Unable to have identical Start and End dates in a calendar event

When I create a new calendar event, I am unable to set the Start and End dates and times to be equal. I get this message:

“The end date and the start you entered are identical”

I have events that are instantaneous in that they start and end at the same time. I also have events that start at a time and have no definite end time.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

It was added to our official feature requests list and we will consider what will we do about that situation.

I like to have reminder entries in my calendar. Thus they need to have an entry time only. There is no durance or end time.

Hello,

You can use “Tasks” instead of Calendar events for reminders, they are much more comfortable to do this.

regards
Jan

Hi John,

thanks for this quick reply.

Indeed “Tasks” are an option but in the way I want to handle some reminders they don’t help.

Let me explain: I have some series of entries in my calendar repeating once a week, every second week or once a month. They remind me e. g. to set out the garbage can.

Defined as a an calendar entry I have a perfect view on these kind of periodical ‘tasks’. Furthermore I manage these tasks in a separate Google Calendar which I can easily share with my family. And there is one more benefit: I will get a reminder mail 12 hours before.

These calendar entries serve only as reminders. Therefore they don’t have a duration. Unfortunately there is no entry type ‘Reminder’ as I know it from Lotus Notes. So they need besides the start time also a setting for the end time. Managing the calendar in Google identical to the start time - in eM Client sadly not. If I want to change such an entry in eM Client I’m forced to set the end time differing from the start time.

Handling the chores in the described way deems me much more comfortable and more clearly arranged than putting them in the task list which would flow over.

Best regards

Reiner

Hello,

I have realized- have you used recurring event without end? When you are creating event there is “recurrence” tab and there can be set “no end date”.

does this solve your issue?

regards
Jan

Hello Jan,

yes, I have several series with not end dates. But for the single entry you need to have an end time which is not the same as the start time.

So, this does not solve the issue.

Best regards

Reiner

Hello,

then I am sorry, Event is by definition something that starts and ends, that is why we will not implement this. It could cause misinformation and more problems than it would solve.

regards
Jan