Update gives an error

Wenn I try to uipdate I got a message.

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that s not available

Something you can try:

Uninstall eM Client making sure NOT to delete the database directory when asked. Then download and install the latest version again from the Release History.

Yes. But I had a lot of problems with that last time. So rather not.
My database is on the D partition and apparently that was the problem.

Anyway, the solution is there, and won’t give you any problems. It is up to you if you want to use it.

Actually, the fault lies with eM-Client. Why does an update ask for a file on the CD rom or the external disk. And why is not the name of the searched file given in the error message. Seems to be a programming error.

I already gave you the solution to fix it, but you are not interested.

Maybe someone else will comment and give you the solution you want.

@Efel Sounds like something went wrong when you originally installed eM Client if you are getting asked for a CDRom or other Removable device when checking for updates and would be impossible to know how to fix that. I suspect that is some sort of eg: Registry error if you have Windows.

So as @Gary says, the only way to fix it is to uninstall eM Client and “Don’t” delete the database when uninstalling, and finally reinstall the latest version.

Note:- Before you uninstall, click “Menu / Backup” and make a backup of your current version.

I am getting this error when installing the latest version. There is an old version listed in my apps that I cannot remove/uninstall. I was trying to reinstall it because of a problem, now I can’t even get it to work again. Have I lost all my emails?

It asks for a setup.msi on a CD-Rom. when I click cancel or ok it quits installation.

1 Like

@WestWindHardwood

There is an old version listed in my apps that I cannot remove/uninstall. I was trying to reinstall it because of a problem.

If you have Windows, as you cannot uninstall eM Client due to whatever reason, try first copying the following eM Client “hidden folder” (C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client) to a temporary folder eg: C:\temp folder on your hard-disk & external drive too for safe keeping.This hidden folder holds your mailbox database and settings etc.

Then once copied rename that AppData\Roaming\eM Client hidden folder to eg: Old-eM Client.

Next manually delete the following eM Client folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client). Then try re-installing the same or later version of eM Client from the release history page.

If that then reinstalled ok, then open eM Client and skip / cancel the initial setup and close the program. Then delete the contents of the new eM Client AppData\Roaming\eM Client folder, and replace it with the contents of your original renamed Old-eM Client folder.

Finally open eM Client & that should then pickup your original mail database and settings and work.

If you still have errors installing, then you have some sort of registry Windows issue and might need to try using the Microsoft installer / uninstaller troubleshoot program from their website or manually try some other registry cleaners like eg: Wise or CCleaner etc.

Note:- Before running the Microsoft Installer / Uninstaller Troubleshooter or any Registry cleaners, backup your Registry first. See the Microsoft links for Win 8.1 / Win 10 & Win 11 on how to do that.

Have I lost all my emails?

There is no way for us to know if you have lost any emails.

If you can get it reinstalled and find some of your emails are missing when you get into eM Client, then if you have been doing regular eM Client backups either manually via “Menu / Backup” or automatically via “Menu / Settings / General / Backup” then you can restore a recent backup via “Menu / File / Restore”. eM Client .zip backups are by default in your user profile “C:\Documents\eM Client” folder.

Hi Cyberzork. Same problem, but still no solution. I tried to find some alternative program, but no use. This is the only program that works for me.