Upgrade to v8 - full disaster

@vickilh2 Have you tried a repair of your eM Client installation? Could be it’s just something small missed during the downgrade.

Actually, the calendar list on my re-installed version 7 had begun working again. It now has older undismissed reminders and the brand new ones – missing the chunk in between while taking care of Em Client issues. Thanks!

Hi vickilh2 !
Sorry for delayed answer.
As I see you solve your question.

Answer is - no.
I stupidly didn’t backup v7 data files. v.8 update database version to v3. When I uninstall it and install v7 again it needs database files v1. Now I can’t use my mail at all on EM. Using it on notebook with outlook and trying to find a way to import sent items in different mail client from EM. Still without success.

That is my status.
Regards!

Were you using IMAP or POP?

Did you follow the downgrade instructions?
https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/0/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-7

Apparently the deleting/renaming the database is a really important step that a lot of people overlook and it causes a lot of problems.

1 Like

I’ll reply to both rafikiphoto and Hope777.

rafikiphoto:
I’m using IMAP.
And yes… I have all incoming mail on server. But I have a lot of rules and that incoming mails are organized in folders and subfolders. To do it again will be desperate task. OK - desperate but possible. Problems are Sent items. They are important for me.

Hope777:
Yes I red the instruction.
As I already wrote stupidly or naive (or both), I didn’t make backup before upgrade to v8. I can write ton excuses, but fact is a fact. As I don’t want to loose all that I explain to rafikiphoto, I don’t want to begin from scratch. Other possibility is export and import in v7. That is also not possible. When I start v8 I have approximately 10-15 seconds of normal operation (new mail arrived, I can open menus and delete mails). After that short window application crashes. I barely could open menus to that point.

Actually in my current situation there is no effective move. I have to wait new working version of v8. Sadly, more than half month from my stupid decision to upgrade - I could download only non working (for me) version 8.0.2951.

As I could summarize - no light at the end of the tunnel…

We are talking about the EMC backup I think but do you, by chance, take regular system backups? I lost all my rules (can’t remember how) and went to an older Macrium Reflect backup disk image and managed to extract just the rules files and successfully restored them to EMC. If you do I can give you the names of the files to search for.
Are your Sent mails not on the server?

Hi rafikiphoto !

Thanks for advises.
I have backup but it is little old. Still have to deal with at least 2 months.
If I had fresh - long time ago I had been back on v7.
And for IMAP - I was wrong. I’m using POP3 with setting to delete only mail deleted in client. That’s why my sent items stays only on a local computer. I set up account few years ago, and when I was writing in previous posts, I was mistaken. Sory.

But there is a GOOD NEWS !
Returning back late this evening I check EM Client site for any information and almost automatically check for new version. And what surprise !

There was 8.0.3283.

No wasting time (understand that put for later time my already late dinner) I install new version.
After database check (takes longer than previous times) EM Client interface appears on my screen. I start counting … 1… 5… 9… 10… 15… 20… 30… it still stays there, no error message. I start browsing trough mails… no problem… I switch on my rules (I manage to switch them off during 10-15 seconds working window on previous version, just if the problem was there) an run each one against inbox. They run successfully. All new mail was parsed and necessary mails was moved to right folders.

Then I clean all not marked spam messages, delete unnecessary new mails and successfully clean spam and deleted folders.

Everything works fine !
If tomorrow I could start it again, it will be great.
For now I’ll stop because I’m too tired and hungry and it is almost midnight here.

Good work for developer team.
I could imagine what nightmare was last few weeks for them.
Release of v8 was to early.
And guys (if somebody from the team is reading) shit happens. Little more communication and dialog with community will help both sides. I think that this new version will not fix everything, but it is a good step in a right direction.

1 Like

Great news! Now…BACKUP!

Yes ! Few times !
Still working well… Cross my fingers…

Fuhur,
Same issue with me as well. Lost a lot of important saved emails and contacts that I don’t seem to be able to get back. The eM developers have made this much too complex. One must spending time investigating how and where eM Client saves its data, settings and backups in order to understand how to deal with this situation. Problem is, you’d need to do all that BEFORE the upgrade, which I didn’t. I didn’t even know about this forum BEFORE I upgraded. Now I know more, but its too late. If I can’t get my email and folders back soon, I’ll give up on this application and use Thunderbird or some other open source application since paying for a proprietary solution does not seem to buy us good support anymore.

1 Like

I switched to Mailspring which works great and on every system : Mac, Windows, Linux ; which is great as I use all three.

But I still hope they’ll release a fix.

I hate V8 too… at the point i’m thinking about finding another client. I’m using it with gmail and now i’m losing message when i try to move them under “folders”, the message is dissappearing from the inbox but is not in my other folder. I need to go to all messages then move it again and now it works… not always refreshing, need to close and reopen it…

I also experience most of the problems noted here. Using v8 on WIndows 7.

Has anyone also noted that if you have an EMclient message compose window open, and you then want to leave that window temporarily and go to your desktop with “Show desktop” button, that nothing happens then? Desktop not appearing, and EMclient freezes. That is in addition to many of the other problems mentioned here. Seems in this v8 behaviour has changed in the sense that if you now close the main EMClient window, it no longer automatically closes all other EMClient windows. Used to do that in version 7, which worked well and makes far more sense than leaving them open. I think this new management of the EMClient windows must be at the heart of many of the problems. Stupid change.

Wish I had never upgraded. And I don’t get any responses anymore from the support desk. Very annoying and will go look for good alternatives. Pity since I liked v7 a lot.

viernes 23 octubre 2020 :: 1149hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @JossSwan

If you really want to move back to eMC v7
Here’s what to do:

https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/11/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-7

¡Saludos desde la soleada España!

Skybat

[email protected]

1 Like

As long as all your data is synced with a server, you can uninstall version 8, making sure to select deleting the database directory when prompted, then download and install version 7 from the Release History. Add your account and all will be back to normal. (See @skybat’s link above for details) Just make sure not to upgrade to version 8 if prompted.

If your support ticket is being ignored, log in to the Pro Support web page and increase the priority of the ticket from low to medium.