The free license v10 was installed as a non MSIX, i.e. directly into program files (x86). Do I need to uninstall it before upgrading to V11 (MSIX only?), or will it upgrade in place?
You should find your answer here:
Ok, uninstalled v11 msix, and re-installed v11 msi. All seems to work ok, except I no longer have license information. Previously with the v11 msix install I had a free license listed, carried over from when I had v10.
Never mind, my bad, I fould license info.
One last question, is there any disadvantage to riding the msi horse forever, other than slower updates?
Yes, there is a huge one, support for multiple processor architectures. We now support 3 of them on Windows (x86, x64 and ARM). With MSI all of them would need to be included in MSI, which means 500 MB+ packages instead of cca 170 MB.
And another huge one. With MSIX updates can happen when application is running (same mechanism as Chrome uses). This is not possible with MSI, that means interruption of work because of the update and issues with exiting running application, overwriting files, sometimes restart is necessary.
And another big advantage is that administrator privileges is no longer needed, which make deployment easier in some environments.
You gave disadvantages to your company, how about for the customer? I have now installed the msi version, will I be able to update over time? If I upgrade from the free license to paid will I be able to update?
I don’t understand. All of the things mentioned are disadvantages for user too (downloading 170 MB is obviously better than 500+, never be bothered by pending update because it is done in the background and be able to install it easier with no need for administrator rights). The msi upgrade package for 11 is just an easy migration path to a new installation infrastructure. You won’t be able to use msi packages for upcoming updates of v11. Why would you need that or ask for that? There is no difference whether you use free or paid version in that respect.