that i know I have running other than the default windows defender. I don’t always get the error window.  In the lower left, I can see status which shows connecting/synching/disconnecting and then failure to connect with server.  The bellsouth mail is coming thru but not gmai.

Hello again, unfortunately the connection is being blocked - this is clear from the logging data you’ve submitted above. Navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP logging for more information, but I’m afraid this is not an application issue.

Enable logging, save the settings and replicate the issue. Once the issue reoccurs and the error is thrown, please restart the application and go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logging data to us for more information using the “send logs” button.

Please send the logs to my work mail [email protected] with a  reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,