Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

I have been putting off upgrading my Windows 7 to Windows 10, mainly because I’m afraid my EM Client files will not successfully transfer.  It appears I will need to make the upgrade due to Microsoft not supporting Windows 7 after January 2020.  

I’m running Windows 7, 64 bit with my EM Client.  Can someone tell me, step by step, if there is anything I need to do after the upgrade to Windows 10 regarding my EM Client folders?  Or will it just automatically/seamlessly do the transfer for me?

Any detailed help would be greatly appreciated!

Well there are still some using Windows XP - but not here though as eM Client doesn’t run on Windows XP. :wink:

The easiest way for you to do this:

1. Make a backup of eM Client using Menu > File > Backup, then save the zip file created somewhere safe.

2. Do the Windows upgrade.

3. After the upgrade if eM Client is not there, download it from the website and install it.

4. If your data is not there after starting the application, use Menu File > Restore and select the zip file that was made in eM Client on Windows 7.

Thank you so much, Gary!  That sounds easy enough.  I have heard horror stories about upgrades to Windows 10.  I guess I just need to get my nerve up and bite the bullet!

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and EM client version 7.2.36465.0. All is working well, but I also have a new PC running Windows 10 and want to move EM onto my new machine. Does the backup zip file also transfer all the account details e.g. Pop server, SMTP port  etc. or do I have to add them manually? Thanks.

Yes, the backup zip file will move everything (except for the license) to the other computer.

If you copy the zip file to a USB drive and have any difficulty restoring it onto the new computer, copy it to the hard drive then try the restore again.

If you are going to continue using eM Client on both computers, you will need to register a second license for the Windows 10 computer. If not, deactivate the license on the Windows 7 computer (eM Client > Menu > Help > License) then activate it on the other computer.

Thanks Gary, that is really helpful. I hadn’t thought about the license as I’m using the free version. Will it still be ok for my wife to have a separate account as we have now?

Separate account means you have separate user profiles on the same computer, or you have separate email accounts setup in eM Client?

We log on to the computer separately so presumably that means we have separate user profiles.

Right. So you each need to do your own backup of eM Client, and restore them separately into your new profiles on the Windows 10 computer. Only one of you needs to deactivate/activate the license.

BTW, if you have lost the activation key, you can have it resent to you at https://www.emclient.com/lost-activation-key

Cheers thanks. I’ll do it later in the week and let you know how it goes. Presently cleaning up the old machine so I don’t clutter up the new one with things I don’t need any more. Wish me luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help Gary … all went well! Now I have everything I need on a new super fast computer (without having to buy Outlook!).