Two computers sharing same database?

I have a desktop Mac and a MacBook. At the moment, there is no way to automatically sync two separate databases so I tried installing emClient on the Mac and putting the database on iCloud. I then installed emClient on the MacBook and pointed it to the same iCloud folder as the Mac. No joy; they still seem to have separate databases.
Does anyone have an idea of how to get the two to use the same database please?

If you have added the same iCloud IMAP account on more than one computer with the same login name and password, then they will be exactly the same.

However, if they are different iCloud IMAP accounts with different login names and passwords, then you cannot normally sync them together as they have a different mail database for each one.

So login to both computers with the same iCloud account name and password & you will be fine.

Hi Cyberzork! I can’t use IMAP and need to ‘POP’ the emails to a local database, as they can’t be left on a remote server. Both boxes are using the same iCloud login and can both see the same mail database folder. I go the Mac set-up fine but when I installed emClient on the MacBook, it did not pick up the existing database despite being pointed to the same iCloud folder. I’m going to backup the Mac database and try again.

They’re both using the same iCloud login and can both see the mail database folder. I go the Mac set-up fine but when I installed emClient on the MacBook, it did not pick up the existing database

I would suggest then on the first Mac computer, backup eM Client via the “Menu / Backup” dropdown option along the top, and once backed up, copy that backup file it creates to your MacBook “to the same eM Client backup folder location” and then restore that backup via the “Menu / Restore” dropdown option along the top in eM Client. It will then be exactly the same database & settings etc as your first Mac setup.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve done this every way I can think of and no joy. I’ve even tried copying the backup file so it can be restored simultaneously on both boxes but all that happens is that the database resets and both copies of emClient start a fresh setup. It seems that a shared database is a no-go. Without this and without any way to sync emClient across two machines, it is a dead end for business use. I Amy be forced to head back to the older kit and run Office 2013 Outlook and Android K9Mail as I can sync those seven ways from Sunday.

You can’t access the same database from two devices, and you can’t store the database in the cloud either.

If you have two devices that you want to share the same data, they both need to connect to the same email account using either IMAP or Exchange. That is the way you sync data between multiple devices, as those protocols are especially designed to do that. There is no other way.

@Lapsarian

I can’t use IMAP and need to ‘POP’ the emails to a local database, as they can’t be left on a remote server.

Why not just pay for iCloud space so you can then share the same remote mailbox on multiple computers with eM Client and all your other devices. ICloud space is cheap these days.

Also according to this Apple web page below, “they don’t support POP” and only IMAP with iCloud. So you would have to use IMAP to share the same mailbox remotely in eM Client or any third party apps if you want to use Apple iCloud mail.

(iCloud Mail server settings)

“iCloud Mail uses the IMAP and SMTP standards supported by most modern email client apps. iCloud Mail does not support POP.”