what password to use with iCloud account

Hi, I finally got iCloud syncing working for contacts/calendar with a new iCloud acct. but now get a periodic “Authenticaion Failed error”. It’s not fatal as everything still works, but is very annoying.

I had this for years with Outlook then it mysteriously disappeared. What passwords do I use in the various fields for the new iCloud account? the regular ATT email password or Apple ID? I changed the general one to garbage and things still synced. The calendar and contacts p/w is set to my Apple ID.

I’m on ATT/Yahoo email with eM Client 6.0.21040.0

Question #2 :

Often when reading email it refuses to delete or open email with the error: “The message wasn’t downloaded because you’re not connected to the server”.  I am connected and online!

3-4-5 min later, it will suddenly clear. 

any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi, if you’re setting up an iCloud account, just use the automatic setup using your Apple ID and your apple ID password, but if your apple ID is not a @me.com or an @icloud.com account (you’re using a different domain e.g. @att.net), please follow these instructions on how to setup your iCloud account, http://www.emclient.com/em-with-icloud .

Also please note that eM Client by default only downloads the headers of your messages and only downloads the body when you open the message, thus the message can sometimes not be available at the moment you open it, you could avoid this by using the “Download messages for offline use” option for your account  (or selected folders), using this setting all your email will be downloaded automatically after the message is received.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hi, thanks for the response. I did follow the instructions at that link initially and now think I have it all correct, but still get the “authentication failed” popup randomly every few min or so. It seems to correlate with an incoming email sometimes but not always. I can send myself an email and it does not occur. In general,  I can send/receive just find and now delete with no problems;

just this annoying popup. Had the same thing with Outlook years ago and on researching that found many others with the same problem and no clear solution. it would come and go, then finally just went away. At the time, I was attributing it to an issue with the ATT/Yahoo server.

Any ideas on the popup?

Thanks.

Just realized that the “authentication failed” pop-up also occurs WHEN eMCLIENT IS CLOSED-NOT RUNNING. How can that happen? 

It had been open, but I had exited the app. ???

Hi, in case the application is not running you can not receive an error message from eM Client, unless you have the “close application to tray” option enabled in Tools > Settings > General.
In case you don’t can you please make a screenshot of the error you’re seeing?

Thank you,
Paul.

That particular problem (authentication error) is gone now. Generally, my errors are a moving target. What I did as a science project is delete the iCloud acct (temporairly) and most authentication errors ceased, but still a few - 1 or 2 a day. Now some days later they are gone. Saw the same thing with Outlook years ago leading me to suspect something flaky with the ATT server where IMAP is concerned. Have no idea, just a swag.

I do plan to add the iCloud acct back later today/tomorrow so I can sync with other devices and we’ll see how that goes. The syncing worked great, it was the bleepin authentication error pop-ups.

Now, I still get the intermittent error in trying to delete email. Everything was solid the past 2-3 days and suddenly this comes back. No changes were made to settings. If it runs true to form, it will be fine in 10 minutes, then some hours later or tomorrow come back. Perplexing.

thanks for the replies!

Here’s a thought: I generally put the PC to sleep at night and it goes to sleep  on it’s own during the day. I have not tracked a correlation with this error following awaking from sleep mode vs. a full restart or start from power down.

With Outlook, I did see some difficulty getting it’s footing after sleep  mode vs a full restart. Do  you think that could be an issue?

I do see short term improvement if I close the app (full close) then restart - not a reboot, though I’m sure that wold help too.

Any clues there?

Hi, sorry for my late reply, are you still having issue with your iCloud authentication? In case you do, can you please try to update eM Client to this recent release http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21289/setup.msi and check if the issue persists?

Thank you,
Paul