What happens when one blacklists an email address

Does the blacklisted email get caught and sent straight to Trash? Could someone provide an explanation of what happens to blacklisted emails please.

Probably not possible but I’ll ask anyway, can a rule be created to send an automated reply to the blacklisted email source saying they were undeliverable?

The blacklist moves email address’s or domains you want blacklisted and sends them straight to the Junkmail folder. See eM Client support link extract below.

(eM Client 8.2.1509 Windows example which now has 3 options).

Does eM Client include SPAM filter options? - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software

You blacklist an email address/domain by clicking the button “Move to Junk” and choosing the option “Move to Junk and blacklist email/domain”. This Blacklist is then saved as a Rule in the Rules section.

You can view and manage the Blacklist rule in Menu>Rules. Just select the Blacklist and click the ‘Edit’ button.

A new window with all the domains and addresses in your blacklist will pop up and you can add new items or remove any of the email addresses and domains already in it.

miércoles 08 septiembre 2021 :: 1049hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @Marine

You have 2 options adding to the Blacklist in eMC.

1./ You can enter a domain or an address manually Menu ->Rules ->Blacklist (any subsequent emails will be sent to Junk)
2./ You can ‘Move to Junk’ a received email, this action will add the address to your Blacklist

There are other features if you are using Exchange or Office 365 when server side rules can apply, however, there are restrictions regarding the limitations of the providers’ APIs (probably not important for most as it can get a bit complicated)
As far as I am aware you cannot create a rule in eMC to say a message was undelivered, however, if you are a Gmail user you could use their auto reply, though in my opinion not advisable. It is possible in some SPAM blockers where blacklisted items can be bounced. Also there are differences of opinion concerning this, some say it is better to do nothing, others say it is a good idea. Personally, do nothing as a bounce indicates that there is something that reacted.

¡Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!
¡Mis mejores deseos y mantente a salvo!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo principalmente español, portugués e inglés, también un conocimiento práctico de varios otros.

Thank you for your replies.
:slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

As skybat said, some, like me and him say do nothing. The problem is, that if you got onto a spam list, which is probably why you want to blacklist the sender and not simply write them or unsubscribe, then sending them ANYTHING, confirms that they have a real address that is live. At that point, its resell value increases and you’ll end up on more spam lists.

1 Like