wildcard in rules

wilcards like * ? don’t work in rules ?!! wtf … spam use sub domain, and I’m enough adding every subdomains, changing every day, to my spam filter

You can use the Rule option with words found in the header. So if you want to find emails originating from abc.com domain and all it’s subdomains, you could use From: abc.com

How is that related to this issue of using wild cards ?

This is the wildcard. The option to find words in the header will find any occurrence of abc.com in the From: field. So any email address from the domain or subdomain containing abc.com will be returned.

I don’t know how else to explain wildcard. Sorry.

Maybe if I put it another way and say that the result is the same as using wildcards.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected] etc etc. It is not the sub domains, it is the multiple names that emails are from. I don’t think your suggestion using the “From: abc.com” would find them.

Also, to block all emails from a country, such as .ra

Yes, From: abc.com will find all of those three addresses. It searches the From: field for any occurrence of abc.com, whether it is the beginning, middle or end of the address.

It is exactly like using a wildcard *abc.com*

To block all emails from a country, use From: .ra In that instance it is necessary to include the dot, otherwise any occurrences of ra in an address will be returned. Like oracle.com

Of course when you get down to really small groups of letters like .ra , you could end up with lots of false hits, because you will get addresses like [email protected].

Did you test this ? as I just did, and it doesn’t seem to work. I have some twitter emails in my inbox, and so I created a rule and set as follows:
After message has been received
with ‘From: twitter.com’ found in subject

move to test
And then ran the rule and it didn’t do anything.

Sorry, hold on that, just saw my rule was wrong.

With words found in the header , not subject.

If you want to do the same with subject contents, you need to use Subject: twitter.com. But actually with subject you can just use normal Rule with words found in subject.

Thanks, that works. 

:slight_smile: