Using multiple databases or local archive folders like Outlook's PSTs

Hi
If you want professional Outlook users to move to eM Client, the issue of PST files should be solved. I have not seen a

I am dealing with almost 100 Outlook PST files (let’s say email folders, stored in my hard disk, as many as I want: I can close all of them, open them all).

Let me explain with just 4 examples:

1. I have for instance a PST file in which I manually move all the CVs I receive,
  2. a PST file in which I manually move all the invoices I receive,
  3. another one in which all the emails I receive for specific tenders are automatically moved to by a rule
  4. a large archive PST file I create at the end of each year to store all the emails I received during the year (I am not likely to reopen that file for years)

I do not need to permanently access all the emails of these PST files (a physical file stored in my hard disk). PST files 1, 2 and 4, for instance: I open them only when I need them. PST file number 3: it is always open, but I close it when my tender is over.

It is as easy as that: if I cannot manage my “archive”, database, local storage files (call them as you want) as I want, I will not migrate to eM Client, which I have just installed and uninstalled.

For my professional use, I need these offline files which you can open when you need them.

Thanks

1 Like

This is a duplicate of a question asked at Offline eM data files/folders (like outlook open .pst file).

Are you suggesting that eM Client moves away for SQL databases, and implements this proprietary (and possibly obsolete) pst format?

I am not saying that. I am saying I should be able to use several databases at the same time. Understand me: when I import PST files into eM Clinet, they are all imported in a single database.

I should be able to have 100 databases, it that’s the name you give them: when I do not need a database weighing 20 Gb, I just close it. I will only reopen it when I need it again.

So: don’t use PSTs, but give me a way to manage several databases at the same time. If tomorrow I want to go back to Outlook, I don’t lose my stuff. Outlook is used globally at almost 30% of total users, and maybe more for the business community.

Thanks

You can do that. Go to Menu > Settings > General > Storage, and select a new location for a second database. Restart eM Client.

Thanks Gary, Will I be able to use several databases simultaneously? That would be a workaround to my need.
2nd question please: will I be able to import the databeses I have been working with to Outlook if I decide to go back to Outlook? Let’s say I am using eM Client databases on Mac. Will I be able ti import, even through a third-part tool, my databases into Outlook PSTs?
The whole issue is being able to maange several databases simultaneously and converting alter on to Outlook if need be.
Thanks

I don’t know what the restrictions are in MS Outlook that necessitated multiple pst files. eM Client does not have any restriction like that, and importing multiple 20GB files into one eM Client database is not going to be a problem. You can have each pst file imported to a separate Local Folder, so that they are not synced with your server if that is an issue. This will allow you immediate simultaneous access to all your data. No need to load other databases, no performance loss. If you wanted to keep each database separate, then there is the time to change the settings and restart eM Client that you need to consider. You will not have simultaneous access to all your data with that method.

eM Client will allow you to export your message data as eml files. With most messaging applications, you can just drag those files directly into the application.