User is authenticated but not connected (using outlook.com email)

EM Client has been working great for over 4 years and last week, I can longer connect to my outlook email. none of the “similar” topics or discussion suggestions have worked. Appreciate any help.

Can you look in Menu > Tools > Operations for any errors in the Log tab.

What version of eM Client are you using?

In the mean-time, one thing you can try as it is an Outlook.com account, is to remove the account from eM Client, then add it again.

There are several errors that I see. I have removed my account and added it back, no success. uninstalled eMClient and added back account. No Success either. at this point I guess I have to find a new client.

MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status)|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM| at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM|— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM| at MailClient.Storage.Synchronization.FolderSynchronizerExtensions.SynchronizeSubfoldersAsync(IFolderSynchronizer synchronizer, Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken)|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM| at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.SynchronizeIntAsync(Boolean forced)|
|6/23/2020 4:07:38 PM| at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<b__0>d.MoveNext()|

What changed last week that could have caused this?

Posting how I solved this here as nothing in this forum worked for me:

Instead of adding and Outlook.com or Office365 account with the Automatic Setup, enter account details manually (selecting EMAIL->Other), I used these settings:

• Incoming server: outlook.office365.com
  • Outgoing server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • User:
  • Password: (Application password generated in your Microsoft Account)

The app password is the important part, the automatic way to add a Outlook account uses a different authentication method which seems to be unstable with eMClient, while with this method eMClient authenticates with this one off app password.

I have not had the error again since.

2 Likes

The recent issue “user is authenticated but not connected” IMAP error 'User is authenticated but not connected' - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software can be solved using the proposed solution here.

@Gary If you can push the message so the previous page can be updated.

I’m just going to add what worked for me to this for anyone else still running into this issue as the proposed fix needed some tweaks. I used the info below. When the test happened I got a green check for the incoming but the outgoing was stuck I think it’s because it’s defaulting to try to use port 25. I just clicked ok then went to the account settings in eM Client and changed the port from 25 to 587 and it appears to all be working now where I can send and receive email.

• Incoming server: outlook.office365.com
  • Outgoing server: smtp.office365.com
  • User: (whatever your email is)
  • Password: (Application password generated in your Microsoft Account)
1 Like