what to do when reinstalling WINDOWS or when choosing a new WINDOWS ACCOUNT

SIMPLY HELPING USERS SETTING UP A NEW INSTALL OF EMCLIENT AND INTERGRATING OLD DATA WITHOUT HICKUPS LIKE :
NOT APPLYING GROUPS OR SUB-FOLDERS WHICH THROWS ALL CONTACTS OR CALANDER-ITEMS ON 1 HEAP !!

IT IS DEMEANING AND CREATES HATE TO NOT SEE THIS HUGE PROBLEM !!!

SO COULD THIS IDEA PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE DEVELOPED INTO A MENU-ITEM OR PROGRAM-CODE , PLEASE ???

I BEG YOU NOT TO IGNORE THIS IDEA !!

The simplest and most reliable method is to backup eM Client, then restore it after your Windows install. That way you get an EXACT copy of eM Client. Everything will be there, including Rules, categories, all your settings and accounts, local folders, signatures - EVERYTHING.

There are two ways you can do that: using the built-in backup/restore facility, or copying the database directory. Either method will work.

If you need further help, just say. :slight_smile:

THANX GARY, 

I SAW THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE A SIMPLE SETTING I MADE WHEN I INTERGRATE MY OUTLOOK-ACCOUNT
IN MY OLD DATABASE I HAD NOT IMPORTED CONTACTS AND CALANDER ITEMS FROM MY OUTLOOK-ACCOUNT AND WHEN I UNZIPPED THE BACKUP-FILE AND COPIED THE CONTENS TO THE NEW DATABASE LOCATION , THIS OPTION WAS QUITE SIMPLY … GONE AGAIN.

WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE ?
1] DELETING MY OUTLOOK ACCOUNT AND SETTING UP THE SAME OUTLOOK ACCOUNT AND THEN CHECKING THE CHECK-BOX THAT ASKS TO INTERGRATE CONTACTS AND CALANDER-ITEMS ?

I’LL TRY THAT NOW…

Wel… ooofff, that seemed to work… pooh - calmness and serenity returned…

=====================================================================================

FOR FUTURE HUMANS WHO WANT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS or SETUP A NEW WINDOWS ACCOUNT :

ONE - BACKUP WITH THE BACKUP FUNCTION IN EMCLIENT TO A SAVE DESTINATION (CHOOSE LOCATION ON USB OR SEPERATE HARDDRIVE)

TWO - REINSTALL WINDOWS or SETUP NEW WINDOWS ACCOUNT

THREE - DOWNLOAD EMCLIENT-SETUP-FILE AND RUN SETUP or CLICK EMCLIENT-ICON IN START-PROGRAMS

FOUR - IGNORE EMAIL-ACCOUNT-SETUP AND EXIT EMCLIENT or DO NEXT STEP FIRST

FOUR AND A HALF - IF YOU WANT TO , CHANGE DEFAULT DATABASE LOCATION TO YOUR PREFERRED LOCATION AND EXIT PROGRAM

FIVE - UNZIP YOUR BACKUP INTO THE CURRENT DATABASE-LOCATION (see tools/settings/general/database location for where it is located) AND REPLACE EXISTING FILES !

SIX - RUN EMCLIENT

NOTE : INTERGRATING OLD DATA AFTER A WINDOWS REINSTALL ONLY WORKS IF YOU HAVE BACKUPPED YOUR DATA BEFORE REINSTALL OF WINDOWS.

thanks for your help Gary…

btw. my idea is to provide the six steps with the 1st email new users of em-client read/get in their mailbox - 

what do you think Gray and eM Client Team ?  Is that a good idea ?  or do you rather see people sad/hurt when they forgot to backup their data ?

I know now through not ONCE but TWICE falling on eggs with my face - and you know what they say :

https://youtu.be/gFQ-5scQuiE?t=4s 

I would suggest the following:

1. Backup eM Client using Menu > File > Backup and copy the backup file to an external location. You will find the backup file in C:\Users_username_\Documents\eM Client unless you changed the location.
  2. Reinstall Windows.
  3. Install eM Client
  4. Skip account setup and restore using Menu > File > Restore. You can choose an external location for the restore source.
    If you are setting up or changing to another user account on the same Windows installation, simply close eM Client and move the C:\Users_username_\AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder from the one profile to the other.

If you are moving your installation to a new computer, you need to deactivate the license while you still have access to eM Client on the old one. This is done in Menu > Help > License.

I think with more people using IMAP or Exchange to sync between their various devices, it becomes less important to have a backup. Simply entering your email details into a new installation will retrieve all your data.

Of course that is not always the case. If you have anything saved to local folders, that will not be there. Also, if you have items like rules and templates, these are not synced with the server. So it depends on how you use eM Client whether a backup is important or not.

Personally I always backup. Previously it was out of necessity because I was using POP3. Since I transitioned to IMAP, I have an automatic backup scheduled once a week. That takes care of my Rules, templates, and general eM Client settings.