Where are distribution lists stored? How to edit an existing list?

How do I edit an existing distribution list. I was able to create one but where are they stored? I an email an existing distribution list by typing the name of it on the TO: line but, there seems to be no other way to ever see the list again to edit it or add to it or delete it.

Hi, distribution list should be saved in the contacts folder from which you were creating the distribution lists, it might be a bit confusing they look just as another contact.
Please try looking for the distribution list between all your contacts, if you find it, you should be able to double click it and then add or remove the addresses.

Thank you, hope it helps,
Paul.

If my contacts are all stored in Google (which they are), can my distribution list also be stored there? I want to be able to send emails to a list from two (or more) different PC’s.

I just tried it and, while the Dist list name can be seen across 2 PCs, the contents are blank on the second one. So, that fails!

Alan

Hi Alan, unfortunately Gmail doesn’t support distribution lists and uses labels/groups instead of distribution lists, so they are synchronized silently with the server and are only shared across devices supporting distribution lists.

Thank you,
Paul

Paul, Thanks for the quick answer. Labels/Groups doesn’t really do it for me as you cannot send to a Group - you have to open the group and select all the people in there.

What did you mean by " synchronized silently with the server and are only shared across devices supporting distribution lists."? IS this something that EM Client does? If so, it doesn’t work. The Dist list NAME is shared, but on another PC using EM Client, the dist list is empty. Is this a bug or is it how it’s supposed to work?

Alan

Hi again Alan, sorry my mistake, unfortunately gmail drops the content of the distribution lists as it does not support the option. It only sees the distribution list as another contact and does not allow you to send the information over the server.

However the distribution list is silently kept in your current instance allowing you to use the list on your computer without losing it’s content, but you have to re-create the list on other devices in order to use them.

Thank you,
Paul

Ok - at least I know. I thought you might had had some magic in EM Client :slight_smile:
This is the one big thing stopping me from buying 5 or 6 licenses. Oh well, lets see what I can come up with myself.

Cheers

Alan

This is unfortunately due to lack of the support on Gmail for this, hopefully we’ll be able to improve this with future releases of eM Client.

Hope you can use the current settings,
Paul

Yes, it’s very interesting because when you look at the distribution list you’ve created from the Gmail web client, there is data in there - but weird looking. So, I would guess you COULD do something with EM Client to propogate the contents and “hide” that from the Gmail server. If you want any beta testers, just ask.

Alan