Trying to migrate from BTYahoo

I would love to migrate my emails from BTYahoo, and have eM Client, but, having set it up I can’t see the  numerous folders I have created in BTYahoo… Sorry to say my tek skills are a bit limited, so I may need an idiot’s guide. Can anybody help?

Hi Peter,
how have you set up this account? (POP/IMAP? It will need to be IMAP to sync your folders) Are you able to send and receive emails from this account? Are there any error messages in Tools>Oprations>Error or Log windows?

Best regards,
Olivia

Hello, Olivia, Thank you for getting back to me.

As far as I can tell, there doesn’t seem to be an IMAP option, I’ve got General, POP, SMTP options only. Yes I can receive emails (haven’t tried to send one). The error window says it failed to connect, and the Log is full of POP type lines.

Best Regards, 

Peter

Hi Peter,
POP is a protocol that, by default, only downloads new unread messages to the device you are checking the email from and removes them from the server.
You will either have to download/export the mails from BTYahoo and import them to eM Client manually through File > Import, or set up your account again as IMAP.
Imap synchronizes everything with the server, so it can sync all folders and messages.
If you already have some messages downloaded from the through POP that are no longer on the server, I suggest exporting them for back up or moving them to local folders so you don’t lose them.

Regards,
Olivia

We may be seeing some light here, Olivia. When you say “set up your account again as IMAP” do you mean my eM Client account? I guess so, so presumably uninstall it, and then install it and hope to see an IMAP option as I go through the process? It doesn’t feature in what I have now.

Sorry to sound so dim, but as they say “you only know what you know”!!

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,
first I will just stress the important to either export your current mails before you reset your account or saving them to the local folders (File > Export for export, Tools > Settings > General>Show local folders to enable local folders).

As for the IMAP setup, go to Tools > Accounts > New Account > Mail > Other and here you manually choose to set your incoming and outgoing server. Choose IMAP for incoming.

Best regards,
Olivia