Unable to open EM Client after V8.1 upgrade

Yesterday I received an EM Client notification of the v8.1 upgrade and I chose to initiate the process by following the on-screen prompts. There were warnings about other programmes being open at the same time (which there weren’t) and eventually the upgrade ceased to download fully and left me with no access to EM Client at all. The EM Client logo is still on the Task bar but does not respond to activation. Any ideas as to how I can restore the programme?

Bruce Aitken

Uninstall eM Client, then delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ folder if it exists.

Download and install eM Client from the latest version in the Release History

Thanks for that, Gary - much appreciated. One question though which stupidly I forgot to mention earlier, is that I have a mass of of files of eM Client ‘traffic’ which it is essential I maintain. Will uninstalling eM Client not cause the loss of those files? Incidentally I can still access them, despite not being able to run eM Client, although they come up as ‘EML Files’.
Bruce

No, uninstalling eM Client will not automatically delete any files stored outside of the C:\Program Files (x86)\eM Client\ folder. Also during the uninstall you will be asked if you want to delete the database directory. If you choose Yes, the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder will also be deleted. If you choose No, all the data and settings you currently have in eM Client will still be there after the reinstall.

As a precaution, you can make a backup using Menu > Backup and that will keep your database safe.

But if the eml files are stored somewhere else, they will not be affected by an uninstall.

Thanks Gary, that worked perfectly. Another happy customer!
Regards,
Bruce

1 Like