Usare un disco rimovibile per il database

Buongiorno a tutti,
ho bisogno di salvare la maggior parte delle email e conservarle per anni, quindi uso i protolli POP. Avendo ora necessità di lavorare spesso in mobilità ho preso un laptop ed ho tutti i programmi residenti sul PC fisso e sul laptop mentre tutti i dati risiedono su un veloce disco ssd USB3 che mi porto sempre in tasca.
Vorrei fare la stessa cosa con le cartelle di lavoro di em client anche se dovrò acquistare una seconda licenza. Però mi domando: si può fare? Possono esserci problemi nella gestione delle cartelle?

Grazie a chi vorrà interessarsi della cosa
Ciao
Massimo

The best solution is to use IMAP or Exchange, which are specifically designed for this scenario.

With those protocols, all the messages are stored on a server, and can be simultaneously accessed by multiple devices. If you change something on your PC, then immediately it will be the same on the laptop, or your phone.

Grazie Gary ma questo lo sapevo. Però ho necessità di archiviare in locale (oltre backup esterno) sia per rispetto delle norme sulla privacy sia per rispetto dei termini legali di conservazione di molte email (soprattutto delle notificazioni PEC)

IMAP and Exchange are designed to share data in real-time between two or more devices. That means whatever you change on one device will immediately be there on the other. For that to work, all the data needs to be stored on the server.

POP3 does not store data on the server, so it is not possible to sync data between multiple devices.

There is a solution, but it takes time and because it is manual, it is open to user error. To manually sync local folder data between eM Client on two computers you need to disconnect from the Internet and make a backup (Menu > Backup) on one computer when you are finished using it. Then close eM Client on that computer and don’t use it again. Then you need to restore that backup on the other computer (Menu > File > Restore). You can then use the second computer, and when you are finished with it, disconnect from the Internet, do a backup and restore that to the first computer. After the restore you can reconnect the first computer to the Internet. You need to remember at all times which was the last computer you used, and you cannot use them simultaneously. If you have new data on both the first and second computer, with POP3 and other local folders, there is no way to combine that data. You will end up losing changes made on one or both of the computers.

Storing your archived messages outside of eM Client is an option. You can export old messages using Menu > File > Export > Export messages as eml. Each message will be a single file labeled with the date and subject. These files can be opened by most email applications without having to import them. So you open them just like you would a document by double click. You can save these exported messages to a Cloud synced folder, and that could be available to multiple computers.

Grazie ancora, ma quello che vorrei sapere è:
Ho ora tutti i miei file in un disco rimovibile SSD che porto sempre con me.
In ufficio lo collego al PC desktop e a casa e in mobilità lo collego ad un laptop.
Sui PC risiedono le varie applicazioni.
La cosa funziona per tutti i programmi: lavoro sempre sui file aggiornati e mi basta fare frequenti backup di questo disco per avere sicurezza.
Potrebbe funzionare anche per Em Client?
Devo comprare una seconda licenza?
Potrebbero esserci problemi come, per esempio, che il database di Em Client è legato alla specifica copia su quel determianto PC?

It could work if you stored the database on the USB. Then as long as you plugged in the USB before you started eM Client, whether on the PC or Laptop it would use the same data, but it is going to be very slow accessing the database from a USB.

You need one license per computer as the application checks your license against the motherboard ID. You can deactivate the license on one computer and then activate the same license on the other computer, but with sharing data from a USB and all the time activating/deactivating licenses, it is not going to be practical.

Best solution:

Use IMAP or Exchange so the data is automatically synced in real-time between the devices, and purchase one license for each device.

OK, grazie mille Gary.
Per la velocità: sto già usando questo sistema con il PC dove ho una licenza ed molto più veloce il disco SSD sulla USB 3 di quello (più vecchio) collegato sulla SATA del PC
Acquisterò una seconda licenza per il laptop.