Two 0 B files uploaded to Google drive every time eM Client is started

It’s taken a while to figure out that this was being caused by eM Client, but for some reason I have two 0 B files uploaded to the Google Drive of my attached email account every time eM client is started or my PC is woken up from deep sleep. Each file is uploaded and shared to anyone who has the shared link.
This is at the very least a serious violation of my trust in the application and at worst a violation of my privacy.

All the files have the same name, a 32-character long, upper case, hexadecimal @ a domain to which I’ve previously emailed a bit with, e.g. [email protected] (not the actual file name).

It might be important to note that I’ve emailed to some accounts on this domain using encryption from eM client and have a few PGP and S/MIME keys associated with accounts on this domain. None of the fingerprints of the keys match that of the file name.

Each file is 0 B and empty, but the metadata has built up enough that they’ve filled a significant portion of my storage space in the drive. It is currently using about 6.6 GB of my cloud storage.

I am currently using eM Client version 9.2.1735 (3d90379) on Windows 10 21H2 (OS build 19044.2846).

I have two 0 B files uploaded to the Google Drive of my attached email account every time eM client is started or my PC is woken up from deep sleep

Where abouts in your Google drive are these 0 B files uploaded to ?

The only time that I have seen eM Client use Google drive, is when you attach files and select to use your cloud drive. So if you have added / allowed eM Client access to your Google drive, and the select that for the attachments, it uploads those attachments to your “Google Drive / eM Attachments” folder. You can remove that if you choose via “Menu / Settings / Mail / Attachments” See documentation below.

(eM Client with Google Drive)
https://www.emclient.com/em-with-google-drive

In the root directory (“My Drive”). This also makes it much harder to delete them all. I will probably have to resort to writing a script to delete them all.

AFAIK I have never used this feature. Furthermore I have checked the Cloud Storage Providers setting in Menu > Settings > Mail > Attachments > Cloud Storage Providers which is empty. Finally, I do not have a sub-directory on my drive named eM Attachments.

In the root directory (“My Drive”). This also makes it much harder to delete them all. I will probably have to resort to writing a script to delete them all.

Ok that is very unusual. I’ve personally have no eM Client uploaded files in my Google Drive / My Drive root directory using eM Client for PC or Mac whether I start up normally or from sleep mode.

Sounds to me like something outside of eM Client installed causing this to happen.

I would suggest that if you have purchased eM Client Pro which includes 12 months VIP support , then go to the the following support page and login at the top left with your registered email address and password and lodge a support ticket.

This is only a free user forum so we can only offer limited help.

I have confirmed that it is eM Client by capturing the traffic during the startup of the application using Fiddler and matching the PID. I can find the 6 specific API calls to googleapis.com for creating the two files and adding the sharing permissions.

My employer does have a license for eM client (which is where I use it). I have opened a ticket on this as well.

Leaving this here for posterity:

It turns out the issue was that I had somehow imported a calendar event into my calendar without being an attendee or organizer (not necessarily a problem). It seems like this might’ve also somehow caused the event to have a 0 B attachment.

On startup eM Client would then upload the attachment, attempt to upload the corresponding event, fail silently since I was not neither attendee nor organizer, and then retry everything again. Upon failure the uploaded files are not removed and the client would try again on next startup.

By removing the event I no longer have the files being uploaded.

2 Likes