Unable to delete a category

I have two unwanted categories that I am not able to delete. Every other category gives me the option, but when I select either of these the delete key is grayed out. Any idea how to get rid of them? Thank you.

Hi Mike,
which categories are these? I’m afraid some of the default categories cannot be deleted.

Regards,
Olivia

The two categories are “Starred in Android” and “Coworkers” I select remove in the category list and they go away but are back on the list the next time I start the program. The reason I want to delete them is because they are displayed on the left side of the contacts screen (shown below) but they are not being used and contain no contacts.

I neglected to mention that the Delete button at the top of the screen is grayed out when I select either of the categories I would like to remove. Even if they can’t be deleted I would like to remove them from this list.

Hi Mike,
I looked into this and the catch is actually in the fact that these are default categories made by gmail - so even if we try to delete it from eM Client, once it synchronizes your account anew, gmail forces the category back in.
According to google’s support (https://support.google.com/mail/answe…) these categories can’t be deleted or changed even from server. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Olivia

Thank you Olivia!

I’d also love to be able to hide the unwanted categories. But even if you live with them, they don’t seem to work!

Reluctantly, I decided to try using ‘Coworkers’: I assigned it to a contact, but the contact doesn’t show up if I click on the ‘Coworkers’ folder. In Gmail, it shows that the contact has actually been placed in a group called ‘Colleagues’ which doesn’t seem to show up in eM Client.

I tried renaming ‘Coworkers’ to ‘Colleagues’ and assign it to another contact. This made ‘Colleagues’ appear in the folder list (and both contacts show within it), but ‘Coworkers’ is still there in the folder list.

This is a bit silly - I can’t hide or get rid of ‘Coworkers’ but I can’t use it either!

Hi Chris,
yes, seems the Coworkers category is indeed bugged, and we are sorry for the inconvenience, but this is an issue with google, that we cannot fix from our side.

Regards,
Olivia

Hi Olivia - thanks for the quick response.

Please can you consider a “Hide empty categories” option so that we can all tidy up the duff categories from the screen?

I’m still experimenting with categories and it seems that I can’t get ‘Family’ or ‘Friends’ to work either. I’ve assigned all my contacts to these, and the contacts show up with the correct group in Google, and also with the right categories in eM Client’s contacts lists (i.e. if I select ‘My Contacts’, each contact knows what categories it has), but they don’t show up if I click on the category ‘folder’ name (it just says “There are no contacts to show in this view”). (By contrast, I have a category called ‘Work’, and those contacts do show up as I’d expect.)

Surely if eM Client knows that they’re in a category, it ought to display them when I select on the category name?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Friends and Family are also categories shared with Google, as shown in the answer from Google themselves I shared above - https://support.google.com/mail/answe…
They can still work as labels, but in gmail they cannot work as a full category anymore and they also cannot be deleted. (though they seem less bugged than the Coworker category).
We cannot re-program those, as this is already bugged on Gmails side. As you see, categories of different names made in eM Client work fine.
We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Olivia