umlauts / german special characters

Hello,
I want to change my email client from MS Outlook 2010 to eM Client Version 7.1.32088.0, but the issue with the german special characters (umlauts) ä/Ä,ö/Ö,ü/Ü and ß are still existent over the last years. Currently I have both clients working simultaneously. I sent an email to myself, first via outlook, then via eM client. The content in this email in subject and text is exactly the same >ä ö ü ß Ä Ö Ü<.></.>Both emails in outlook are shows correctly as ä ö ü ß Ä Ö Ü. The email sent via outlook are shown also correctly in eM client, but the email sent via eM client are shown as ä ö Ã1⁄4 ß Ä Ö Ãœ in eM client. Here are the headers of both emails:

Outlook Version 2010 (14.0.7192.5000) 32 Bit:

Received: from [192.168.12.20]
   by KEN (4.01.25-v100211) with SMTP
   ; Mon, 12 Feb 2018 21:10:22 +0100
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 21:10:21 +0100
From: “Burger John (HO)” <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
Subject: =?iso-8859-1?B?5CD2IPwg3yDEINYg3A==?=
To: <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
Reply-To: <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
Message-Id: !AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAIFTbnRqF2NJlEnf…>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related;
   boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00A2_01D3A445.E4BBADC0"
X-KENRecTime: 1518466222
Return-Receipt-To: “Burger John (HO)” <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
Thread-Index: AdOkPYC8J/qWF+n+Ru+l4TKIcYW6tw==
Content-Language: de-at
X-AVK-Virus-Check: AVA 25.16002;75975
X-AVK-Spam-Check: 1;str=0001.0A0C0203.5A81F4AE.00C7,ss=1,re=0.000,recu=0.000,reip=0.000,cl=1,cld=1,fgs=0;4BF883A
X-AVK-Spam-Check: 1;str=0001.0A0C0203.5A81F4B2.003E,ss=1,re=0.000,recu=0.000,reip=0.000,cl=1,cld=1,fgs=0;4BF883A

eM Client Version 7.1.32088.0

Received: from [192.168.12.20]
   by KEN (4.01.25-v100211) with SMTP
   ; Mon, 12 Feb 2018 21:11:06 +0100
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 20:11:06 +0000
From: “Burger John” <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
Subject: =?utf-8?q?=c3=a4=20=c3=b6=20=c3=bc=20=c3=9f=20=c3=84=20=c3=96=20=c3=9c?=
To: J.Burger@Burger-Service.at
Reply-To: “Burger John” <J.Burger@Burger-Service.at>
Message-Id:
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="------=_MB30F2EE65-AD15-4B7C-B0F9-BF8CA9EFF2AD"
X-KENRecTime: 1518466266
User-Agent: eM_Client/7.1.32088.0
X-AVK-Virus-Check: AVA 25.16002;75975
X-AVK-Spam-Check: 1;str=0001.0A0C0204.5A81F4DA.014F,ss=1,re=0.000,recu=0.000,reip=0.000,cl=1,cld=1,fgs=0;4BF883A
X-AVK-Spam-Check: 1;str=0001.0A0C0204.5A81F4DD.00E8,ss=1,re=0.000,recu=0.000,reip=0.000,cl=1,cld=1,fgs=0;4BF883A

Please give me a solution of this issue via email to J.Burger@Burger-Service.at

kind regards
John Burger

I created new emls from your headers, and they both show up correctly in eM Client.

Are these emails on an IMAP server or in local POP3 folders?

Hello Gary

Thank you for your reply and your attempt to help.
I use an old AVM KEN!4 Server which works as IMAP server, but it works well until now.
Yes, you’re right, both emails are shown correctly - I don’t understand it.


But see what your greeting in the footer look like.

The attachments I sent you will be opened as local items, so they are not affected by the IMAP server.

There was a problem recently where this happened with another IMAP server. https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/problem-to-showing-national-caraters-in-mail-adress-alias This only affects the header and not the body as far as I understand from Olivia’s official response.

I am not sure why Grüße in the body is not correctly encoded. I have sent you the email again from Thunderbird to see if there is a difference. It would help if you had a different email account on another server to check if it is the server or not.

I am also wondering if this problem was not there before you upgraded to the latest version?

I’m sorry, but this is a mistake. I currently use MS Outlook 2010, but want to change this email client to another one. So I downloaded this eM client four days ago for checking it. It looks good but this issues with the special characters prevent a switch.

Yes, it may be an incompatibility between eM Client and specific servers. As Olivia said in her comment on the quoted thread above, there is some misunderstanding on the server. It may be that with some other email clients that configuration is not an issue because of the way they handle IMAP.  Usually, when the email is received through POP3, or another server the problem is not there.

Those who have Pro Licenses and experience these problems should create support tickets for this so that the incompatibility can be fixed.